RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Borla questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-18, 01:11 PM
sheyme
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Xzria
Can you hear it a lot with all the windows up? I honestly do want more drone especially at high speefe and just cruising. How loud is it out of 10? Also maybe I should delete the resonator so I get more drone out of it or does it affect performance and will it not sound as deep?
I am going to have to say that on a scale by 1-10 the sound at normal cruise, top gear and windows up is maybe a 4 tops over the sound of the stock system in the same exact condition. You need to consider that the motor is only running at about 1800 = 2000 rpm at that time. There just is not much pull and power required. Anybody back me up if I am wrong here. So I do not know if I would recommend taking the resonator out. It is just part of the system. Yes you will have more sound. Have you considered maybe using manual mode and leaving the engine in 7th gear? That would give you more sound since your engine is using higher rpm's. However your gas mileage will go down. I think there might be other systems that will be louder that might be better. I do drive about 1.5 hours to work once a week and I am happy with the sound. Just enough to not get tired of it.
Old 04-25-18, 07:00 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I think the Borla exhaust system on the RCF is plenty loud.

Just yesterday while taking off from a stop sign in M Sport+ in 1st gear in a residential two lane street. As I reved up pass 4K all the way to 7K just before the redline and shifted to 2nd I saw a familiar car approaching me in the opposite direction and we passed each other. Half a hour later I arrived at work and one of my coworkers was the one driving the other car!!! She told me as we crossed on that street, the sound of my car (Borla) almost belew her ears out and lucky for her she only had her driver's side window down about an inch. LOL.

Originally Posted by sheyme
I am going to have to say that on a scale by 1-10 the sound at normal cruise, top gear and windows up is maybe a 4 tops over the sound of the stock system in the same exact condition. You need to consider that the motor is only running at about 1800 = 2000 rpm at that time. There just is not much pull and power required. Anybody back me up if I am wrong here. So I do not know if I would recommend taking the resonator out. It is just part of the system. Yes you will have more sound. Have you considered maybe using manual mode and leaving the engine in 7th gear? That would give you more sound since your engine is using higher rpm's. However your gas mileage will go down. I think there might be other systems that will be louder that might be better. I do drive about 1.5 hours to work once a week and I am happy with the sound. Just enough to not get tired of it.
The following users liked this post:
sheyme (04-26-18)
Old 04-25-18, 09:13 PM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

Just yesterday while taking off from a stop sign in M Sport+ in 1st gear in a residential two lane street. As I reved up pass 4K all the way to 7K just before the redline and shifted to 2nd I saw a familiar car approaching me in the opposite direction and we passed each other. Half a hour later I arrived at work and one of my coworkers was the one driving the other car!!! She told me as we crossed on that street, the sound of my car (Borla) almost belew her ears out and lucky for her she only had her driver's side window down about an inch. LOL.
That definitely does help. I honestly wish I could afford GtHaus sus. It sounds do so good and seems really loud .
Old 04-26-18, 11:00 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Contact us for Borla RCF exhausts!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 04-26-18, 03:47 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

On the contrary I am not always impressed by Borla's 1-3k rpm range unless I'm flooring through it, but this is funny because regardless how I feel about the low rpm range, I know the 6-7k rpm shifts are deafening and it sounds vicious. I've seen the reactions of a few commuter sedans trying to unnecessarily pass me and they give up real quick when they hear the high rpms.

Although... 6-7k rpm on 1st gear pulls damn hard to be done often in city streets and 2nd gear you're already doing 60-70. Can't even do it in 3rd gear unless I wanna be speeding excessively.
Old 04-27-18, 02:49 PM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
On the contrary I am not always impressed by Borla's 1-3k rpm range unless I'm flooring through it, but this is funny because regardless how I feel about the low rpm range, I know the 6-7k rpm shifts are deafening and it sounds vicious. I've seen the reactions of a few commuter sedans trying to unnecessarily pass me and they give up real quick when they hear the high rpms.

Although... 6-7k rpm on 1st gear pulls damn hard to be done often in city streets and 2nd gear you're already doing 60-70. Can't even do it in 3rd gear unless I wanna be speeding excessively.
But with the lowish torque....of course I'm on it in the 1-3k rpm range. I find the exhaust loud.
Old 04-27-18, 05:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Exactly!!! At low rpms around 1K to 2K, the Borla is tolerable and not that noticeable. So good for parking lot and multi level garage cruising or in heavy city traffic or middle of the night. Although the cold start is EPIC and loud for about 25 seconds.

As the rpms climbs to beyond 4K and then if continues to pass 6K, and then to 7.2K......it becomes EXTREMELY LOUD and scary if you are anywhere near the car risking blowing your ears out (other than IN THE CAR, YOU ARE SAFE. LOL).

Yes, in residential city streets I find it very easy to exceed speed limits in FIRST GEAR!!! I was in A VERY FAMILIAR AREA that I know well even with LEOs around, no worries as long as nothing stupid like doing donuts and etc.
​​​​​

Originally Posted by Kerune