RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Considering an RC F

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 10:45 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Considering an RC F

Late 40s, no kids at home, have a company truck, wife has an SUV. My 370Z is paid off and I'm looking for the next thing. I really like the looks and performance of the Z, but there are several things I'm kinda over. The interior looks decent, but isn't the greatest. Fit and finish is there, but things are still noisy just casual driving. The seats are less than great. The road noise is terrible and the ride comfort is pretty lacking. Suspension is great for the back roads and the car handles wonderful in that aspect. I added better sway bars, camber arms, coilovers, dropped it an inch, wider wheel\tires, high flow cats, Borla exhaust, long tube intakes and had the engine tuned with Ecutek. I've probably caused some of my own problem, by modding for performance, I lost the little comfort it had. My wife HATES it. Never really has liked it. She thinks its hard to get in and out of, loud and jerky. So, we pretty much take hers whenever we go anywhere together.

So, I started looking for sporty coupe options that are more on the luxury end. I am looking at Q60 Red Sport, RC 350 F Sport and RC F. Unfortunately, nothing close by to test drive. I've pretty much ruled out the RC 350 F sport. I think the drop in performance from the Z would be missed. But I would still like to test one before dropping it. I like the Q60 and the Red Sport has the power, but if the 7 speed tranny is the same as the one in the Z, I think I would be disappointed. Looking at spending 45-50k, this has left me mostly looking at the RC-F now that used prices are in that range.

My concerns are the comfort of it. Obviously the RC F has the power, but how is it on the comfort side. How are the seats? How is getting in and out? Does the suspension adjust when the driving mode is changed? If not, how is the suspension in regard to sporty vs comfort? How is the exhaust noise in cabin? Any drone? How is the transmission when driving sporty? The automatic in the Z wants to get to 7th gear ASAP. It will go to 7th gear doing 40mph. If you want to use the revs, you have to keep it in manual mode. How is the road noise?

I will be buying used. Anything specific to this model to look for? I'm not in a hurry, just started looking into options a week or 2 ago and could always just keep the Z, add Recaro seats, put in some sound deadening.... but I have a feeling I'm ready to move on to the next thing.

My current car.

Old 03-28-18, 10:57 AM
Boosted2JZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Q60S Red Sport and RC350 are hard to compare to the RCF. Pretty much different classes of cars.

My experiance is from a 2015 RCF so take that into consideration.
I have driven the 370Z, owned 2 G37's (one S and one IPL both 6 speed) and a bunch of other higher end performance vehicles through the years. That being said, I would not go back to any of them after the RCF.
Its a great blend of performance, comfort and usability.

The seats are a tad narrow for the wider individual but not uncomfortable at all. One of my favorite seats I have been in. After 6 hours of non stop driving I did not feel any discomfort at all.
The suspension in my RCF (non adaptive) is firm yet forgiving. I compared it to an M4 and it does feel a bit softer but far more comfortable to be in. I know the newer RCF's have an adaptive system in them but I believe only in the rear and it really does not make any great changes to the way the car feels.
Cabin noise is very minimal and exhaust noise is almost non existent unless you put your foot down. Even then its more intake noise than exhaust. This is actually one thing I do not like and will remedy with a nice exhaust system.
The transmission is good, its not a DCT but its as close as you will get with an auto. 2-8 are all fully locked so the shifts are quick and precise. How it shifts will depends on what mode you are in. Eco is slow and smooth and tries for higher gears to conserve fuel. Normal is just that, what you would expect from any normal auto. Sport and Sport+ wake things up. If you put it in Sport+ and manual mode the shifts are quick and direct. It will hold lower gears to aid in better acceleration and overall performance.....and under hard breaking you get some awesome downshifts!
The following users liked this post:
SoSlow (04-17-18)
Old 03-28-18, 10:58 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow

My concerns are the comfort of it. Obviously the RC F has the power, but how is it on the comfort side. How are the seats? How is getting in and out? Does the suspension adjust when the driving mode is changed? If not, how is the suspension in regard to sporty vs comfort? How is the exhaust noise in cabin? Any drone? How is the transmission when driving sporty? The automatic in the Z wants to get to 7th gear ASAP. It will go to 7th gear doing 40mph. If you want to use the revs, you have to keep it in manual mode. How is the road noise?
I purchased a low mileage RCF (all possible options) back in November. I could not be happier with my car. This will be staying with me for a very long time.

