RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

what happened to my engine air filter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-17, 06:51 PM
ToyotaJon
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what happened to my engine air filter?

Decided I'd be a mechanic this weekend and switched out my engine air filter. Dealership wanted $100 including labor so I figured I'd save myself a couple bucks.

My RCF is currently at 36k odo and the car hadn't had the engine air filter changed at 30k per service records. After removing I noticed that the original filter was all bent. I was looking through the Lexus service manual and the first engine air filter change is listed at 30k odo. I really doubt they install it like this at the factory..

Old 12-10-17, 07:42 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

It looks like it was inspected either by the original owner or the dealer, then poorly placed back. I nearly did the same thing since it is a little tight to get the filter back in and you risk forcing it and bending it.
The following users liked this post:
ToyotaJon (12-10-17)
Old 12-11-17, 04:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

After my very first service, the bottom clip was not secured on the black plastic box holding the air filter. So it was sucking non-filter air partially. I CAREFULLY removed the air filter out to inspect. It was all good. Then I carefully put all the clips back together. It's a very tight space.

Originally Posted by ToyotaJon
Decided I'd be a mechanic this weekend and switched out my engine air filter. Dealership wanted $100 including labor so I figured I'd save myself a couple bucks.

My RCF is currently at 36k odo and the car hadn't had the engine air filter changed at 30k per service records. After removing I noticed that the original filter was all bent. I was looking through the Lexus service manual and the first engine air filter change is listed at 30k odo. I really doubt they install it like this at the factory..

Old 12-11-17, 11:52 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased the air filter and replaced it myself. I decided to do it at 32K km. When I did the job I decided to remove the entire intake tube from air filter to intake manifold entry. I also had to disconnect the MAF or some other sensor harness and some intake tube hoses (don't recall exactly). I felt this gave me good access to the filter housing with the entire intake tube removed. If I had to do the job again it would probably take around 15-20 min taking my time.

I spoke to the techs at the dealership and they don't remove the intake tube. The "accordion section" allows them to pull the intake tube back far enough to be able to squeeze the air filter into place. It seems very tight and this is probably where one could damage the filter by accident.

When I did the job I wasn't sure whether the air filter was seated properly. It seemed like it probably was. However, the tech did tell me that in his experience if the filter is not seated properly, the top filter housing clamps will not close and fit properly.

Wolfman
Old 12-11-17, 02:53 PM
16GSF00336
Pole Position

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

True statement...Did mines at 10K w/Cabin Air Filter and Oil & Filter Change...

Overkill, but what the HELL...

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
I purchased the air filter and replaced it myself. I decided to do it at 32K km. When I did the job I decided to remove the entire intake tube from air filter to intake manifold entry. I also had to disconnect the MAF or some other sensor harness and some intake tube hoses (don't recall exactly). I felt this gave me good access to the filter housing with the entire intake tube removed. If I had to do the job again it would probably take around 15-20 min taking my time.

I spoke to the techs at the dealership and they don't remove the intake tube. The "accordion section" allows them to pull the intake tube back far enough to be able to squeeze the air filter into place. It seems very tight and this is probably where one could damage the filter by accident.

When I did the job I wasn't sure whether the air filter was seated properly. It seemed like it probably was. However, the tech did tell me that in his experience if the filter is not seated properly, the top filter housing clamps will not close and fit properly.

Wolfman
Old 12-11-17, 03:14 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,574 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by 16GSF00336
True statement...Did mines at 10K w/Cabin Air Filter and Oil & Filter Change...

Overkill, but what the HELL...
Did mine at 5K! I loosened one of the clamps on the throttle body so I could move the air box cover enough to have room and not mangle the new filter.

Last edited by JT2MA71; 12-11-17 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 09:59 AM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JT2MA71
Did mine at 5K! I loosened one of the clamps on the throttle body so I could move the air box cover enough to have room and not mangle the new filter.
Did you drop in an OEM or the K&N?