RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Missing 3rd gear on M shifts

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 09:46 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Missing 3rd gear on M shifts

I did the fuel pump recall last week, and ever since I got the car back I'm starting to miss shifts into 3rd gear in manual. It's happened about 4 or 5 times now in the last few days. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? I'm not sure if it's a coincidence with the fuel pump change, but I definitely did not have this issue before it was changed.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-18, 11:22 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have not done the fuel pump recall yet.

But this is strange.

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I did the fuel pump recall last week, and ever since I got the car back I'm starting to miss shifts into 3rd gear in manual. It's happened about 4 or 5 times now in the last few days. Is anybody else experiencing this issue? I'm not sure if it's a coincidence with the fuel pump change, but I definitely did not have this issue before it was changed.

Cheers,
Old 03-31-18, 04:08 PM
e2dag
Rookie

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Mine is getting done next weekend, April 7th. What do you mean it's missing 3rd gear? Going from 2nd to 4th? I'll report back once I have mine done.
Old 03-31-18, 10:20 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by e2dag
Mine is getting done next weekend, April 7th. What do you mean it's missing 3rd gear? Going from 2nd to 4th? I'll report back once I have mine done.
My bad man, I should of been more specific. So when I shift from 2nd to 3rd it stays in second gear then redlines hard, as I'm expecting it to shift. When I don't take it to redline, mabye around 4 to 5K rpm the shifts seem a bit delayed from 2nd to 3rd too. When I start to keep an eye on it, or reproduce back to back mishaps it doesn't do it. It's like it only happens when I'm not paying attention.

I know if I take it in, it's not going to happen with the technician.
Old 03-31-18, 11:43 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Hmmm....Lexus tried to replicate a true manual so it will hit the rev limiter at 7450 rpm when the torque converter is locked up and then keep cutting fuel off intermittently until you shift to 3rd. Mine does the same in all gears from 2nd onwards. I believe, the 1st to 2nd will hit the rev limiter and then automatically shift up from what my observations are.

My bad man, I should of been more specific. So when I shift from 2nd to 3rd it stays in second gear then redlines hard, as I'm expecting it to shift. When I don't take it to redline, mabye around 4 to 5K rpm the shifts seem a bit delayed from 2nd to 3rd too. When I start to keep an eye on it, or reproduce back to back mishaps it doesn't do it. It's like it only happens when I'm not paying attention.

Old 04-01-18, 12:14 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Interesting @05RollaXRS. I wasn't aware of that, but very good to know. When I have the issue it won't get out of 2nd. I finally see it and I let go and she comes down in 2nd gear, rumbling all the way. So I definitely can tell it never left 2nd gear.
Old 04-01-18, 01:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,795 Posts

Yeah, only 1st to 2nd shift up will be automatic after you feel few jerks of the fuel cutoff. 2nd onwards in M mode, when you go past the redline into the rev limiter , it will bounce off the rev limiter cutting fuel off until you shift up. I have driven manuals all my life so I am very used to rev limiters.
Old 04-01-18, 01:54 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

In the Armytrix vids I posted, he's always tapping out the redline and you hear the exhaust make that 'dat dat dat' sputter. He loves doing that, but apparently not to many cars will do that he said.

I know we keep saying it, but if the F was a manual ...oh my would I be a happy camper. And to take it even further in my dreaming mind, have a way to switch it back to our current transmission method when we are in traffic. Now I'm dreaming. TBH driving a manual wasn't that bad in traffic. I do miss backing up w/ a manual in a parking lot, and giving it a little rev and have everybody kind of turn their heads.

I'm going to keep an eye on the shifting and see where I stand. I was just curious if anybody else was experiencing it too.
Old 04-01-18, 11:57 AM
WolfManRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven't had the high pressure fuel pump work done on my car yet. It's scheduled for this Thu.

Now regarding your shifting issue you are describing, the only time I experience what you are reporting is when the car is not fully warmed up. So even when the coolant temp has reached normal (after about less than 5 min) and the engine oil temp has reached normal (after about less than 15 min) sometimes I find the tranny oil temp has not reached normal operating temp and the up shifts under spirited driving will not take place. However, once the tranny oil temp is at normal operating temperature the shifts are bang, bang, bang... Note, depending on the outside temp, I find the tranny can sometimes take up to 20 min to reach maximum performance.

wolfman
The following users liked this post:
Mingofish (04-01-18)
Old 04-01-18, 02:43 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

Well I had recall done last Friday. Car didn’t miss a beat. Shifting seems fine. I’m going to assume the tech screwed something up in your car or it was like wolfman said, cold tranny fluid.

Also fyi
i have the RR tune and so far I haven’t gotten a cel so I’m guessing they didn’t have to reflash ecu. So glad!!
Old 04-01-18, 11:36 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by WolfManRCF
I haven't had the high pressure fuel pump work done on my car yet. It's scheduled for this Thu.

Now regarding your shifting issue you are describing, the only time I experience what you are reporting is when the car is not fully warmed up. So even when the coolant temp has reached normal (after about less than 5 min) and the engine oil temp has reached normal (after about less than 15 min) sometimes I find the tranny oil temp has not reached normal operating temp and the up shifts under spirited driving will not take place. However, once the tranny oil temp is at normal operating temperature the shifts are bang, bang, bang... Note, depending on the outside temp, I find the tranny can sometimes take up to 20 min to reach maximum performance.

wolfman
Indeed! I noticed this too. If I put it in Sport+ and shift moderately when she's cold, the shifts are definitely delayed. And this makes total sense, so now I always have it in Normal until shes' fully warmed up and I can see my fluids are in the middle, and my redline is opened up. Then I will switch it to Sport+ mode. She definitely takes a long time to warm up in the winter, and on those cold mornings. This sucks sometimes as I need a little get up and go sometimes when I merge on the freeway, so I try to warm her up better on those cold days. Regarding the tranny, I can see the same that it would take longer.
Old 04-01-18, 11:38 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by Mingofish
Well I had recall done last Friday. Car didn’t miss a beat. Shifting seems fine. I’m going to assume the tech screwed something up in your car or it was like wolfman said, cold tranny fluid.

Also fyi
i have the RR tune and so far I haven’t gotten a cel so I’m guessing they didn’t have to reflash ecu. So glad!!
I bet this was discussed in another thread, but what stood out for you with the RR tune after you did it? Were the shifts any better? Car feels more aggressive?

I'm really thinking about doing it, I was just afraid I would mess with the warranty. I know it would, but more so worried that something would go wrong right after I did the mod.
Old 04-02-18, 10:40 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Just came from a 6 speed manual, and don't miss rowing through the gears at all. Does seem kinda strange now with a automatic, since my left leg and right arm, act like they should be doing something every time the car starts moving.
Old 04-02-18, 07:35 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

I bet this was discussed in another thread, but what stood out for you with the RR tune after you did it? Were the shifts any better? Car feels more aggressive?

I'm really thinking about doing it, I was just afraid I would mess with the warranty. I know it would, but more so worried that something would go wrong right after I did the mod.
Well I hate to say it, but I didn’t feel a noticeable difference performance wise. At least nothing that would make you say wow! May be the mid range torque was a little better.
I mainly did it because I needed the check engine light cleared after the ppe header were installed. But that alone was worth it for me.
Just fyi, the dealership can not detect the tune according to RR so you would not risk giving up warranty.
They did my fuel pump recall and never said anything.
The following users liked this post:
Carnevino (04-03-18)
Old 04-03-18, 08:51 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Cheers,
Just curious, are you using the stick or the paddles to shift?

Quick Reply: Missing 3rd gear on M shifts