Also, Lexus fitted it with MPSS non-XL version without the sidewall additional reinforcements. So, the sidewalls flex a bit, but I will get the MPS4S next, which only come in XL version.

Comfort is awesome. My other car is stiff like a brick due to aftermarket shocks/springs so my wife loves the RCF's ride quality despite it being stiff/firm, but not overly harsh. It has bucket leather seats that have great comfort as long as you are not overly large where the side bolsters will start to poke into your lower back/waist.

I will be buying used. Anything specific to this model to look for? I'm not in a hurry, just started looking into options a week or 2 ago and could always just keep the Z, add Recaro seats, put in some sound deadening.... but I have a feeling I'm ready to move on to the next thing.
2017 and onwards have adjustable suspension so if you want AVS then you will have to buy a newer model. With my non-adjustable RCF, when you go over bumpy roads, you feel the bumps, but it does not have a rough edge to it. You simply realize you are going over a bad road. On smooth roads, it is extremely poised especially under acceleration or hard cornering.

If you are a handling junkie and drive the car at 8/10ths or higher, TVD/Carbon package is worth the extra money (personally, speaking). I have it and the front of the car is extremely responsive with the TVD under hard cornering. 'Slalom' makes the front end very "darty", but 'track' mode is perfect for spirited driving. It very easily allows the tail to slide out under power in the corners. Also, the harder you push the gas pedal, the more the car rotates in the corner. Standard RCF has the LSD, which also will work equally well under most conditions.

Mark Levinson 17 speaker stereo is also a very popular option. Blind spot monitoring, intuitive parking assist are great options to have. Lane departure alert, leather seats, triple LED headlights are all very useful. Heated/cooled seats depend on where you live. I personally do not use them at all.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 03-28-18 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SoSlow (04-17-18)
Old 03-28-18, 04:00 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm also a Z owner but I got a 300zx TT. I've driven the 370z and been around Zs for a whole while and you can't compare it to the RC-F. The RC-F is super comfortable. It's not the easiest car to get in or out but it's not really bad at all. And this is me because I don't want to mess up the bolster on the seats when getting in and out so I take the extra step and am more careful so I don't rub all the time on the seat. I have a 2016 which doesn't have the variable suspension so the ride is not as soft and comfy as say a GS350 but it is right there in a sweet spot where it isn't too stiff or too soft and it handles great. The power, well, I love the response of the V8 n/a, specially in S Sport+ and the growl (even stock as is mine) which makes it all that more of an exciting time every time you drive. And if you want it quiet, leave it in normal mode and keep it under 4k rpm and it its quiet and smooth and the cabin is pretty quiet for a sports car, can't complain about road noise and wind etc... I mean, sometimes you are doing waaaaay faster than you think and don't even feel or realize it. Luxury is awesome, quality and finish is excellent and reliability is also great. I have no regrets with my F

I wouldn't even test drive the RC350 if you are looking for performance, it's not a slow car but... it's slow lol... For reference, it's almost a second and a half slower than the RC-F on the 1/4 mile for example... and that is a huge difference. The RC-F runs constant 12.8s and as low as 12.5 stock whereas the RC350 I've only seen in the 14s, maybe break into 13.9... could be wrong, someone chime in here but it is a big difference between the two. The Q60 might have the most potential for mods and bang for the buck with those twin turbos... add an intake, exhaust, boost a little more and a tune and you get quite a good jump (at least if it's anything like the 300zx is) the RC-F probably would need a supercharger to see a real big jump in performance but as it is, it's already pretty awesome and doing a few things to satisfy the mod bug like an exhaust and an intake gives it a nice little boost.
Old 03-28-18, 04:01 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have a 2015 RCF. Got the catback Borla exhaust system. Sounds awesome.

