RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Advice on buying a used RC F

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 11:51 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Thanks for the help. I just pulled the trigger on this. It's a Certified 2015 with 3,000 miles. Got them down to $53,900. Then got them to throw in 3M crystalline to close the deal. Felt like I got a decent deal.

Good deal being certified and only 3,000 miles! Congrats!
The following 2 users liked this post by BLexodus:
finny76 (08-23-17), Yes (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 07:47 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Congrats on the RC

If you got it as an "L certified" from a Lexus dealer, then you have UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY FOR 6 YEARS from the date of "put in service" OR TWO years from the date YOU BOUGHT IT whichever is latter. Mine had the pre 2016 "L Certified Warranty" which is limited 100K miles only.

I had 3M Crystalline all around including the windshield (lighter, I think it was 60%? Versus 40%, darker, for the sides and rear.). 3M Crystalline is RELATIVELY EXPENSIVE VS OTHERS. I paid $750 about a year and half ago in middle of nowhere in MS where the only 3M authorized dealer for almost 2 hours. Probably cheaper in SoCal, but I shipped my RCF from SoCal to MS before I had a chance to get the windows tinted.

Did you notice a slight purple tint to the glass when looking from outside of the car in direct sunlight in certain angles?

Thanks for the help. I just pulled the trigger on this. It's a Certified 2015 with 3,000 miles. Got them down to $53,900. Then got them to throw in 3M crystalline to close the deal. Felt like I got a decent deal.

Old 08-18-17, 08:19 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

GREAT DEAL BRO!!!!! and thats my fav color after the molten pearl. I feel like that color gets the most looks after orange obviously.
The following users liked this post:
finny76 (08-23-17)
Old 08-19-17, 11:43 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I didn't get the windshield tinted. It's illegal here – not that the cops would really notice. I went with 20% on the rest. That's the limit in New Mexico.

I haven't seen the car in person yet. I'm flying to Minnesota next Saturday and driving it back. Both the salesman and sales manager assured me there's not a mark on the car. We'll see.

The warranty is for unlimited miles through Feb. 2022. So roughly 4 1/2 years. They also included free scheduled maintenance at 10,000 and 20,000 miles. I'm not sure if that transfers to my local dealership.

Edit: I just spoke to the salesman and the maintenance does transfer.

I also forgot to mention it has the black interior. I wasn't a fan of the red interior. Really limited my search. Seems like 90% of the cars I saw had the red interior.

Last edited by Yes; 08-19-17 at 12:19 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 05:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

In the northern States it probably won't matter. But in SoCal and the southern States it get very bright and sunny plus if you are driving west in late afternoon, having 3M Crystalline tint on the windshield not only cuts the glare, but also blocks a majority of the heat generated so your car and AC does not need to work so hard. This reduces driver fatigue tremendously. At night too where it helps cut the glare from oncoming headlights.

3M Crystalline has a 80% tint for the windshieldwhich is almost clear but still get the job done with all the above properties. I went with a slightly darker 60% for the windshield and 40% (as I recall) for the sides and rear windows.

Also just ask your eye doctor or primary doctor to write on his/her official prescription or letterhead stating you need tinted windows for your vehicles. No need to mention why due to HIPAA regulations on the paperwork. Put a copy in all of your car's glovebox so that if someone else drives your vehicle and get stopped by a LEO, just show the paperwork which matches your name to on the car's registration.

Thanks guys. I didn't get the windshield tinted. It's illegal here – not that the cops would really notice. I went with 20% on the rest. That's the limit in New Mexico.

I haven't seen the car in person yet. I'm flying to Minnesota next Saturday and driving it back. Both the salesman and sales manager assured me there's not a mark on the car. We'll see.

The warranty is for unlimited miles through Feb. 2022. So roughly 4 1/2 years. They also included free scheduled maintenance at 10,000 and 20,000 miles. I'm not sure if that transfers to my local dealership.

