RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Should I give up my 13 GS for a RCF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 07:11 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Get the rcf. A used 15 with low miles is a great deal. Have a winter awd thou. I bought an 04 4runner for a few grand so the rcf can hibernate here during winter in Ohio
Old 11-03-17, 12:37 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I ordered Michelin AS 3+ for both of my RCF and MB SLK55 AMG. I already had them put on the SLK55 AMG and it's all good. Didn't get a chance to put them on the RCF yet. But I'll have to do it soon as the temperature is dropping later on in the season where my RCF is located.

I had the previous generation of the Michelin AS Plus on my SLK55 AMG and they performed VERY WELL in WET weather, but NOT FREEZING. I didn't encounter any real "snow" either with them. My main objective is to have good traction in wet cold/dry cold weather, but not freezing or snow.

BTW, the OEM UHP SUMMER TIRES on the RCF will be DANGEROUS when ambient temperature drops below 40 even in DRY conditions. This is due to the rubber compounds turning rock hard and will literally crack. Don't risk it!!!
Thanks! yeah I wouldn't risk keeping summer tires on the vehicle if I decide to purchase the vehicle
Old 11-03-17, 12:39 PM
Twizgs
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
Get the rcf. A used 15 with low miles is a great deal. Have a winter awd thou. I bought an 04 4runner for a few grand so the rcf can hibernate here during winter in Ohio
I was just thinking that I used to have a Grand Cherokee I should have just kept it. But If I do get the RCF I will most likely get a 2nd vehicle to drive in the winter. It would be nice if I could keep my GS and then get the RCF lol!
Old 11-03-17, 05:10 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Not to thread jack but should I change my summer tires to winter tires for my upcoming trip. Planning to go to New york in late November. Would it be okay to drive in cold non snow weathers with michellin pilot sports? If not, what are some good winter tires or should I get all season tires.
Thanks
Old 11-03-17, 07:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

If the temperature drops below 40 degrees F, you maybe in trouble if you are rolling on SUMMER TIRES!!! You will be in CERTAIN grave danger if temperature drops to freezing below 32 degrees F!!

Please read the following article:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...king/index.htm

Excerpts from the above said the following:

"If you own a car with summer tires, refrain from using it at all in cold temperatures as the tires may crack. Leave it parked. Beyond cracking concerns, summer tires have diminished grip below 40º F on dry and wet roads and virtually little to no grip on snow and ice."

General Motors is advising ALL their Corvette and other high performance vehicle owners to NOT EVEN MOVE THEIR VEHICLES when the ambient temperature drops to below freezing due to "cracking" of the tires. The tires will literally crack if the vehicle is moved. GM also issued an advisory to auto transporters NOT TO MOVE THE VEHICLES IF THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE DROPS TO FREEZING.

I like the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. It's all season.

But if you are in heavy snow for weeks in the winter, then probably you should get dedicated SNOW TIRES. Many years ago when I had to travel routinely to way up northern CA mountains.....I had a set of Bridgestone's Blizzak SNOW TIRES which worked great. But as soon as temperature gets warm to like 60's degrees F, these snow tires will not do well because its compounds are way too pliable and you'll literally leave your tires on the pavement as you brake and speed up from a stand still. So I changed back to all season tires and carried tire chains when required by law on the mountain passes when there are SNOW accumulation.

Be safe.

Originally Posted by Spam89
Not to thread jack but should I change my summer tires to winter tires for my upcoming trip. Planning to go to New york in late November. Would it be okay to drive in cold non snow weathers with michellin pilot sports? If not, what are some good winter tires or should I get all season tires.
Thanks

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-03-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 12:37 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

The actual temperature for cracking is below 20F (-6C), although the new Michelin PS 4S might be a little higher. They are the glassiest tires I have driven on a street car in cold weather.

Truth be told, you're giving up very little with the Pilot A/S 3+ all season tires. They'll work in light snow, and won't give you the grief summer tires will below 40F (yes, they get really glassy below 40F (5C)) as I have already experienced with the cold snap (freeze warnings issued) we had in Atlanta last weekend. The A/S 3+ will work just fine in these conditions, and the only time I would be concerned about running these tires on an IS F, RC F, or GS F would be at a track event. They might chunk if the temperatures are high enough, but even then, if you are a reasonably skilled driver, you could have a fun track day with them.

