Back into a Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 08:36 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Back into a Lexus

Hello ClubLexus,
I've been away for quite some time. Originally joined when I had purchased an DSM IS250, and left when the car was giving me one too many headaches.
The next car I purchased after the IS250 was a 2012 C63, which I had owned for nearly three years before someone crashed into me and the car was written as a total loss.
After two months of searching, I purchased a 2015 RCF with 26k miles.

Initial impression between the two cars:
The C63 was much more fun to drive. Of course, it had the traditional hydraulic steering so the connection to the car was on a whole different level. The amount of torque on that car from factory was amazing, and the sound that car made... was music to my ears. The M156 platform had so much potential even from a simple tune, they were netting around 50whp. However, of course the car wasn't perfect. The Harmon Kardon audio system was utter crap and the ride quality was super stiff even on stock suspension. The fuel economy, of course, was pretty bad as I was getting about 15mpg (20% highway/80% traffic + local). The transmission wasn't quick and very rough, but I loved how hard it blips whenever you down shift.

The RCF is definitely unique. I find the steering not as connected as the C63, but isn't numb like the Audi RS/S models. The interior is a big step up from the W204 and I'd dare say the W205 platforms as well. The Mark Levinson sound system is on point with every frequency I'd like to hear so a huge plus there. The ride quality is definitely more comfortable compared to the W204 C63. The fuel economy is on the plus side as I am averaging 18 mpg with the same type and amount of driving as the C63. The transmission isn't the quickest out there but it is quite nice. However, I do notice the delay between shifting through gear 1 and 2, and a slight hesitation on gear 2. I did read about the TSB that supposedly fixes the hesitation on the gear 2 and am looking forward to getting that done. The Nav screen coating is scratched slightly so will get that replaced under the other TSB I found.

I have removed the resonator and secondary cats on the RCF and it now sounds proper.
Only question I have is regarding the downshifts on the car. Is there anything that can be done to make the car blip the throttle/downshift more aggressively?
Thanks in advance and below are some pictures!

Back into a Lexus-0x3sesc.jpg

Attachment 490631

Back into a Lexus-q4psduu.jpg

Back into a Lexus-apy7a0x.jpg
The following users liked this post:
BrennanH (02-21-18)
Old 02-14-18, 08:46 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, you bought the OC Autohaus one. At ~$48K, without Performance Package, I was wondering how much interest and whether it would sell. Did you get them to lower the price?

Also, welcome! Glad to see another NGP, and of course, glad you stuck with another V8. The only way to get the transmission to shift more aggressively is to have a custom tune installed - you could potentially even allow for some fuel overrun for more pops & crackles (if that's your thing).
Old 02-14-18, 08:55 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Uda880
Ah, you bought the OC Autohaus one. At ~$48K, without Performance Package, I was wondering how much interest and whether it would sell. Did you get them to lower the price?

Also, welcome! Glad to see another NGP, and of course, glad you stuck with another V8. The only way to get the transmission to shift more aggressively is to have a custom tune installed - you could potentially even allow for some fuel overrun for more pops & crackles (if that's your thing).
Yeah I purchased the car from them. I had talked them down to about 46k. I did see your car posted for sale on both CL's but I had opted out of the performance package for a few reasons.
There is no replacement for displacement! Is the color code 1H9 NGP or Mercury Grey Metallic? I am quite confused haha
Old 02-14-18, 09:18 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,775 Posts

Congrats and welcome. I also just got a 8000 miles used 3 months ago and love everything about it.

The downshifts are super aggressive if you put it in sport+ and are in high revs. I am the old school type who has done heel-toe downshifts and rev matching driving manual transmission since I started driving 15 years ago, but the throttle blips at high revs on RCF are seriously good and sound amazing that I don't wish it had been a manual.

That leaves the question at low revs (below 4000 rpm) where even in manual transmission, it will not rev match because the ratio gap is not as big at low rpms so the engine braking is barely felt (which is probably why they chose not to give it rev matching at low rpms).

Interesting comparison of RCF and C63. Power wise, C63 and RCF have similar power and similar weight, but while the RCF needs to be revved higher like crazy to get the best, the massive torque on the C63 gives it an edge in a straight line. Around a race track, it seems RCF posted better lap times.

You can see in this POV video how the rev-matches progressively get more aggressive as he downshifts in higher rpm band (check 1:02)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-14-18 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 12:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Downshifts with Borla exhaust system sounds even better!!!

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Congrats and welcome. I also just got a 8000 miles used 3 months ago and love everything about it.

The downshifts are super aggressive if you put it in sport+ and are in high revs. I am the old school type who has done heel-toe downshifts and rev matching driving manual transmission since I started driving 15 years ago, but the throttle blips at high revs on RCF are seriously good and sound amazing that I don't wish it had been a manual.

