RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Is it BAD to start from cold (20's F) and then drive only 2 miles and shut off??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-17, 09:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts
Default Is it BAD to start from cold (20's F) and then drive only 2 miles and shut off??

Is it BAD to start from cold (20's F) and then drive only 2 miles and shut off??

Common sense tells me YES, it's bad and I should not do it.

So I warm it up for about ten minutes so at least the engine is at normal operating temperature and then drive the 2 miles or so and shut it off. But the transmission temperature had not "normalized" yet. Should I just drive it around for another ten minutes to "warm up" everything, including the transmission fluids BEFORE I shut it off?

Recently I'm traveling and the place I needed to go is only 2 miles from the hotel and vice versa.

Any advice? Thanks
Old 12-08-17, 11:29 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Most wear is gonna happen with operating at cold temp. So I wouldn't advise driving around the extra 10 mins just to warm up the car to shut it off. If engine isn't moving there's no friction or wear. Just my opinion.

Probably want to drive slowly. Like suggested in this video.
Old 12-09-17, 04:29 AM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL, you’re looking to turn a 2mile drive into a 30 minute ordeal! I’m sure the car will be just fine. Even the 10 minute warm up is total overkill. Just let the car warm until the idle normalizes and then drive it. Sad though that you only get to drive for a couple of minutes each day!
Old 12-09-17, 12:15 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I probably will just book another hotel about 12 miles away. Gives me more seat time!!!! 😁😁😁😀😀😀

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Most wear is gonna happen with operating at cold temp. So I wouldn't advise driving around the extra 10 mins just to warm up the car to shut it off. If engine isn't moving there's no friction or wear. Just my opinion.

Probably want to drive slowly. Like suggested in this video.
https://youtu.be/xKALgXDwou4
Old 12-09-17, 12:16 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Since I'm warming the car up for 10 minutes already..........
I probably will just book another hotel about 12 miles away. Gives me more seat time!!!! 😁😁😁😀😀😀

Originally Posted by Jz39
LOL, you’re looking to turn a 2mile drive into a 30 minute ordeal! I’m sure the car will be just fine. Even the 10 minute warm up is total overkill. Just let the car warm until the idle normalizes and then drive it. Sad though that you only get to drive for a couple of minutes each day!
Old 12-10-17, 07:32 AM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Short trips and idling are one of the worst things you can do to a car.

Short trips don't let the condensation in the oil burn off, the car runs in the warm up cycle all the time, condensation in the exhaust doesn't burn off and rots from the inside out. As well the starter getting used over and over again, the alternator not getting the ability to charge the battery back up....etc

Idling is bad because the oil pressure is very low on a warmed up engine, meaning the top end might not be getting all of the oil it should need as if you were driving it with a load on it.

Here's what I recommend:

1) Buy a battery charger and use it once a month to let the battery come back up to full charge
2) Change the oil more often. If you are very **** you could get an oil analysis done to see how much life your specific motor is giving to your oil.
3) When you start the car from being cold, drive it like a grandma until you are up to operating temp.
4) Try at least once a month to let the car warm up and take it somewhere else that you would not go during the week. When it reaches full oil operating temperature, ring the snot out of it.

My daily commute turned from 30 miles a day on 55mph+ roads to 10 miles a day on 35 mph roads.....

In the summer I just take my motorcycle :-D
Old 12-10-17, 08:34 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Much appreciated!! 😆😀👍👍👍

I will definitely change the oil more often.

Originally Posted by MisterSkiz
Short trips and idling are one of the worst things you can do to a car.

Short trips don't let the condensation in the oil burn off, the car runs in the warm up cycle all the time, condensation in the exhaust doesn't burn off and rots from the inside out. As well the starter getting used over and over again, the alternator not getting the ability to charge the battery back up....etc

Idling is bad because the oil pressure is very low on a warmed up engine, meaning the top end might not be getting all of the oil it should need as if you were driving it with a load on it.

Here's what I recommend:

1) Buy a battery charger and use it once a month to let the battery come back up to full charge
2) Change the oil more often. If you are very **** you could get an oil analysis done to see how much life your specific motor is giving to your oil.
3) When you start the car from being cold, drive it like a grandma until you are up to operating temp.
4) Try at least once a month to let the car warm up and take it somewhere else that you would not go during the week. When it reaches full oil operating temperature, ring the snot out of it.

My daily commute turned from 30 miles a day on 55mph+ roads to 10 miles a day on 35 mph roads.....

In the summer I just take my motorcycle :-D
Old 12-11-17, 12:53 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

If you were driving it like that every day, month after month, year after year, then I'm sure it would be an issue. If this is temporary and the car will be driven under more normal conditions and durations, I'd hardly worry about it.
Old 12-22-17, 01:42 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,198 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Doesn't matter. If you need to do it, you need to do it. Cars serve us, not the other way around.

It's not the most ideal situation if you're a wear-geek, but in all reality it's not going to do anything to your car. You might need to change your oil 500 miles sooner or change your battery a year sooner if you make a habit of it, in worst case scenarios.
Old 12-22-17, 01:49 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

remote start
Old 12-22-17, 03:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,042 Likes on 2,448 Posts

None of the suggestions relating to remote start and/or idling (worst thing you can do) will make your wear issues go away. Buy a block heater and warm the block before you drive so the OIL is up to temperature. Coolant temperature is no indication of the engine being warm.

At this time of year, it will take at least 30 minutes of driving to warm 10 quarts of oil. Heating the oil is what is important for minimizing wear. See post by MisterSkiz.
Old 12-22-17, 10:31 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Much appreciated your input.

​​​​​​I decided to book at a hotel some 12 miles out when I need to go to that location which is not every day 😁😁😁😀. Something like 4 times a month or so. Nicer hotel further away anyways. I get more seat time in the RCF too.

During cold starts, my new Borla just COMES TO LIVE!!! TOO BAD, I'll have to wait for the engine oil to warm up before I can drive it like I stole it when the crackles and pops 😀😀😀😁😁😁😃😃😃😄. One guy driving a suped up Charger (not Hellcat or Demon) ask me what my car is at a gas station. Since it is really middle of nowhere in northern MS, there aren't too many RCF's cruising around at all. Nor ANY LEXUS sounded like mine with the Borla!!!

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
None of the suggestions relating to remote start and/or idling (worst thing you can do) will make your wear issues go away. Buy a block heater and warm the block before you drive so the OIL is up to temperature. Coolant temperature is no indication of the engine being warm.

At this time of year, it will take at least 30 minutes of driving to warm 10 quarts of oil. Heating the oil is what is important for minimizing wear. See post by MisterSkiz.
Old 12-24-17, 04:59 PM
lexicon72
Intermediate

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

While running cold is not good for your car I general, IMHO it is no big deal.
I have driven a 10 minute 6 mile commute everyday in every type of weather in a Lexus for 15 years (12 years in my 1st gen IS300 and 3 years in my ISF). I have not had a single engine problem ever in either car and change the oil about every 5000 miles. And I sure don't baby the cars.

just enjoy the commute, however long or short!

Last edited by lexicon72; 12-24-17 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-25-17, 08:53 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Thanks for the encouragement.

I think the key is frequent change of motor oil and not to push the engine until things are warmed up to operating temperature.

Originally Posted by lexicon72
While running cold is not good for your car I general, IMHO it is no big deal.
I have driven a 10 minute 6 mile commute everyday in every type of weather in a Lexus for 15 years (12 years in my 1st gen IS300 and 3 years in my ISF). I have not had a single engine problem ever in either car and change the oil about every 5000 miles. And I sure don't baby the cars.

just enjoy the commute, however long or short!