I also forgot to mention it has the black interior. I wasn't a fan of the red interior. Really limited my search. Seems like 90% of the cars I saw had the red interior.
Old 08-21-17, 11:59 AM
Yes

I'll look into doing the windshield too. Turns out no one carries 20% crystalline in Minnesota. 40% is the darkest anyone has in stock. So we agreed they'd knock $500 off the price and I'd get it done here.
Old 08-21-17, 08:04 PM
2013gs350
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

That car Is at lexus of wayzata 5 miles from me i bought mine there
Old 08-21-17, 08:36 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by 2013gs350
That car Is at lexus of wayzata 5 miles from me i bought mine there
Yep. I'm flying in Saturday and driving it back.
Old 08-24-17, 09:19 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the NGP club!

I realize all of these colors look good even when I see just RC-350s around, but obviously I have a bias for NGP! Not as flashy up close imo but it's been a good combo of subtle yet standing out. The L certified should give you 4 oil changes for 2yrs/20k miles not just 10/20k. Please make sure you have the triple beam headlights! I can't tell from that pic, but 80% of the cars I've seen the past 5-6 months on cargurus/autotrader do not have them.

Old 08-28-17, 08:22 AM
Yes

I picked it up and drove it back this weekend. 1,300 miles in two days. Brutal trip, but it was worth it. There's not so much as a rock chip on the car.
Old 08-28-17, 09:31 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats! Saw your car in person when I had my car serviced last week.

I actually, like you, bought my car out of state and I did a 750 mile trip. Loved the trip. Anyways, enjoy the car!
Old 08-28-17, 09:54 AM
Yes

Thanks. I'm a little surprised it didn't sell locally. Or at least sooner. They had it for more than two months. But they had it listed at $57,900 initially. I ended up paying $53,400. They're the only Lexus dealership I talked to that was negotiable on the price.
Old 08-28-17, 04:41 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Im looking for tint right now as well and talked with a guy named Chris from Presto window tint out here in Orange County CA and he is a real expert in window film and sounds like he knows what hes talking about. He told me getting front window tint isn't really worth it and you should just go with windshield sun shade (mirror type) instead especially if you're not garaging the car. If anyone has any questions I would highly recommend giving him a call. Yelp link for his shop below

https://www.yelp.com/biz/presto-wind...ntington-beach
Old 08-28-17, 07:50 PM
Yes

Originally Posted by Kerune
Welcome to the NGP club!

I realize all of these colors look good even when I see just RC-350s around, but obviously I have a bias for NGP! Not as flashy up close imo but it's been a good combo of subtle yet standing out. The L certified should give you 4 oil changes for 2yrs/20k miles not just 10/20k. Please make sure you have the triple beam headlights! I can't tell from that pic, but 80% of the cars I've seen the past 5-6 months on cargurus/autotrader do not have them.

I had to double check, but it has them. I think that's one of the options included with the premium package.
Old 08-28-17, 08:05 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The issue is not really while the car is parked out in the open. Yes, the 3M Crystalline (especially for the front windshield) WILL cut down "heat" transmission TREMENDOUSLY BOTH while parked AND while it is in motion. Think about it.....the front windshield is the largest piece of glass opening for the car.

For me it is more important while the car is in motion while I'm in it. This is because it cuts the heat transmission TREMENDOUSLY and the engine/AC unit will not have to work as hard AND the whole car COOLS down very quickly even if I had parked outside in the hot sun in the DEEP SOUTH where my RCF is currently located. So, yes I know what I mean talking about from real live situations. Also while I'm driving it, the front windshield with 3M Crystalline cuts down the glare and fatigue tremendously BOTH DURING THE DAY AND NIGHT (from oncoming headlights at night).

So it is worth it to me. It might not worth it to someone else.

One more thing.....it is very time consuming to apply it to the windshield bc if not done properly, it will distort your vision outward. So not all shops want to do it due to liability since it is really illegal unless with a doctor's note.

Originally Posted by mjn88
Im looking for tint right now as well and talked with a guy named Chris from Presto window tint out here in Orange County CA and he is a real expert in window film and sounds like he knows what hes talking about. He told me getting front window tint isn't really worth it and you should just go with windshield sun shade (mirror type) instead especially if you're not garaging the car. If anyone has any questions I would highly recommend giving him a call. Yelp link for his shop below

https://www.yelp.com/biz/presto-wind...ntington-beach

Last edited by lexusrus; 08-28-17 at 08:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying a used RC F