That leaves the question at low revs (below 4000 rpm) where even in manual transmission, it will not rev match because the ratio gap is not as big at low rpms so the engine braking is barely felt (which is probably why they chose not to give it rev matching at low rpms).

Interesting comparison of RCF and C63. Power wise, C63 and RCF have similar power and similar weight, but while the RCF needs to be revved higher like crazy to get the best, the massive torque on the C63 gives it an edge in a straight line. Around a race track, it seems RCF posted better lap times.

You can see in this POV video how the rev-matches progressively get more aggressive as he downshifts in higher rpm band (check 1:02)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIkojaoFKPM&t=43s
Old 02-15-18, 04:26 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome back to Lexus!

Yes you will enjoy the car significantly more with at least a Borla exhaust. Curious as you came from a white car as well.

How do you feel about switching into the Nebula Gray? It's taken me a while to appreciate it more than white (I have lots of regrets with previous white cars) but I do think this car would've went well with Ultra White or USB.
Old 02-15-18, 07:14 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIkojaoFKPM&t=43s
The C63 definitely felt way more alive and did not feel like it was lacking in power or torque. It was an amazing car to drive as a daily in my opinion and was contemplating on getting another one but decided to venture into another N/A V8 platform. I, for one, never cared about how fast a car laps the track or if it's faster than A or B. As long as the car is fun as hell to drive, you have my attention!

Originally Posted by Kerune
Welcome back to Lexus!

Yes you will enjoy the car significantly more with at least a Borla exhaust. Curious as you came from a white car as well.

How do you feel about switching into the Nebula Gray? It's taken me a while to appreciate it more than white (I have lots of regrets with previous white cars) but I do think this car would've went well with Ultra White or USB.
Thank you!
The only colors I would never own are black and silver. That being said, I definitely love white cars because of how great they look in the two tone color scheme everyone seems to go with when modifying their cars with lip kits/CF parts/etc. However, I really liked the Nebula Gray when I saw it on the ISF a few years ago. If you were to give me an option between a White RCF and Nebula Grey RCF with same options/condition/price, I would definitely choose the White any day. However, during my search for a RCF, all the white/red color combo RCF's were in rough shape ( I am extremely picky ). This RCF that I purchased literally only had 1 hairline scratch in the interior and the seat was in 10/10 condition. The exterior had a few imperfections but I drive the car daily, so interior being perfect was what I was after. On a side note, the Grey is growing on me the more I look at it!
Old 02-15-18, 08:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Downshifts with Borla exhaust system sounds even better!!!
I am sure it does. I will eventually get an exhaust on it. Just a matter of time.
Old 02-16-18, 08:46 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Welcome back . Those C63 AMG are beasts . i prefer the sedan . the coupe in first gen gen years remind me of a mini accord coupe. no rear fender flares and weak smooth lines . my friends sister had one , dyno the same day with me at 378whp. i was at 365whp with my ISF at the time with just an exhaust but we never got run them. it sounds great though and was strong and torquey . i drove the sedan. She has a full wide body kit and the car looks how it should of came from factory..

how would you compare transmissions? the transmission in the c63 was slow compared to the ISF and the RCF shifts faster than ISF at WOT. also that delay in the 1-2 shift straight line is because of the torque converter still being there in sport mode . for a smoother shift. turns of off 2nd to 8th. if you get a big hesitation while turning in 1-2 shift, fuel pump tsb. it fixed my issue but sheme will say otherwise. i would advise you to read up on how to get to get the dealer to do that TSB because unless they can replicate it when they test drive it, they won't do it.
Old 02-18-18, 12:12 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Smile

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Welcome back . Those C63 AMG are beasts . i prefer the sedan . the coupe in first gen gen years remind me of a mini accord coupe. no rear fender flares and weak smooth lines . my friends sister had one , dyno the same day with me at 378whp. i was at 365whp with my ISF at the time with just an exhaust but we never got run them. it sounds great though and was strong and torquey . i drove the sedan. She has a full wide body kit and the car looks how it should of came from factory..

how would you compare transmissions? the transmission in the c63 was slow compared to the ISF and the RCF shifts faster than ISF at WOT. also that delay in the 1-2 shift straight line is because of the torque converter still being there in sport mode . for a smoother shift. turns of off 2nd to 8th. if you get a big hesitation while turning in 1-2 shift, fuel pump tsb. it fixed my issue but sheme will say otherwise. i would advise you to read up on how to get to get the dealer to do that TSB because unless they can replicate it when they test drive it, they won't do it.
The MCT transmission in the W204 C63's were definitely the weakest point of the car. The shifts were quite slow, but the downshifts were amazing. It was a very jerky but tough transmission that can definitely take a beating. The RCF direct shift is very smooth and more direct, but I wouldn't call it fast at all compared to DSG/VF/DCT etc. Again, very different cars and no complaints here! I can definitely feel the weight but not sure why people complain about it. They should know what they're getting into when buying a much more luxury sports car that'll last you a life time!
Old 02-21-18, 08:34 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice post OP. I have almost bought a C63 two times, lol. They are great cars and extremely fun on the street. I couldnt have worded it better. The M156 was a beast and the chassis is under rated. The fact they under-rubbered the vehicle only makes it that much more fun. IMO it was a MUCH better car for the road than a E90/92, a car which I did not enjoy at all, although I have plenty of seat time in one. We must really think alike, as I also agree about the RCF's steering. The w204 is certainly better, and I'd