The discussion about moving from a GS platform to the RC platform is important. The RC has nowhere near the same interior volume, so if you are confident that you'll almost never need back seats, the RC platform will be fine. If you regularly use back seats, four doors are a lot more convenient, and a real back seat a la GS is pretty helpful as is the full sized trunk on the GS. The one other thing - RC ergonomics are the tightest of the lot. If you are tallish (5' 10" or more) and the RC you want has a sunroof, you might feel cramped. I am 6' 2" with a 33-34" inseam. My head hits the liner on the sunroof model RCs. I have LOTS of head room in the GS F. Ultimately you have to be happy with what you buy, but be sure to consider all the important aspects of living with the car day to day if you're expecting this to be your daily.
Old 11-04-17, 01:08 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The discussion about moving from a GS platform to the RC platform is important. The RC has nowhere near the same interior volume, so if you are confident that you'll almost never need back seats, the RC platform will be fine. If you regularly use back seats, four doors are a lot more convenient, and a real back seat a la GS is pretty helpful as is the full sized trunk on the GS. The one other thing - RC ergonomics are the tightest of the lot. If you are tallish (5' 10" or more) and the RC you want has a sunroof, you might feel cramped. I am 6' 2" with a 33-34" inseam. My head hits the liner on the sunroof model RCs. I have LOTS of head room in the GS F. Ultimately you have to be happy with what you buy, but be sure to consider all the important aspects of living with the car day to day if you're expecting this to be your daily.
Though, no argument on convenience of GS having much larger volume with the 6 inch longer wheelbase, the back seats in RCF are deceptive for a rather compact sized coupe. It has enough room in the back seat for the average size people. Just this last weekend, my friend and his wife came over to check out my RCF. They insisted I take them for a little drive. So, I drove them around for a bit. I am 180 lbs and 5'10" with a 31 inch inseam, 31 inch waist and 47 inch chest (from bodybuilding) in the driver seat, my friend's wife is around 5'4" who sat in the passenger seat. My friend who is a 5'11" and around 168 - 170 lbs with about a 34 inch waist sat in the back seat behind my friend's wife. Our Graco baby seat was behind me. Everyone was comfortable in it through the whole drive. I also have sat in the back seat at the dealership during my research with my wife (5'7" and rather tall for a woman) sat in the front seat. I had enough leg room in the back.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-04-17 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-04-17, 01:59 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,962 Likes on 2,400 Posts

I've driven four adults in my Supra and no one complained. I didn't say impossible, it's just not in the same league as the IS or GS platforms for back seat accommodations.

I've also owned two door vehicles with larger back seats (Scion tC was the last) and shuffling in and out with only two doors gets really old really fast.
Old 11-05-17, 06:35 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 171 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Though, no argument on convenience of GS having much larger volume with the 6 inch longer wheelbase, the back seats in RCF are deceptive for a rather compact sized coupe. It has enough room in the back seat for the average size people. Just this last weekend, my friend and his wife came over to check out my RCF. They insisted I take them for a little drive. So, I drove them around for a bit. I am 180 lbs and 5'10" with a 31 inch inseam, 31 inch waist and 47 inch chest (from bodybuilding) in the driver seat, my friend's wife is around 5'4" who sat in the passenger seat. My friend who is a 5'11" and around 168 - 170 lbs with about a 34 inch waist sat in the back seat behind my friend's wife. Our Graco baby seat was behind me. Everyone was comfortable in it through the whole drive. I also have sat in the back seat at the dealership during my research with my wife (5'7" and rather tall for a woman) sat in the front seat. I had enough leg room in the back.
I'll second the back seat on the RCF. I'm 6'2" and am fine in my RCF, no sunroof. Have driven my wife and her sister on multiple long (350 miles each way) road trips., Both are around 5'8" and they fit fine with the front passenger seat moved forward a bit. The roof is a little tight back there, but liveable/ I've driven someone behind me a short distance, but wouldn't recommend. The biggest issue is getting in and out of the back seat, much easier in our 4 door.

If you're regularly driving 3-4 folks, or like putting things in the back often, get the 4 door, but if its just occasional use for 1 back set passenger, don't cross the RCF off the list.