Anyway, I'm happy with it. The RCF is more of a Grand Touring car than a "track car". Very smooth and easy cruising at highway speeds. However, when switch to manual Sports+ and I punch it, the Borla exhaust system is really lound at 4k+ rpms. And the rev matching down shifts above 4k rpm's are just musical. The rev matching will also do it in sports+ auto mode as I found out a few weeks after I got it while on an on ramp. I was going about 55mph and started merging, but a semi truck decided to get back from the fast lane on to the lane I'm merging into which forced me to hit the brakes and in turn the RCF automatically down shifted and rev matched. I then had no choice but to punch it to get ahead of the semi truck because I was running out of roads in front of me. I was surprised that the RCF just picked up speed without any hesitation and I looked at my speedo and I was well beyond triple digits!! I was afraid of the hesitation people talked about. Just get the ECU reflashed per TSB.

I think 2017 and later, the suspension has AVS which will adjust automatically. But this means very difficult to mod the suspension if you want to.

Mine did not have the TVD carbon performance package. But has everything else including ML, Triple LED headlights, BSM, Cross Traffic Alerts, and etc. I use my RCF primarily as a highway cruiser.

Hope you find an RCF soon!!!

Late 40s, no kids at home, have a company truck, wife has an SUV. My 370Z is paid off and I'm looking for the next thing. I really like the looks and performance of the Z, but there are several things I'm kinda over. The interior looks decent, but isn't the greatest. Fit and finish is there, but things are still noisy just casual driving. The seats are less than great. The road noise is terrible and the ride comfort is pretty lacking. Suspension is great for the back roads and the car handles wonderful in that aspect. I added better sway bars, camber arms, coilovers, dropped it an inch, wider wheel\tires, high flow cats, Borla exhaust, long tube intakes and had the engine tuned with Ecutek. I've probably caused some of my own problem, by modding for performance, I lost the little comfort it had. My wife HATES it. Never really has liked it. She thinks its hard to get in and out of, loud and jerky. So, we pretty much take hers whenever we go anywhere together.

So, I started looking for sporty coupe options that are more on the luxury end. I am looking at Q60 Red Sport, RC 350 F Sport and RC F. Unfortunately, nothing close by to test drive. I've pretty much ruled out the RC 350 F sport. I think the drop in performance from the Z would be missed. But I would still like to test one before dropping it. I like the Q60 and the Red Sport has the power, but if the 7 speed tranny is the same as the one in the Z, I think I would be disappointed. Looking at spending 45-50k, this has left me mostly looking at the RC-F now that used prices are in that range.

My current car.

Old 03-30-18, 10:16 AM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted2JZ
The Q60S Red Sport and RC350 are hard to compare to the RCF. Pretty much different classes of cars.

My experiance is from a 2015 RCF so take that into consideration.
I have driven the 370Z, owned 2 G37's (one S and one IPL both 6 speed) and a bunch of other higher end performance vehicles through the years. That being said, I would not go back to any of them after the RCF.
Its a great blend of performance, comfort and usability.