I thought about a c63 this time around, but I recently bought a RCF (same exact options and color as yours) for the precise reason that it isn't a c63 or an m3. (I've owned M3's and BMWs in general ever since I could drive... still have a Z3 in fact).

We must really think alike, as I also agree about the RCF's steering. The w204 is certainly better, and I'd probably give an F80 the edge, but the RCF certainly isnt as vague as an RS5 and the RCF certainly went where I pointed it with precision, and has fairly decent feedback, just not like a Porsche or anything with a hydraulic rack. The transmission is pretty damn good for a slushbox, and a huge step up from the w204 as well.

TBH after joining this board I am surprised and sort of perplexed at the animosity shown towards reviews, pundits, board members, et al who think the RCF isn't superior to those cars... because TBH its not (I am referring to the w205 c63 and the F80 m3). But the car is its own thing, and I think its a great road car, a GT if you will, especially for the money.

Last edited by BrennanH; 02-21-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 09:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrennanH
Nice post OP. I have almost bought a C63 two times, lol. They are great cars and extremely fun on the street. I couldnt have worded it better. The M156 was a beast and the chassis is under rated. The fact they under-rubbered the vehicle only makes it that much more fun. IMO it was a MUCH better car for the road than a E90/92, a car which I did not enjoy at all, although I have plenty of seat time in one.
Interesting how different people experience the same car differently, I drove the E90 M3 sedan 6MT a couple of times and absolutely LOVED it. Though, it felt fairly torqueless below 5000 rpm, it was incredible fun to rev it all out to 8300 rpm. I am a sucker for high-revving engines and love how you need to work them hard to get the maximum power and the high-strung sound that comes with it. In the end, I was contemplating between a 2013 E90 M3 sedan (4 doors was a plus) and an RCF (which I had never driven).

Once my ideal RCF combo came along and I drove it, I really loved it right off the bat. It had a better torque plateau across the rev range than the E90 M3 sedan and that additional 100 ft-lbs of torque was very apparent despite the additional weight. It did not rev as high as the E90 M3 sedan, but at high revs it sounds and responds just as dramatically while feeling quicker. Exterior looks, interior, technology, engine were enough to sway me in favor of the RCF and compromising on the 4 doors. By the end of my test drive, I had already committed to buying that RCF, which I have now.

TBH after joining this board I am surprised and sort of perplexed at the animosity shown towards reviews, pundits, board members, et al who think the RCF isn't superior to those cars... because TBH its not (I am referring to the w205 c63 and the F80 m3). But the car is its own thing, and I think its a great road car, a GT if you will, especially for the money.
Not sure where you are getting that from. RCF owners are very realistic of what we signed up for. We did not get the quickest car in its class. As a matter of fact, given the other cars are turbo'ed, the C63 or the M3/M4 are quicker in every way. I cannot speak for everyone, but I purchased the RCF because of the N/A free-revving V8, exterior, interior, technology, sound and how it drives. It feels special in spite of the fact that it is not as quick as an M4. To me, bragging rights carry no personal value.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-21-18 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 09:50 PM
BrennanH
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting how different people experience the same car differently, I drove the E90 M3 sedan 6MT a couple of times and absolutely LOVED it. Though, it felt fairly torqueless below 5000 rpm, it was incredible fun to rev it all out to 8300 rpm. I am a sucker for high-revving engines and love how you need to work them hard to get the maximum power and the high-strung sound. In the end, I was contemplating between a 2013 E90 M3 sedan (4 doors was a plus) and an RCF (which I had never driven).

