RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Caliper mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 08:20 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Brake Caliper mod

I really want the brake calipers to stand out, as mine are currently stock black. I'm thinking about going with the original Brembo red. I saw a video the other day, of somebody placing 3M wrap on the calipers, then placing the Brembo logo over it. Have you guys seen this done? I believe it was on the murdered out RCF. I'm just curious if that will hold up to the heat the brakes generate, and how long they will hold up. I know painting them would be the best, but I didn't really want to take them off. I don't know why, just don't feel comfortable. They placed the wrap over the caliper, and only removed the tire.

What are you guys doing with your brake calipers?
Old 04-22-18, 08:26 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,372 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...iper-wrap.html

My ISF calipers are painted. They don't need to be removed to paint.

Lou
Old 04-22-18, 09:14 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Thanks man!! I didn't know it was that strong for the wrap. I appreciate the link!! Cheers!!!
Old 04-23-18, 01:02 PM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Seems cool but cutting/trimming could be a pain and not sure how it would hold up long-term to the heat of heavy braking. I still have my G2 caliper paint kit (RED) along with Brembo vinyl stickers to put on.

Last edited by Ne1tHeRe; 04-23-18 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 04:33 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I've done it. Fair warning, wrapping Brembos (especially the 6 pistons in the front) will make you want to commit suicide. It will hold up long term without a problem. Had it on for a year with no issues and I drive hard.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-27-18)
Old 04-25-18, 10:48 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Originally Posted by MisterEun
I've done it. Fair warning, wrapping Brembos (especially the 6 pistons in the front) will make you want to commit suicide. It will hold up long term without a problem. Had it on for a year with no issues and I drive hard.
Yea I can see it being a pain. This one place wants $90 each to wrap them. I am curious how long it will last, even though it says high temperature. Or I should just have them painted. I wish they would of just done them from the beginning, like the new RCFs in orange. Granted, I do really want them in red.

Also, when the time does come and they begin to peel, I wonder how hard it will be to peel the rest off and redo.
Old 04-25-18, 11:06 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So... I was just reading about this on Rennlist. Apparently some of the Carrera guys are wrapping them!

ZiPPyRCF (04-25-18)
Old 04-25-18, 11:26 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Nice!! I mean from what I can tell, it does look really good and clean!

So you know how we have brake dust galore from our pads, I wonder how that's going to look on the color brakes :/ hmmmm. Right now with black it's masked, obviously. I'm not sure how much will stick on it. Gosh that brake dust really kills me, but I can't give up those pads for a reduction in braking ...even if it's only 20% reduction. I would take 5% reduction!! Need the brake power baby!!!
Old 04-26-18, 06:24 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
Yea I can see it being a pain. This one place wants $90 each to wrap them. I am curious how long it will last, even though it says high temperature. Or I should just have them painted. I wish they would of just done them from the beginning, like the new RCFs in orange. Granted, I do really want them in red.

Also, when the time does come and they begin to peel, I wonder how hard it will be to peel the rest off and redo.
I actually wrapped them myself with a couple friends.
If I was offered $90 each to do them again, I would say hell no.
They would probably last about 2 years from what I've seen on mine and like I said before I was operating at extremely high temps.
If you're okay with losing factory color, definitely have it painted, you don't have to powdercoat honestly unless you're perfectionist.

I also peeled/removed the wrap myself.
It honestly was not that bad, and I wouldn't mind doing it again if necessary.
There was little to no glue residue left behind when peeled carefully using a heat gun.
Old 04-26-18, 06:28 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Uda880
So... I was just reading about this on Rennlist. Apparently some of the Carrera guys are wrapping them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z_AeLPBpeU
I really am not a fan of him putting a Porsche logo on a VW...Could have just put brembo...
He's right about 1 piece being near impossible though for an amateur.
GunnyFitz (04-27-18)
Old 04-26-18, 10:21 AM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterEun
I really am not a fan of him putting a Porsche logo on a VW...Could have just put brembo...
He's right about 1 piece being near impossible though for an amateur.
Definitely. Informative, but questionable on his logo choice. I get the reasoning, but I was cringing a little at his explanation regardless.
Old 04-26-18, 03:43 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

I highly recommend staying away from wrapping your calipers. I just had my Tesla wrapped and it's not worth it. The shop I took it to said to not wrap the calipers and rims. The wrap are prone to lift at times. Also, this area takes a lot of abuse from dirt, sand, etc.

D2 website shows you how to paint them on and you can get the brake caliper paint kit for around $50. The process takes about 4 hours.
Old 04-26-18, 04:16 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2Insane
I highly recommend staying away from wrapping your calipers. I just had my Tesla wrapped and it's not worth it. The shop I took it to said to not wrap the calipers and rims. The wrap are prone to lift at times. Also, this area takes a lot of abuse from dirt, sand, etc.

D2 website shows you how to paint them on and you can get the brake caliper paint kit for around $50. The process takes about 4 hours.
Gotta provide the price tag you paid for wrapping so they know how much it's not worth.
I did mine with friends and it cost me $40 for material and $10 in beer at most and it took less than 4 hours.
It was absolutely worth it, especially if you factor in the experience.

Wrap will lift if you don't kill the memory, but that applies to corners on panels too...
Another thing I did that helped prevent most of the abuse was having the calipers ceramic coated.
Old 04-26-18, 06:02 PM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 275 Likes on 173 Posts

There are vendors and paint shops that can do incredible work on calipers, like Candy Metallic Red colors but it comes at a price. The other thing you can do is High Temperature Paint, they even have kits designed specifically for painting calipers and you dont need to remove them off the car.
Old 04-26-18, 11:00 PM
Slapshot1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its very easy to simply spray paint calipers yourself. You just need the right, heat rated, spray paint, you remove the wheels, and pack newspaper around the calipers. I've done this on two M3's I owned, and helped a friend paint his. No way I can see the effort of wrapping them, and the limited time it will likely last being worth it. You can do all four calipers in a few hours and the paint lasts for many years, and looks perfect.

JC

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper mod