The seats are a tad narrow for the wider individual but not uncomfortable at all. One of my favorite seats I have been in. After 6 hours of non stop driving I did not feel any discomfort at all.
The suspension in my RCF (non adaptive) is firm yet forgiving. I compared it to an M4 and it does feel a bit softer but far more comfortable to be in. I know the newer RCF's have an adaptive system in them but I believe only in the rear and it really does not make any great changes to the way the car feels.
Cabin noise is very minimal and exhaust noise is almost non existent unless you put your foot down. Even then its more intake noise than exhaust. This is actually one thing I do not like and will remedy with a nice exhaust system.
The transmission is good, its not a DCT but its as close as you will get with an auto. 2-8 are all fully locked so the shifts are quick and precise. How it shifts will depends on what mode you are in. Eco is slow and smooth and tries for higher gears to conserve fuel. Normal is just that, what you would expect from any normal auto. Sport and Sport+ wake things up. If you put it in Sport+ and manual mode the shifts are quick and direct. It will hold lower gears to aid in better acceleration and overall performance.....and under hard breaking you get some awesome downshifts!
I agree with this post and throwing my two cents worth in. I also had a G37 S, highly modified with the same VQ that's in the Z. The RC F is a big leap forward in all aspects. And I get it - the Red Sport is a TT six pushing 400...and they're very nice cars...just not in the same category as the RC F as others have pointed out. Immediately prior to the RC F I had a 60th Anniversary Corvette Grand Sport. Modded up to 600 hp. Performance? Gobs of it. Attention to detail and refinement in the cabin? Not enough for what I paid for it. Dropped serious cash to get the interior looking remotely as good as the RC F and others in that class. So for me the RC F is solid middle ground with plenty of performance (yep, it's seen it's share of mods) and a quality interior with excellent soundproofing and the all-important fighter cockpit feel. Seats are incredible for those with a normal or fit body shape. However, a big boy (translation: fat) tried to fit in my passenger seat and the bolsters were too narrow. Something to keep in mind for all the corn-fed individuals.
Old 04-01-18, 08:26 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

I'm getting a decent idea of the packages and options. It seems most all have the premium package, navigation and carbon fiber. The performance package is less common, which is ok because l want the moon roof. I haven't seen any with the weather package. Not a big deal, some neat options, but it's not something I'm looking for and wouldn't pay extra for it. The ML audio seems to be in about half the cars I see for sale. I am planing to get this option. If I understand correctly, the gray and the red seats are leather. The black with contrast stitching is leather, the nulux is all black.

I'm looking at these two cars at Car Max for comparison. Not really seeing any difference other than color and mileage. Am I missing something? Seems odd they would be priced the same with a 6k mileage difference. The pics of the gray interior on the blue one does not look good. Is that just poor pics? I like the contrast with the rest of the black interior, but not if the color looks like the pics of this car. They have the gray seats listed as leatherette. thought gray was leather. Of these 2, I'd go with the blue just because the mileage.

CarMax Link

Anyone know if my current wheels would fit? I'm guessing 305 in the rear is going to be too much.
Front
19x9.5 5x114 20 DG 66.10 \ 255/35/19
Rear
19x11.0 5x114 18 DG 66.10 \ 305/30/19

Last edited by SoSlow; 04-01-18 at 09:55 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 10:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I remember that there are two type of "leather" in the Lexus line up.

One is the "real leather" and the other option is "fake leather". Mine has the "real leather" and is black in color. So far so good. No problems and no signs of any wear. I recall reading on this forum that some members had issues with the red seats showing premature wear/wrinkles/tears. Also some members had issues with beige or light colored seats with transfer of their blue jean color onto the seats showing blue.

So it is possible to have "fake leather" in the RCF. I forgot which "option package" had the "fake leather".

One way to find out is to look it up via VIN# and see.

I thought it is always HAD to be "real leather" in order to have the perforated seats for the cool ventilation seats.......maybe I am wrong since all of the RCF's got the perforated seats and with the cool ventilation seats.

I'm getting a decent idea of the packages and options. It seems most all have the premium package, navigation and carbon fiber. The performance package is less common, which is ok because l want the moon roof. I haven't seen any with the weather package. Not a big deal, some neat options, but it's not something I'm looking for and wouldn't pay extra for it. The ML audio seems to be in about half the cars I see for sale. I am planing to get this option. If I understand correctly, the gray and the red seats are leather. The black with contrast stitching is leather, the nulux is all black.