Once my ideal RCF combo came along and I drove it, I really loved it right off the bat. It had a better torque plateau across the rev range than the E90 M3 sedan and that additional 100 ft-lbs of torque was very apparent despite the additional weight. It did not rev as high as the E90 M3 sedan, but at high revs it sounds and responds just as dramatically while feeling quicker. Exterior looks, interior, technology, engine were enough to sway me By the end of my test drive, I already committed to buying the RCF, which I have now.
Having owned an e46 m3 for a while and had some seat time in a GT3, I do know and appreciate a high revving engine. Believe it or not, if I didnt buy the RCF I would have ended up in a GT350. But, the e92 is the worst M3 ever, IMO (as you said, we all have different experiences). You really felt the weight, the car *had* to be in the right gear to be enjoyable at all, the interior was pretty crappy (and not even for the price, I think the interior in a e90 330i is meh) and the seats sucked. I just could not convince myself to like that car. That being said, I sorta like the comparison, haha. I can buy into the idea that the RCF is like a MUCH better E92. The additional torque, the interior, the seats, the looks, the Lexus quality and reliability... its a much better package than an e92.

Not sure where you are getting that from. RCF owners are very realistic of what we signed up for. We did not get the quickest car in its class. As a matter of fact, given the other cars are turbo'ed, the C63 or the M3/M4 are quicker in every way. I cannot speak for everyone, but I purchased the RCF because of the N/A free-revving V8, exterior, interior, technology, sound and how it drives. I could not care less about bragging rights of having the quickest car in the class.
Im just calling it like I see it. Seems like a lot of people are disappointed that its not the track car that the m4, or c63 is, for that matter. I'm totally with you. Like most of us here I am sure, if I wanted to I would have bought those. I wanted something I didnt have to worry about (in comparison), was sporty, had a great engine and good feel, had a great interior, etc. I find it to be an exceptional GT car. I think if they marketed it as that rather than an M4 competitor, it wouldn't have performed so poorly in the reviews.
Old 02-21-18, 10:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrennanH
Having owned an e46 m3 for a while and had some seat time in a GT3, I do know and appreciate a high revving engine. Believe it or not, if I didnt buy the RCF I would have ended up in a GT350. But, the e92 is the worst M3 ever, IMO (as you said, we all have different experiences). You really felt the weight, the car *had* to be in the right gear to be enjoyable at all, the interior was pretty crappy (and not even for the price, I think the interior in a e90 330i is meh) and the seats sucked. I just could not convince myself to like that car. That being said, I sorta like the comparison, haha. I can buy into the idea that the RCF is like a MUCH better E92. The additional torque, the interior, the seats, the looks, the Lexus quality and reliability... its a much better package than an e92.
I agree on the interior and the torque-less aspect where you had to be in the right gear to get decent acceleration out of it. The interior is garbage on the E90/E92 M3 and the technology was outdated. It felt too dated in 2015, but I was so smitten with that engine that I was willing to ignore that. Regarding being in the right gear, yes it was quite torqueless below 5000 rpm, but I am big heel-toe downshift and rev-match guy so I loved blipping the throttle and getting it into the right gear then going for it. But, yeah once I drove the RCF, it was game over for the E90/E92 M3. Though, it did not have the 8300 rpm redline I was yearning for, but it had so much more in other areas. The cockpit like interior, quality, fit, finish and exterior styling were leagues better than the E90 M3. Then while driving it, at high revs the RCF felt just as dramatic and responded to inputs just as well.

Im just calling it like I see it. Seems like a lot of people are disappointed that its not the track car that the m4, or c63 is, for that matter. I'm totally with you. Like most of us here I am sure, if I wanted to I would have bought those. I wanted something I didnt have to worry about (in comparison), was sporty, had a great engine and good feel, had a great interior, etc. I find it to be an exceptional GT car. I think if they marketed it as that rather than an M4 competitor, it wouldn't have performed so poorly in the reviews.
It handles way above my average capabilities and skills as I cannot even go past 8/10ths of its limits so it is a non-factor for me. With TVD in track mode, during my test drive, I turned as hard and tight as I could through long sweeping turns, added throttle while pointing noise inwards kept rotating the rear of the car until gently the rear started sliding out. I could not get the car to understeer to my driving limits unless I lifted off the throttle and the hard engine braking loaded the front tires.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-22-18 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-21-18, 10:44 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

For one, I never cared about bragging rights, and when I say bragging rights, I mean those kids that talk about their cars lapping the ring at X:XX time etc etc. Sure, the car is fast, but it is only as fast as the capable driver. I just need a car that puts a dam smile on my fast from the moment I turn on the car, and the moment when I arrive at the said destination. I have personally driven a lot of cars, including those mentioned above. The E46 M3 was an extremely well balanced car and loved it, but the E90's were just not my thing. To be fair, I drove that car for a few days after owning my C63 and definitely wasn't as fun around the city. The high revving engine needed to be around 4k rpm before any smiles will be on my face, and by that time, I would look like a douche bag driving around town haha.
I bought the car for myself, not to compare to other cars. Each and every car has its pros and cons, but I choose the RCF this time around because I wanted something more relaxing to drive, and fun when need be. The interior is definitely better than the W205 C63/F80 and if I could add one thing to the car, it would be an extra 60-80 torque

Quick Reply: Back into a Lexus