RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

What's the best all around tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 05:08 AM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What's the best all around tire?

What's the best overall tire? Are the stock tires the best for the car ? Or are there tires that cost a little more that perform better? I want a tire where I can drive even if it's a little rainy (I live in southern California) wanna have the best experience with it on canyon runs.
Old 05-09-18, 05:58 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

If your RCF came with the same Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S , as mine - Yes, those are the best (IMHO)

Tons, and tons of Tire & Wheel Threads within these walls Xzria. Of course, everyone has their own opinion though. You will find many Brand Loyalists who swear by what they use, so its quite often a matter of personal preference (Ride Comfort vs. Performance) Etc.

**For Example: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ess-gripe.html

EDIT: Attaching My Rubber
Attached Thumbnails What's the best all around tire?-michelins.jpeg   What's the best all around tire?-pilot-sport-4s.jpeg  

Last edited by GunnyFitz; 05-09-18 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-09-18, 08:47 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

^^^^Actually they are not. The stock tires on an RCF are SL (standard Load) XL (extra load) tires will handle much better due to stiffer sidewalls.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ess-gripe.html

Lou
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (05-09-18)
Old 05-09-18, 02:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
^^^^Actually they are not. The stock tires on an RCF are SL (standard Load) XL (extra load) tires will handle much better due to stiffer sidewalls.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ess-gripe.html

Lou
I think he meant his car has PS4S, which probably means the original owner ran the OEM out and then got MPS4S as replacement.

Yeah, the stock MPSS on RCF are always one step behind the chassis, suspension and the engine in rapid transitions at slower engine speeds (when the VGRS at low revs "softens" the steering response). MPS4S or MPSS XL (M4-Spec) are the best options.
Old 05-09-18, 03:13 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I think he meant his car has PS4S, which probably means the original owner ran the OEM out and then got MPS4S as replacement.

Yeah, the stock MPSS on RCF are always one step behind the chassis, suspension and the engine in rapid transitions at slower engine speeds (when the VGRS at low revs "softens" the steering response). MPS4S or MPSS XL (M4-Spec) are the best options.
Thank you man! You guys always help out I appreciate it
Old 05-09-18, 04:44 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Im Lost Now

Originally Posted by Xzria
Thank you man! You guys always help out I appreciate it

Can't seem to figure out if you meant ME or the other guy Rolla?
You know I bought my ride brand spankin new from Lexus Of Brooklyn!

I know who to turn to for info, specs, data, etc when it comes to ANY Lexus model brother!
Old 05-09-18, 05:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm...interesting. Yes, I meant your car. Surprising your brand new RCF came with MPS4S since the OEM official tires for RCF are MPSS. There were a few earlier models that came with Bridgestone Potenza, but lately all of them wear MPSS. Yours seems to be an ultra rare one, which came with the MPS4S tires. Wonder if they came from factory or the dealership installed them?

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Can't seem to figure out if you meant ME or the other guy Rolla?
You know I bought my ride brand spankin new from Lexus Of Brooklyn!

I know who to turn to for info, specs, data, etc when it comes to ANY Lexus model brother!
Old 05-09-18, 05:54 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
If your RCF came with the same Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S , as mine - Yes, those are the best (IMHO)

Tons, and tons of Tire & Wheel Threads within these walls Xzria. Of course, everyone has their own opinion though. You will find many Brand Loyalists who swear by what they use, so its quite often a matter of personal preference (Ride Comfort vs. Performance) Etc.

**For Example: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ess-gripe.html

EDIT: Attaching My Rubber
Tbh I want more performance more than anything. I'm guessing the best are the michellen mps4s xL?
Old 05-09-18, 07:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Tbh I want more performance more than anything. I'm guessing the best are the michellen mps4s xL?
No, they are the best when it comes to pure street tires with max performance. Iif you want ultimate performance and willing to sacrifice a bit daily drivability, you can go with the OEM size (255/275) Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. They are almost cut-slick race tires. If you were to take it to the track. you will easily shave off several tenths per lap off the lap time. They were built for the race track, but can be daily driven as long as you don't use them in colder temperatures and don't drive them in large puddles of standing water. Yes, they are XL rated tires as well ( obviously).

Old 05-09-18, 07:09 PM
Xzria
Driver

No, they are the best when it comes to pure street tires with max performance. Iif you want ultimate performance and willing to sacrifice a bit daily drivability, you can go with the OEM size (255/275) Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires. They are almost cut-slick race tires. If you were to take it to the track. you will easily shave off several tenths per lap off the lap time. They were built for the race track, but can be daily driven as long as you don't use them in colder temperatures and don't drive them in large puddles of standing water. Yes, they are XL rated tires as well ( obviously).

​​​​​​Yea that's what I was assuming with the 4s is that it's the overall best tire, especially over the stock ones? Also can you cut time with the 4s as well around the track and straight line?
Old 05-09-18, 07:36 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

​​​​​​Yea that's what I was assuming with the 4s is that it's the overall best tire, especially over the stock ones? Also can you cut time with the 4s as well around the track and straight line?
Yeah, from what Michelin claims, MPS4S tires are an improvement in every aspect over the MPSS tires. I have read MPS4S have almost as good traction as the previous generation Cup 2 tires.
Old 05-09-18, 07:38 PM
Xzria
Driver

Yeah, from what Michelin claims, MPS4S tires are an improvement in every aspect over the MPSS tires. I have read MPS4S have almost as good traction as the previous generation Cup 2 tires.
Wow that is crazy and they're not too exspeexpe. They're standard xl?
Old 05-09-18, 08:09 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Wow that is crazy and they're not too exspeexpe. They're standard xl?
Yeah, only XL available.
Old 05-09-18, 09:14 PM
Xzria
Driver

Yeah, only XL available.
In thinking of getting 20 inch rims, do you think it would be smart? Or will that affect performance. Also should I stay at 255, 275 or go 265 and 288?
Old 05-09-18, 09:28 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

In thinking of getting 20 inch rims, do you think it would be smart? Or will that affect performance. Also should I stay at 255, 275 or go 265 and 288?
Upsizing wheels is mostly for looks. It never helps performance to upsize the wheels with lower profile tires. You will see most of the track cars run 18 inch wheels with decent size sidewalls. RCF's brakes are too big to clear 18 inch so 19 inch is the minimum size you can go with. Bigger wheels means more rotational mass (even if they are lighter, larger wheels have more rotational inertia). Also larger wheels means taller gearing as it is very difficult to keep the same circumference unless you go with super thin tires, but super thin tires don't work on the track.

Quick Reply: What's the best all around tire?