I'm looking at these two cars at Car Max for comparison. Not really seeing any difference other than color and mileage. Am I missing something? Seems odd they would be priced the same with a 6k mileage difference. The pics of the gray interior on the blue one does not look good. Is that just poor pics? I like the contrast with the rest of the black interior, but not if the color looks like the pics of this car. They have the gray seats listed as leatherette. thought gray was leather. Of these 2, I'd go with the blue just because the mileage.

CarMax Link

Anyone know if my current wheels would fit? I'm guessing 305 in the rear is going to be too much.
Front
19x9.5 5x114 20 DG 66.10 \ 255/35/19
Rear
19x11.0 5x114 18 DG 66.10 \ 305/30/19
Old 04-02-18, 02:55 PM
Teutonic
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

How is the transmission when driving sporty? The automatic in the Z wants to get to 7th gear ASAP. It will go to 7th gear doing 40mph. If you want to use the revs, you have to keep it in manual mode.
It's not the fastest out there, but in Sport or Sport+ it's more than adequate in my opinion. In all but Sport+, my GSF (same powertrain as RCF) will quickly get to 8th gear by 42mph if you're not heavy on the pedal. In Sport it's much more apt to drop 8th to 5th or 8th to 6th with some gas. When braking hard it will rip the downshifts off pretty quick one after the other (the sounds this car makes is very addictive). In Sport+ it won't go above 6th gear unless you're at higher highway speeds. I always say the car is very Jekyll & Hyde depending on your mood.
Old 04-02-18, 04:25 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Teutonic
It's not the fastest out there, but in Sport or Sport+ it's more than adequate in my opinion. In all but Sport+, my GSF (same powertrain as RCF) will quickly get to 8th gear by 42mph if you're not heavy on the pedal. In Sport it's much more apt to drop 8th to 5th or 8th to 6th with some gas. When braking hard it will rip the downshifts off pretty quick one after the other (the sounds this car makes is very addictive). In Sport+ it won't go above 6th gear unless you're at higher highway speeds. I always say the car is very Jekyll & Hyde depending on your mood.
I daily drive a 6 speed manual, 8350 rpm with a heavy duty ACT clutch + MWR chromoly 8 lbs light flywheel. I would like to continue practicing my heel-toe downshifts and rev-matches. Still, the RCF's free-revving in sport+ and ability to rev in first 3 gears so quickly baffles me considering it has 3 times the displacement my 4 banger has. Also being velvety smooth is a huge plus. I am not used to a high strung engine like this being so smooth and vibration free. Punching from 5500 rpm out of a corner quickly hits the rev limiter.

When I drive the RCF, I don't miss having a manual transmission in it. I use M-mode and Sport+ mostly. I downshift down to 2nd or 3rd hold and then wait for the right opportunity to rocket out of a corner or merge on to freeway, passing slow traffic etc.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-02-18 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 05:24 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

OP, When you get your RCF, transfer those wheels from your 370 to it
Old 04-02-18, 05:37 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PunisheRCF
OP, When you get your RCF, transfer those wheels from your 370 to it
Checked this morning. Getyourwheels says no go, too wide. Was hoping. Not too thrilled with most of the Lexus wheels. The 19" split 7 spokes looks best to me.
Old 04-02-18, 05:42 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

I'm ok with fly and drive or even shipping, but I really want to test drive before getting too serious. Closest dealer with one is 2 hrs away. Hoping something pops up closer.
Old 04-02-18, 05:56 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

How wide are they? Specs?
Old 04-03-18, 02:51 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

The Z is dropped an inch on coils and the wheels fit nice and flush without spacers.

Front
19x9.5 +20 with 255/35/19
Rear
19x11 +18 with 305/30/19

Jason said they have put 9.5 or 10 on the front and 10.5 or 11 on the rear of the RC F, but the offsets are completely different than the Z.

Quick Reply: Considering an RC F