here's from my manual...

The following users liked this post:
ct6978 (06-24-18)
Old 06-24-18 | 09:37 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
here's from my manual...
Check that out......, 2015 had 9.8Q, then they switched to 9.3Q for 2016 based on the online versions I checked, I never noticed that, had a 2015, but never changed the oil myself.

I'm guessing a mistake? Or did they change the engine, or just the recommended oil level? Big decrease in the RC350 too.

Certainly could account for some overfill, wonder if the dealers just default to the 2015 spec....I'll be bringing mine in for the 5K in a month or two, I'll ask them.

Nice catch!

Last edited by ct6978; 06-24-18 at 09:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bob67 (06-25-18)
Old 06-25-18 | 06:03 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

I drained 2 1/2 quarts of overfill from the GS F. There's no way you make that big a mistake by accident. Somebody just didn't follow the manual period. Here's what the factory says:
2015 RC F

2016-2019 RC F

2016 GS F
Old 06-25-18 | 06:14 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I drained 2 1/2 quarts of overfill from the GS F. There's no way you make that big a mistake by accident. Somebody just didn't follow the manual period. Here's what the factory says:
2015 RC F

2016-2019 RC F

2016 GS F
Thanks for this. Sounds like they revised the fill amount because doesn't make sense that without engine change that oil volume would. I have my service center put in 8 for me. Seems to work well. 2015 RC F
Old 06-26-18 | 11:26 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Next oil change, looks like I'm going to ask the Lexus service advisor how much oil they plan to put in my RCF. The 9.8 quarts that my manual states, or what may be a revised amount, like 9.3 quarts? Either way, does not account for them overfilling my car last time by almost 2 quarts! Also seems strange that the LC500, which has the same engine as the RCF, according to Lexus, uses a different amount of oil than the RCF or GSF.
Old 06-26-18 | 12:04 PM
JT2MA71

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Thanks for this. Sounds like they revised the fill amount because doesn't make sense that without engine change that oil volume would. I have my service center put in 8 for me. Seems to work well. 2015 RC F
8 is at least a quart too low, at least for my 2015. I put 9, then I even have to top it off after that.
Old 06-27-18 | 09:46 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

8 is at least a quart too low, at least for my 2015. I put 9, then I even have to top it off after that.
Thanks. But maybe I'm reading the dipstick wrong. In am without turning on engine. Its like quarter inch above second dot. I've tried the turn engine. Turn off wait a minute then check. And comes in about the two dots.

How do you check?

I've had them do 9 before and it's way over and I end up taking more than half a quart out.
Old 06-28-18 | 02:20 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Thanks. But maybe I'm reading the dipstick wrong. In am without turning on engine. Its like quarter inch above second dot. I've tried the turn engine. Turn off wait a minute then check. And comes in about the two dots.

How do you check?

I've had them do 9 before and it's way over and I end up taking more than half a quart out.
Maybe 8 quarts could be a much closer to the mark fill number instead of 9.3 quarts?
Assuming Lexus dealership filled my 2015 with 9.8 quarts as owners manual states, then almost immediately after, I had to take out 1.8 quarts to get to top fill mark, that indicates an 8 quart fill.
Old 06-28-18 | 04:50 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by bob67
Maybe 8 quarts could be a much closer to the mark fill number instead of 9.3 quarts?
Assuming Lexus dealership filled my 2015 with 9.8 quarts as owners manual states, then almost immediately after, I had to take out 1.8 quarts to get to top fill mark, that indicates an 8 quart fill.
I would stick with 8. Then top off as needed. Couldn't imagine that being too low for the engine given that I'm at a little over 2 dots with 8. I hear overfill is worse. Obviously, not low enough to trigger a light.
Old 06-28-18 | 05:39 PM
JT2MA71

How do you check?

Not sure if it’s just my OCD when draining, since I do my own oil changes, I let used oil drain until literally nothing is dripping out of the drain plug hole and the filter housing. Then I refill with 9 qts, start the engine and idle for maybe 5min. or so. Shut it off and check oil level after 10 minutes. Then I top off to the second dot. By then, I’d poured about 9.25qts into the crankcase. I check oil level often and it stays right on the second dot.
Old 06-28-18 | 11:21 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Not sure if it’s just my OCD when draining, since I do my own oil changes, I let used oil drain until literally nothing is dripping out of the drain plug hole and the filter housing. Then I refill with 9 qts, start the engine and idle for maybe 5min. or so. Shut it off and check oil level after 10 minutes. Then I top off to the second dot. By then, I’d poured about 9.25qts into the crankcase. I check oil level often and it stays right on the second dot.
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I give up something's when I don't do my own. Wife prefers me not to, so I take it to a shop I trust. They probably don't wait that long for it to drain.
Do you always check oil after it's warm and check it within minutes of turning off the engine?
Old 07-01-18 | 07:14 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

The factory service manual is pretty clear on how to check the oil level. Warm the oil to full operating temperature, shut the engine off, wait at least 5 minutes, then ensure the level is at or below the second dot and not below the first dot from the bottom.
Old 07-02-18 | 01:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I agree with you.

No matter how much oil the Lexus service tech put into the engine..........the instructions (and common sense) calls for recheck the oil level via the dip stick after at least a 5 minute wait!!! So EVIDENTLY NOBODY at some of these dealerships checked!!!!

It's like a transplant heart surgeon not making sure the newly transplanted heart is "beating" after the transplant!!! Or a severely anemic patient getting blood transfusion and not check where the level is afterwards to measure how much improvement or deterioration. OR a commercial jet liner getting refueled for a transpacific flight from LAX to HNL and NOBODY CHECKED HOW MUCH JET FUEL ARE IN THE TANKS AND NO IDEA IF THERE ARE ENOUGH TO MAKE IT TO THE DESTINATION!!! I know, it is not exactly the same caliber and severity.........but just saying.........

It's a bit more than 5 minutes to recheck the dip stick. With the hourly rate they charge, 5 minutes is the least they can do for us!!!!

2015 RC F

2016-2019 RC F

2016 GS F
Old 07-02-18 | 09:22 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

The factory service manual is pretty clear on how to check the oil level. Warm the oil to full operating temperature, shut the engine off, wait at least 5 minutes, then ensure the level is at or below the second dot and not below the first dot from the bottom.
Thank you.
Old 07-25-18 | 09:26 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

I think I figured out part of the issue. Took the car in for its 5K, handed them 9 quarts of oil for the change...watched them put in only 9 quarts.

When I checked the car at the dealership, it was full, or slightly over.....odd. Checked it at home, same thing. Should have been slightly low.

Just for the heck of it, and since I was curious, did another full change including filter. Made sure it was hot, waited until everything drained....then measured the drained oil, ~9.3 or 9.4Q. If the dealer is rushing the drain, and leaves 1/3 or more of quart in the car, then adds another 9.3, instant overfill.

Sequence in TIS is drain the sump first, then replace the plug...then drain the filter. I left the plug out and once I opened the filter cover, more oil came out of the drain plug. That might account for part of it too.

Oddly, I only added 9 quarts, intending to top off after driving, and its showing on the full dot after 10+ minutes at rest. I can't figure that one out, unless there was even more in the engine that I didn't drain, or my very minor floor slope (towards back of the car) affects it this much. For the drain, the car was on a lift, so pretty much horizontal.

Quick Reply: Too much oil after service check on my RCF