RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Back into a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 07:48 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Interesting how different people experience the same car differently, I drove the E90 M3 sedan 6MT a couple of times and absolutely LOVED it. Though, it felt fairly torqueless below 5000 rpm, it was incredible fun to rev it all out to 8300 rpm. I am a sucker for high-revving engines and love how you need to work them hard to get the maximum power and the high-strung sound that comes with it. In the end, I was contemplating between a 2013 E90 M3 sedan (4 doors was a plus) and an RCF (which I had never driven).

Once my ideal RCF combo came along and I drove it, I really loved it right off the bat. It had a better torque plateau across the rev range than the E90 M3 sedan and that additional 100 ft-lbs of torque was very apparent despite the additional weight. It did not rev as high as the E90 M3 sedan, but at high revs it sounds and responds just as dramatically while feeling quicker. Exterior looks, interior, technology, engine were enough to sway me in favor of the RCF and compromising on the 4 doors. By the end of my test drive, I had already committed to buying that RCF, which I have now.

Not sure where you are getting that from. RCF owners are very realistic of what we signed up for. We did not get the quickest car in its class. As a matter of fact, given the other cars are turbo'ed, the C63 or the M3/M4 are quicker in every way. I cannot speak for everyone, but I purchased the RCF because of the N/A free-revving V8, exterior, interior, technology, sound and how it drives. It feels special in spite of the fact that it is not as quick as an M4. To me, bragging rights carry no personal value.

i remember 5-6 years back when it was between the ISF and e92 m3. i was so disappointed with the torque and daily drive power feel of the e9x m3. it was the better looking car to me even though it was so plain inside. you're right, it loves to be revved but something about reviving out a bmw m3 at that, seem like too much broken parts and problems down the road..and by the down the road, i mean very quickly. i think every one loves how it sounds. it's the best sounding m3 IMO. I'm not a purist to M cars and if you did a blind fold test, e46 and the f8x sound like a 4 cylinder honda or corolla with an exhaust until wide open throttle and even at that ,it depends on what exhaust you have.

the sad part is, the new f80 m3 and f82 m4 are gorgeous cars inside and out. but the sound kills it. so basically , I've learned that the sound of the car is too important for me. but if you really sit back and look at the details of the RCF/GSF interiors, they look amazing . ill be doing a few GSF interior piece swaps on my RCF in my thread soon. I'm pretty happy with the RCF until the LC500 came out. that car is on a different level inside and out. I've done too much to trade.
Old 02-22-18, 08:53 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BrennanH

Im just calling it like I see it. Seems like a lot of people are disappointed that its not the track car that the m4, or c63 is, for that matter. I'm totally with you. Like most of us here I am sure, if I wanted to I would have bought those. I wanted something I didnt have to worry about (in comparison), was sporty, had a great engine and good feel, had a great interior, etc. I find it to be an exceptional GT car. I think if they marketed it as that rather than an M4 competitor, it wouldn't have performed so poorly in the reviews.
I have to agree with rolla. Most actual owners in these threads are well aware and don't care to compare the car's performance to an M4. You may see some people go into detailed comparisons, at some points where the discussion becomes purely about performance numbers then yes maybe we can be wishful for more but there's rarely a time where it's just about speed.

Same as others, the sound of the V8 along with exclusivity of these RCs in general makes up for a lot of things. The F seats and cluster alone make the interior work for me, then a CF roof and spoiler on top of that. Might just be some of us, but there's plenty of power that I don't care for more on the streets. If 2nd gear downshifts onto an on-ramp were any quicker I'm not sure I should even be doing it on public roads anymore. (you'd be speeding within how many seconds)

I think people just have to realize that we picked this car KNOWING we're not faster, but we're not stupid enough to buy the slower car for no good reason lol and we're well aware that the M cars also come with disappointments in ownership. There's lots of time where I'm behind other cars just going 20-30mph or stuck at stoplights, but damn it sounds accelerating at those moments regardless of how slow I can go.
Old 02-22-18, 12:26 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
I have to agree with rolla. Most actual owners in these threads are well aware and don't care to compare the car's performance to an M4. You may see some people go into detailed comparisons, at some points where the discussion becomes purely about performance numbers then yes maybe we can be wishful for more but there's rarely a time where it's just about speed.

