RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Springs vs coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-18, 12:39 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Springs vs coilovers?

So I already have swift springs waiting to get installed. A good friend of mine who knows his **** told me I'm making a mistake and should do coilovers. Told me springs will damage /blow struts. My previous car (Altima coupe) , I had springs and blew a strut. Friend told me if I want the cheap route to keep springs but get struts that are dampened for that spring rate... any insight? Looking for someone to educate me on this subject.
Old 02-23-18, 01:07 PM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Old 02-23-18, 02:12 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Correct unless you put higher spring rates than stock springs (the shocks don't have to work as hard). Shock valving needs to be matched properly to the shock compression/rebound (spring rates) of the spring. Mismatch results in premature failure of the shocks.

A member on this board blew his front two shocks in his RCF after he had installed RSR super downs. Those springs have much softer spring rates than stock so the shocks have to work extra hard to control the movement of the springs. It results in shocks giving out earlier.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 02-23-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 04:08 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

To my knowledge, this is all moot though if we're talking about '17+ RC-F's due to the AVS.
I've heard some cars switched springs, but I haven't heard/seen anyone with full coilover change or even air yet.
On that last part I may be wrong since it's been a minute since I checked.
Old 02-23-18, 06:07 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by MisterEun
To my knowledge, this is all moot though if we're talking about '17+ RC-F's due to the AVS.
I've heard some cars switched springs, but I haven't heard/seen anyone with full coilover change or even air yet.
On that last part I may be wrong since it's been a minute since I checked.
I own a 2015
Old 02-24-18, 07:56 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Correct unless you put higher spring rates than stock springs (the shocks don't have to work as hard). Shock valving needs to be matched properly to the shock compression/rebound (spring rates) of the spring. Mismatch results in premature failure of the shocks.

A member on this board blew his front two shocks in his RCF after he had installed RSR super downs. Those springs have much softer spring rates than stock so the shocks have to work extra hard to control the movement of the springs. It results in shocks giving out earlier.
SO aftermarket shocks are recommended? Does bilstein make any?
Old 02-24-18, 09:47 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
SO aftermarket shocks are recommended? Does bilstein make any?
Yes, aftermarket shocks would be better if you want to go with lowering springs. Check with these guys as it looks like these work with RCF (as they are for ISF)

http://performance.importrp.com/i-21...gaAneEEALw_wcB
Old 02-24-18, 10:10 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yes, aftermarket shocks would be better if you want to go with lowering springs. Check with these guys as it looks like these work with RCF (as they are for ISF)

http://performance.importrp.com/i-21...gaAneEEALw_wcB
I'm regretting buying the springs. Should have saved up for coilovers, but I don't wanna spend any serious $$$ until car is paid off. Figured springs were cheap solution for now, too late to return them so just trying to make it work.

Swift Springs are designed to work with OEM or Aftermarket Shocks

"Every Swift Spring is prototyped on OEM vehicles to ensure the highest level of performance. By working around the OEM dampers, it ensure that every spring will work for a daily driver or a weekend track driver."

This was posted on swifts website .. reading this leads me to think stock shocks would be fine? I know a few members had issues with the rsr springs. Havnt heard issued with swift though unless anyone can chime in?
Old 02-24-18, 10:19 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
I'm regretting buying the springs. Should have saved up for coilovers, but I don't wanna spend any serious $$$ until car is paid off. Figured springs were cheap solution for now, too late to return them so just trying to make it work.Swift Springs are designed to work with OEM or Aftermarket Shocks

"Every Swift Spring is prototyped on OEM vehicles to ensure the highest level of performance. By working around the OEM dampers, it ensure that every spring will work for a daily driver or a weekend track driver."

This was posted on swifts website .. reading this leads me to think stock shocks would be fine? I know a few members had issues with the rsr springs. Havnt heard issued with swift though unless anyone can chime in?
You can try doing it and see how it goes. If the shocks leak oil then you can swap them at that time with Bilsteins. Swift are definitely better than RSR super downs (in my opinion, which are garbage) in terms of spring rates and match the stock shock/struts better. Not sure if the ride will be bouncy or not . You will have to get an alignment to try and restore the camber/castor/toe as it changes when the car is lowered 1 inch or more.