RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Can RR racing tune make RCF pop and crackle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 05:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
So wait, it sucked the cat all the way back up the exhaust path into the engine? I've heard of pre-cat destruction killing turbos since they are after that part but the cats on a 350 should be well downstream of the engine and only sending gases out. Please correct me if I'm missing something.
Who puts a cat in front of a turbo? That's stupid. If the first thing you do is remove heat from the exhaust (that's what your cat will do), then you instantly lose turbo efficiency.

There's plenty of opportunity in the exhaust for reversion that could put pieces of a cat upstream, especially if the cat is self destructing from raw fuel ingestion.
Old 05-23-19, 07:25 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Who puts a cat in front of a turbo? That's stupid. If the first thing you do is remove heat from the exhaust (that's what your cat will do), then you instantly lose turbo efficiency.

There's plenty of opportunity in the exhaust for reversion that could put pieces of a cat upstream, especially if the cat is self destructing from raw fuel ingestion.
Subaru - that's who. The OEM up pipe on 2002 and up turbo engines had one in front of the turbo. It was a common first mod to remove that because as people raised boost those would fail and take the turbo with it. I owned one.
Old 08-28-19, 02:43 PM
jstring
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this back from the dead...question, for someone that understands. I'm plain curious.

Scenario (and I have experienced this in a buddy's RCF w/ Borla and my own with American Racing Headers catback): Accelerate slowly up to ~4-5k, hang there for a second or two (usually from a light when homeboy in front of me is sending a text message at the wheel)..upshift, and voila--a gurgl-ey, crackl-ey kind of sound that isn't popcorn by any means buuut is similar, and sounds phenomenal. I'll occasionally get it in 2nd as well, and will also occasionally get a nice pop on down/up shifts, but they're rather random.

Can someone simply explain what this is? I will admit, I try to do it from time to time and feel stupid when it doesn't happen, so I'd love to understand.