RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Mods for power or 1/4mile gains?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18 | 05:40 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Default Mods for power or 1/4mile gains?

My goal for this car is to make as much power possible. Can we make a list of best mods available with proven numbers? As well as tires, really light wheels, easy weight savings etc to increase times.
Old 04-15-18 | 08:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

1- Header (+10 - 15 whp)
- Exhaust ( + 18 - 26 whp)
- Intake should be avoided since it causes loss of power. Stock CAI is perfect.
- RR Tune (improves midrange, but no gain at high rpms).
- MPS4S tires (stickier than stock) or stickier track tires, which should not be heavier than stock for maximum response.
- Lighter wheels of same 19 inch circumference (Important: believe it or not, 20 inch wheels even if lighter, are detrimental. Because larger wheels have mass placed 1 inch farther away from center of rotation. In short, the closer the weight to the center of rotation, the easier it is for torque to rotate them. Stock 19 inch wheels are better than lighter 20 inch wheels because mass is closer to the center of rotation. Besides, larger wheels means taller gearing, which is bad for off the line acceleration)

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-15-18 at 09:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
GunnyFitz (04-18-18), ZiPPyRCF (05-11-18)
Old 04-16-18 | 05:08 AM
NodOff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
1- Header (+10 - 15 whp)
- Exhaust ( + 18 - 26 whp)
- Intake should be avoided since it causes loss of power. Stock CAI is perfect.
- RR Tune (improves midrange, but no gain at high rpms).
- MPS4S tires (stickier than stock) or stickier track tires, which should not be heavier than stock for maximum response.
- Lighter wheels of same 19 inch circumference (Important: believe it or not, 20 inch wheels even if lighter, are detrimental. Because larger wheels have mass placed 1 inch farther away from center of rotation. In short, the closer the weight to the center of rotation, the easier it is for torque to rotate them. Stock 19 inch wheels are better than lighter 20 inch wheels because mass is closer to the center of rotation. Besides, larger wheels means taller gearing, which is bad for off the line acceleration)
- RR Racing supercharger.
Old 04-16-18 | 08:58 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Originally Posted by NodOff
- RR Racing supercharger.
^^ This. <FIN>....haha
The following users liked this post:
NodOff (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18 | 10:10 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

PPE Headers
Borla Exhaust
RR - Racing tune
Performance tires
Lighter wheels
Lighter brakes.

Contact us for information and pricing on all these!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
NodOff (04-16-18)
Old 04-16-18 | 11:40 AM
tdhuffman
Driver School Candidate

Default Go Fast Mods

If you are only trying to improve your 1/4 time, I say bolt ons, sticky tires and spray.
Old 04-16-18 | 02:38 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by tdhuffman
If you are only trying to improve your 1/4 time, I say bolt ons, sticky tires and spray.
Suggestions for sticky tires? And how much does a spray kit run for?
Old 04-16-18 | 02:39 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Some good responses... dont have funds for supercharger and may not for awhile, anyone bottle fed? And you guys have suggestions for Tires and light wheels?
Old 04-16-18 | 02:42 PM
NickZ
Rookie

I have a Borla exhaust which I picked up from Josh a while back and still love it. I'd love to grab a set of headers but don't want the exhaust smell and check engine light (I know the tune would take care of this) plus my wife already thinks the car is too loud with the Borla the way it is. It would be nice if someone could integrate a high flow cat in to their design to mitigate the effects of having to deal with check engine lights and the smell from the exhaust while providing reasonable gains, not sure how that would play out though plus EL headers with installation would set me back around 3K. That's a third of the way to a RR SC without all of the overhead the headers bring for about a 20 horse gain. I also don't want the car to sound like crap so there's that as well...

I ran what looked like a 2015 or so S8 the other night who followed me around for a bit. He pulled about a half car on me when we turned left on to a two lane road, I had the car in normal mode and floored it when I saw him pull to my right. We lined up at the next light, I put it in sport + mode, left it in full automatic with no brake torque and it launched perfectly with no spin, we were side by side into some pretty high speeds. Based on what I read, that thing should have destroyed me but he didn't load the engine at the light either so I'm not sure what happened there. Gave him a thumbs up and went on our way, seemed like a pretty cool guy but this has me itching to mod a bit more now. Trading the car in for something faster wouldn't make much financial sense with the depreciation I'd be hit with since I've owned it new from 2015.

