RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Weight Reduction Ideas/Costs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 01:50 PM
inknart123
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RCF Weight Reduction Ideas/Costs

Wold love to see links/prices/lbs dropped for this car to help out performance...
Old 02-14-18, 02:23 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Just gut the entire interior down to the bare metal.
Old 02-14-18, 02:25 PM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take everything out of the trunk
Old 02-14-18, 02:31 PM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure of you have a aftermarket exhaust already but that's one way to cut down the weight a little the stock exhaust is heavy, I went with the Apexi exhaust and from what I read I think it'll shave off 23-25.lbs or so.
Old 02-14-18, 02:49 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Big ball it with the full Amuse Titanium exhaust. http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...-titan-cat-set

Last edited by Diesel350; 02-14-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 06:42 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

So...last time I weighed my car at the track on their corner scale, it was 3962 lbs.
With all the stuff I’ve swapped out, I thought it would be a more substantial difference....
Mine you this weight is with my trunk stuff gutted out plus no floor mats.

The parts which are lighter than oem:
advan GT rims
Girodisc 2 piece rotors
penske coilovers
ppe headers
ARH stainless mid pipe
Meisterschaft Ti axelback
Full Carbon hood
RR lithium battery
T demand front control arms
Figs rear upper & lower links
Blitz strut bar (instead of oem triangle one)

Stuff I added which gained weight:
Tom’s CF skirt kit
Tom’s rear diffuser (only slight heavier than oem)
CF mirror covers
3/4 xpel wrap
Tom’s chassis stiffening braces (all 3 sets)

I will say most of the mods were undetectable as far as performance goes (straight line acceleration) except for one, the rims. The car definitely feels faster with my Advans rims.
Rotational mass!!!
I thought the rotors would have given me the same kind of gain, but I never felt a huge difference via butt dyno. But with the rims, i definitely did.

With that said, i don’t think anything we do, less gutting the whole interior, is gonna reduce weight/increase acceleration by any substantial amount.
Just accept the F as is. Embrace it. I love mine. It never fails to make me feel special when I get behind the wheel!

Last edited by Mingofish; 02-14-18 at 06:47 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mingofish:
ISFPOWER (02-14-18), Lexura1414 (02-14-18), RCF93til (01-28-24)
Old 02-14-18, 06:58 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Mingofish
So...last time I weighed my car at the track on their corner scale, it was 3962 lbs.
With all the stuff I’ve swapped out, I thought it would be a more substantial difference....

advan GT rims
Girodisc 2 piece rotors
penske coilovers
ppe headers
ARH stainless mid pipe
Full Carbon hood
RR lithium battery

Tom’s CF skirt kit
CF mirror covers
3/4 xpel wrap

I will say most of the mods were undetectable as far as performance goes (straight line acceleration) except for one, the rims. The car definitely feels faster with my Advans rims.
Rotational mass!!!
I thought the rotors would have given me the same kind of gain, but I never felt a huge difference via butt dyno. But with the rims, i definitely did.

With that said, i don’t think anything we do, less gutting the whole interior, is gonna reduce weight/increase acceleration by any substantial amount.
Just accept the F as is. Embrace it. I love mine. It never fails to make me feel special when I get behind the wheel!
I heard the ppe headers are heavier. A lot more steel added.
The following users liked this post:
Mingofish (02-15-18)
Old 02-14-18, 09:08 PM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
That's $ 200 per lb. saved, yes?
Plus the install cost, of course.
Definitely get that.
Other possible: leave the spare home, put the $7,500 back in your pocket.
What spare?
Old 02-15-18, 08:06 PM
TrackLight
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I can dig it out I will PM you or post a build sheet I put together when I was looking at an RC-F. I did not have a breakdown of dollars spent per pound lost - once I tallied up the total cost I started looking into other cars that provided a lighter platform to start. Back to the RC-F though, I bucketed my weight reduction stages as follows.

Free reductions by removing parts and tools at the track have already been flogged to death so I won't go through the list but you can easily drop 25 - 40 lbs for $0.

Performance modifications that also reduce weight - 75 - 150 lbs for anywhere from $10K - $30K or more (full Novel System or custom IN625 headers, CCB's rotors, Penske coilovers, Volk wheels)
- Exhaust from the cat's back dropping ~ 25 lbs or more with a full titanium system
- Headers - I think Novels would be the lightest (friend in Japan was quoted 10 kgs/22 lbs but I don't recall if that was with or without cats)
- Coilovers - up to 20 lbs depending on the brand - RRRacing, Figs, Lou, Josh, or rmsimmonsj can chime in?
- Brakes - Figs or RRRacing two piece rotors, or, carbon ceramic (ZR1 rotors, RB calipers) from Racing Brake - 25.6 lbs for all iron, 54 lbs for carbon ceramic all around
- Wheels - the stock weeks are roughly 27.5 lbs (front) and 29.5 lbs (rear) so you could go with Volks, Advan's or another light 19 inch wheel, without going to wide, and could drop another 10-30 lbs of unsprung rotating weight.

Daily driver acceptable weight focused upgrades - to me these are upgrades where weight reduction is the primary benefit.
- I guess you could put wheels on this list but I looked at wheels as a performance upgrade that also reduced weight (the performance piece being the ability to run wider tires).
- Battery - range of options and weight reductions varies, but RRRacing had an awesome setup for the dollars spent to the pounds lost.
- Carbon fiber hood - again, weight reduction and cost vary quite a bit

Track car - beyond the above you can get into polycarbonate windows, carbon fiber parts that are not part of the performance package ($$), swapping the seats (something I was going to do in Japan with an IS-F but wouldn't do for a daily in the U.S.), and gutting the interior. I think Lexus dropped more than 700 lbs off of their RC-F GT Concept so it can be done.

If you haven't checked it already, take a look at this thread for the RC-F
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...reduction.html

And another for the IS-F (for some ideas, pros, cons, etc.)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...reduction.html

Last edited by TrackLight; 02-15-18 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Edited to add links to other relevant threads.
Old 02-16-18, 05:16 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Definitely get that.
There is no spare tire unless you did that aftermarket...just a pump w/ tire sealer foam from factory. Still heavy.

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Yeah, not a bad exhaust I will say that the full Titan header-back exhaust weighs less than one muffler...well, at least that is how it felt...didn't weigh the stock one but it is significant.

Originally Posted by Mingofish

advan GT rims
Girodisc 2 piece rotors
penske coilovers
ppe headers
ARH stainless mid pipe
Full Carbon hood
RR lithium battery

Tom’s CF skirt kit
CF mirror covers
3/4 xpel wrap

Rotational mass!!!

You should have gotten full Titan exhaust...even that midpipe makes a difference in weight. They do make Titan headers but they are silly expensive. The aero kit and PPF will definitely add weight. You should swap out your seats w/ CF/lighter ones. There is a huge noticeable difference between my stock 19s and my AVS 20 wheels...I agree with you there. Can't wait to get them back on as well

Originally Posted by TrackLight
... Lexus dropped more than 700 lbs off of their RC-F GT Concept so it can be done.
Yes, it will just cost you $$$$$ to do it...the RC F is a really fun money pit, though

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 02-16-18 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-20-18, 01:03 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Definitely get that.
We don't have spares.....