Oil Change overfill

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 10:32 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Oil Change overfill

Context for a hopefully simple question:
5k maintenance at dealership. Oil change done, but 1/2 inch over full line.

All I want to know is approximately how many quarts a 1/2 inch would be.
Old 08-08-17, 12:00 PM
BossMoss
Pole Position

Received 129 Likes on 75 Posts

On my Tundra, 1 quart takes me from the bottom line on the dipstick to the midway point between the lines, and it has an 8q capacity. I'm guessing that is about ½ inch. The RC-F with a 10 qt capacity should move a similar distance. So, if you are ½ inch over the fill line, that is likely 2 quarts over an ideal fill. The only way to know is to drain your oil and measure. I'm sort of doubting that you installed a drain valve though, if you're letting the dealer do your oil changes.
Old 08-08-17, 12:50 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

same thing happened to me and many others, I went back and they fixed it , just be really nice about it. they tried to give me some flack that though its not a big deal but just keep asking politely. like a broken record they'll fix it. also ask to see the line on the stick before you sign the paper when your done.
Old 08-08-17, 01:10 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BossMoss
On my Tundra, 1 quart takes me from the bottom line on the dipstick to the midway point between the lines, and it has an 8q capacity. I'm guessing that is about ½ inch. The RC-F with a 10 qt capacity should move a similar distance. So, if you are ½ inch over the fill line, that is likely 2 quarts over an ideal fill. The only way to know is to drain your oil and measure. I'm sort of doubting that you installed a drain valve though, if you're letting the dealer do your oil changes.
2 quarts seems a bit much for 1/2 inch?
That would also be a drastic overfill and I should be able to feel/smell it rather quickly I'd imagine...

Just for reference: I had a trusted master tech put in 9.5 fl oz after drain.
Also, free oil change is hard to beat even with a bit of overfill.
Will be doing my own oil change moving forward as well.
Old 08-08-17, 07:13 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

9.5 fluid oz or quarts?
Old 08-08-17, 10:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Same thing happened to me during my so called FREE 10k mile Service. It was like some one inch and a half at least overfill. I took the time out and called and went back to show them. I wanted to DOCUMENT it. They drained it to the proper level.

But if you don't have the time or just want to get it to the correct level, you could use the following fluid extractor (I use this for my oil change on my MB since the oil filter set on top of the engine and don't need to go under the MB. Just stick the long tubing catheter down the oil fill dip stick by taking the oil dip stick out and give it a few pumps and you will see oil getting sucked out. When it gets to the one quart Mark or where you estimate the excess oil amount just pull back on the long tubing catheter and let it stop sucking. Be careful if the engine is hot bc the oil will be hot too!! Also wear gloves and eye protection to avoid oil contact if you accidentally splatter the oil.

LASTLY don't forget to replace the oil dipstick and check the oil level.

Good luck.

https://m.harborfreight.com/23-gal-m...tor-62643.html

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Context for a hopefully simple question:
5k maintenance at dealership. Oil change done, but 1/2 inch over full line.

All I want to know is approximately how many quarts a 1/2 inch would be.
Old 08-09-17, 07:36 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
9.5 fluid oz or quarts?
lol Rick quarts.
You know what I meant haha
Old 08-09-17, 07:39 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Same thing happened to me during my so called FREE 10k mile Service. It was like some one inch and a half at least overfill. I took the time out and called and went back to show them. I wanted to DOCUMENT it. They drained it to the proper level.

But if you don't have the time or just want to get it to the correct level, you could use the following fluid extractor (I use this for my oil change on my MB since the oil filter set on top of the engine and don't need to go under the MB. Just stick the long tubing catheter down the oil fill dip stick by taking the oil dip stick out and give it a few pumps and you will see oil getting sucked out. When it gets to the one quart Mark or where you estimate the excess oil amount just pull back on the long tubing catheter and let it stop sucking. Be careful if the engine is hot bc the oil will be hot too!! Also wear gloves and eye protection to avoid oil contact if you accidentally splatter the oil.

LASTLY don't forget to replace the oil dipstick and check the oil level.

Good luck.

https://m.harborfreight.com/23-gal-m...tor-62643.html
Thanks for the tip.
Might buy one of these down the road.
For now, dealership will fix it for free so I'll take advantage of that.
Old 08-12-17, 09:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, just remember that usually in most of these dealerships the guy changing your oil is the least experienced and lowest paid person in the entire shop!!! I hope this is not true in the OPERATING room!!! LOL. Just kidding....

Originally Posted by MisterEun
Thanks for the tip.
Might buy one of these down the road.
For now, dealership will fix it for free so I'll take advantage of that.
Old 08-12-17, 09:26 PM
kizzzm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, just remember that usually in most of these dealerships the guy changing your oil is the least experienced and lowest paid person in the entire shop!!! I hope this is not true in the OPERATING room!!! LOL. Just kidding....
this usually isn't the case. I was an auto tech for 8 years and everyone did oil changes.
Old 08-12-17, 09:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Maybe at Toyota/Nissan/Honda dealerships. Or maybe your dealership just do AMAZING and EXCELLENT work.

But at the Lexus dealership where this incident happened with RCF, he was the least experienced and the lowest paid guy in the shop. The Master tech came out to look at my RCF when I took it back, I overheard him saying he can not believe "XYZ" did this. So obviously the MASTER tech did not PERSONALLY change my oil (I was not expecting him to, but at least someone who knows to check the oil level AFTERWARDS).

SIMILARLY at the Porsche/MB dealer in that same town where I used to take my MB for service, there is ONLY ONE MASTER CERTIFIED PORSCHE tech there!!! And he AIN'T there everyday when they are open. So do they suspend Porsche service when the guy is not there? I seriously doubt it.

Originally Posted by kizzzm
this usually isn't the case. I was an auto tech for 8 years and everyone did oil changes.
Old 09-04-17, 06:46 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Just had my 10K done and they filled it with 10 quarts (takes 9.3) so had to remove .7, guess they were rounding up.

I've had this happen a few previous cars with different dealers and don't bother having them fix it anymore, I just drain the excess myself.

I just keep some 1/4" (I think) clear tubing on hand and use the top of a hand soap dispenser. Takes a little longer than a larger pump, but cheap and easy. Bought a few soap dispenser on sale on clearance at Lowes when I bought the tubing.