Last edited by NickZ; 04-16-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-16-18 | 02:49 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by NickZ
I have a Borla exhaust which I picked up from Josh a while back and still love it. I'd love to grab a set of headers but don't want the exhaust smell and check engine light (I know the tune would take care of this) plus my wife already thinks the car is too loud with the Borla the way it is. It would be nice if someone could integrate a high flow cat in to their design to mitigate the effects of having to deal with check engine lights and the smell from the exhaust while providing reasonable gains, not sure how that would play out though plus EL headers with installation would set me back around 3K. That's a third of the way to a RR SC without all of the overhead the headers bring for about a 20 horse gain.

I ran what looked like a 2015 or so S8 the other night who followed me around for a bit. He pulled about a half car on me when we turned left on to a two lane road, I had the car in normal mode and floored it when I saw him pull to my right. We lined up at the next light, I put it in sport + mode, left it in full automatic with no brake torque and it launched perfectly with no spin, we were side by side into some pretty high speeds. Based on what I read, that thing should have destroyed me but he didn't load the engine at the light either so I'm not sure what happened there. Gave him a thumbs up and went on our way, seemed like a pretty cool guy but this has me itching to mod a bit more now. Trading the car in for something faster wouldn't make much financial sense with the depreciation I'd be hit with since I've owned it new from 2015.
our cars are underrated bro.. I pulled a car length on an m4 from a 30 roll... no issues. From a dig I'm getting tons of wheels spin though. No issues for you on wheel spin? This car could be a monster but the mods aren't out there it seems... btw arh headers make a catted option.
Old 04-16-18 | 02:51 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by NickZ
I have a Borla exhaust which I picked up from Josh a while back and still love it. I'd love to grab a set of headers but don't want the exhaust smell and check engine light (I know the tune would take care of this) plus my wife already thinks the car is too loud with the Borla the way it is. It would be nice if someone could integrate a high flow cat in to their design to mitigate the effects of having to deal with check engine lights and the smell from the exhaust while providing reasonable gains, not sure how that would play out though plus EL headers with installation would set me back around 3K. That's a third of the way to a RR SC without all of the overhead the headers bring for about a 20 horse gain. I also don't want the car to sound like crap so there's that as well...

Can people really smell the headers?
Old 04-16-18 | 02:57 PM
NickZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
our cars are underrated bro.. I pulled a car length on an m4 from a 30 roll... no issues. From a dig I'm getting tons of wheels spin though. No issues for you on wheel spin? This car could be a monster but the mods aren't out there it seems... btw arh headers make a catted option.
I've had issues with wheelspin before, especially if I load up the engine so that's why I didn't hoping it would hook up and it did, I was surprised at how fast that thing was but equally surprised at how well my F did against it. I'm wondering if loading it up to around 1500 RPM is the sweet spot, I'll have to mess with it a bit now that I have it out and the weather is getting better. I saw some of the posts from Nick at ARH about their system but I thought he said it would throw a check engine light as well?
Old 04-16-18 | 05:05 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Same issue. I spin like crazy off the line in the sense, it grips off the line, but then as soon as revs hit 4000 rpm, it starts spinning like crazy and then have to easy up a bit to get some grip. I have to see in warm temperatures, if the grip off the line is better as it could be tire temperature.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 04-16-18 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-16-18 | 05:18 PM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

Can people really smell the headers?

I believe the smell would be because there is no more cats thus a stronger exhaust smell.
I am new to this forum and just need to ask a question. I am installing a Borla cat back system. Does that setup throw engine codes? Little confused on some of the responses. I would assume installing headers would throw codes! Also do I understand correctly that the RR chip would take care of throwing a code? Nothing else has been done to the car but a CAI.
Old 04-16-18 | 07:02 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by sheyme

I believe the smell would be because there is no more cats thus a stronger exhaust smell.
I am new to this forum and just need to ask a question. I am installing a Borla cat back system. Does that setup throw engine codes? Little confused on some of the responses. I would assume installing headers would throw codes! Also do I understand correctly that the RR chip would take care of throwing a code? Nothing else has been done to the car but a CAI.
Based on what I've gathered. Borla catback will not throw codes.. I can verify in few days when mine is installed. Headers will throw a code with rr tune it will take care of code. I'm not an expert and can't verify but I'm sure someone can verify.
sheyme (04-16-18)

Quick Reply: Mods for power or 1/4mile gains?