Same as others, the sound of the V8 along with exclusivity of these RCs in general makes up for a lot of things. The F seats and cluster alone make the interior work for me, then a CF roof and spoiler on top of that. Might just be some of us, but there's plenty of power that I don't care for more on the streets. If 2nd gear downshifts onto an on-ramp were any quicker I'm not sure I should even be doing it on public roads anymore. (you'd be speeding within how many seconds)

I think people just have to realize that we picked this car KNOWING we're not faster, but we're not stupid enough to buy the slower car for no good reason lol and we're well aware that the M cars also come with disappointments in ownership. There's lots of time where I'm behind other cars just going 20-30mph or stuck at stoplights, but damn it sounds accelerating at those moments regardless of how slow I can go.
You keep saying "we" like I didn't just buy one, lol.

All you have to do is read the thread about reviews and comparisons to see what I mean. I didnt make this up, haha.

Regardless, I see no reason to drag down the OPs thread. I agreed with his assessment.
Old 02-22-18, 03:29 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

All you have to do is read the thread about reviews and comparisons to see what I mean. I didnt make this up, haha.

Regardless, I see no reason to drag down the OPs thread. I agreed with his assessment.
I was mostly just agreeing with you as you said you bought this car for the same reason as us. I've seen the reviews and comparisons, all I mean to say is that there are a lot of comments about this car that doesn't take into account other reasons for ownership.
Old 02-22-18, 09:15 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,775 Posts

It is not over "RCF is not as quick as the M4" or "wish RCF had been 400 lbs lighter", but more over stupid provocative comments like "RCF reminds me of how SC430 handled" (true story and anyone with remote common sense could see how it is supported by zero evidence) or "RCF feels sluggish" or bench racing stuff like "my ISF would decimate the RCF" ( had driven both RCF and '11 ISF extensively before I chose to spend the extra $16k cash on RCF) etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-22-18 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 09:54 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I recently traveled to a university town in northern MS/southern TN area and checked into a nice hotel and parked in front of the hotel.

When I came outside to go to dinner, I got a whole bunch (greater than 12 people standing around) of college age people checking out my RCF and asking me what it is and what year and etc. I thought something bad had happened, like someone hit my car or something.... I told everyone it's 2015 RCF with V8 from Lexus. AND it's a FULL F MODEL. NOT a single person knew what a FULL F model is. They are very surprised it's a V8! All they wanted to know if THIS IS THE CAR IN THE NEW MOVIE THE BLACK PANTHER!!!

I've never had so many people gathered around any of my cars like that before. Well, I guess all of my cars so far are all boring, EXCEPT for the RCF!!!

It was EPIC with the BORLA EXHAUST SYSTEM on cold start!!! It was indeed a Lexus none of them had seen NOR heard before!!!

LOL

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is not over "RCF is not as quick as the M4" or "wish RCF had been 400 lbs lighter", but more over stupid provocative comments like "RCF reminds me of how SC430 handled" (true story and anyone with remote common sense could see how it is supported by zero evidence) or "RCF feels sluggish" or bench racing stuff like "my ISF would do this or that to RCF" ( had driven both RCF and '11 ISF extensively before I chose to spend the extra $16k cash on RCF) etc.

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-22-18 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-22-18, 10:19 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I recently traveled to a university town in northern MS/southern TN area and checked into a nice hotel and parked in front of the hotel.

When I came outside to go to dinner, I got a whole bunch (greater than 12 people standing around) of college age people checking out my RCF and asking me what it is and what year and etc. I thought something bad had happened, like someone hit my car or something.... I told everyone it's 2015 RCF with V8 from Lexus. AND it's a FULL F MODEL. NOT a single person knew what a FULL F model is. They are very surprised it's a V8! All they wanted to know if THIS IS THE CAR IN THE NEW MOVIE THE BLACK PANTHER!!!

I've never had so many people gathered around any of my cars like that before. Well, I guess all of my cars so far are all boring, EXCEPT for the RCF!!!

It was EPIC with the BORLA EXHAUST SYSTEM on cold start!!! It was indeed a Lexus none of them had seen NOR heard before!!!

LOL
Yeah, same here. My Molten Pearl with carbon package attracts quite a lot of unwanted attention where people pop out of nowhere to ask me about my car. Most recently, a BMW F82 328i owner in my parking garage heard my cold start echoed loudly in the underground parking garage as I was pulling out to wash my car. He followed and came up to me and started asking me all kinds of questions like what engine? what car? how quick? etc. His jaw dropped when he asked me about power and I said "close to 470 HP" and he goes "my BMW only makes 240 HP". I took this picture during that wash

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-22-18 at 10:28 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 06:59 AM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
I was mostly just agreeing with you as you said you bought this car for the same reason as us. I've seen the reviews and comparisons, all I mean to say is that there are a lot of comments about this car that doesn't take into account other reasons for ownership.
Haha, oh ok. My apologies for taking you out of context!