RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Joined the family

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18 | 09:23 PM
Ozbej
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Joined the family

Greetings all,

On Saturday my wife and I picked up a new to us 2015 RC F. I first wanted to say how helpful the forum was in understanding all the PROs and CONs of this car so I could really toss it around in my head before deciding to buy. We are a prime example of what may not work for someone else, or be the best for most people shouldn’t rule out that it may be the best option for you. Here’s our story why:

My wife gets motion sick. On a level few understand she isn’t able to handle sudden movements, swaying, rocking, change of elevation, I mean the list is endless. Boats, planes, and apparently my baby 335i xdrive that I absolutely loved. Growing up reading car mags touting that the 3 series was the car. Perfect balance of power, handling, and luxury winning 10 best on everyone’s list over and over. It was my dream car (well reasonably attainable one) that I finally made possible. I tuned it, exhaust, swapped the front fascia, changed the emblems to color match the car, blacked the grills and added M spoiler, the list goes on. It was mine and looked like no other 3 in Kansas City. But... after a year and a half it had to go. She couldn’t ride in it ever so it sat there most days of the week. So on Wednesday off it went and I was honestly a little depressed. Until yesterday.

I had decided to look at the RC F, an AMG 43 or 63, Q60, possibly a GT350, heck even considered that new Wrangler (still on the table in a couple years to replace her X3). The Lexus was the lowest on the list. I heard it all: too heavy vs the competition, too slow for the money, lagging throttle. But, it was a nice mix of luxury and power with a good chance of being more reliable than the Merc. More upscale than the Mustang even with it’s upgraded trim. Q60 was a real possibility as she loved our G35 years ago, but I had already done one of the best turbo 6s out there and wanted a change. And the look, while initially we hated the spindle grill (and still do on most Lexus vehicles) it just kinda worked on this thing. You want aggressive, that’s the point.

Thursday night came around and we took it out for about half an hour. I didn’t attack the road but I was on it some, she felt fine like she did back when we had our G35. Slept on it and still wasn’t sure. Depreciation on these sucks sadly, what if she gets bad a month in to owning... we’re screwed. Saturday morning came quickly, and this time I said to both her and our salesman (who was amazing as was the rest of the dealership with us) that I was going to get after it for 45 minutes too an hour. If she’s good we’re buying, if she starts getting headaches sorry to have wasted the time. Hour later we’re ready to close the deal.

The weight and lack of roll helped her floaty feeling issues. The slower acceleration until over 3500rpms made it more comfortable for her not getting tossed back in to the seat with her stomach still near the dash. She loved the growl, the seats, the interior quality, the soundsystem. It was an absolute hit and some of what doesn’t work when it’s on paper less value and performance vs an M4 or an AMG was exactly what the doctor ordered for us.

Long story later, find the right car for you. We’re here now because as much as I loved my BMW and those 10ths of a second do matter, it’s not the most important thing in the world.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ozbej:
Diode Dynamics (04-11-18), Z3NK1 (04-11-18)
Old 04-08-18 | 09:41 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Shes a beaut!! Welcome to lexus.
have your wife drive in standsrd or eco mode to keep the jolts at bay
Old 04-09-18 | 06:45 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Congratulations!
Old 04-09-18 | 01:26 PM
pheen619
Pit Crew

Congrats!
Old 04-09-18 | 08:16 PM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Congrats! She's a beaut!
Old 04-10-18 | 01:58 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Awesome!

Great story my man!
Just like you I was narrowing it all sorts of similar cars down, tapping into the knowledge base here - which thanks to Member "NJ Steve" sealed my decision!

Still have to post my own story which I will soon, with before and after pics too. Just wanted to say I'm happy for both you and your wife for making the choice!

Semper Fi !
Old 04-11-18 | 07:37 AM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Congrats and welcome!
Old 04-11-18 | 02:31 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

NICE! And you are from my hometown!

Hopefully you bring it out to a Kansas City Cars & Coffee event sometime this year.

Congratulations on the purchase, looks like the one from Hendrick?

Nick C.
Old 04-11-18 | 05:49 PM
Ozbej
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all,

Diode you called it right, they had a few as did Carmax nationwide but it was a fair price for a CPO with 15k on it so figured why the heck not.

I have some friends with a Hellcat that come down to Stonegate sometimes, I'm sure we'll make it there as well!
Old 04-12-18 | 10:58 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Congrats welcome!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886