RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Turn off the forced induction sound with the rcf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 08:58 PM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Turn off the forced induction sound with the rcf?

Is there a way to turn off the forced induction sound from the engine that comes into the cabin in sport plus? I have an after market exhaust and only wanna listen to that. Not two different sounds.
Old 05-10-18, 09:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

It is not forced induction sound since RCF is N/A. It is actually the engine sound amplified and piped into the cabin through the speaker. I believe you will have to pull a fuse to disable it.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (05-11-18)
Old 05-10-18, 09:48 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
It is not forced induction sound since RCF is N/A. It is actually the engine sound amplified and piped into the cabin through the speaker. I believe you will have to pull a fuse to disable it.
My apolgies, that's how I meant to explain it. Damn I wonder what fuse it is .
Old 05-10-18, 09:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know of any way to disable the active sound controll.

Which after market exhaust system did you get?

Originally Posted by Xzria
Is there a way to turn off the forced induction sound from the engine that comes into the cabin in sport plus? I have an after market exhaust and only wanna listen to that. Not two different sounds.
Old 05-10-18, 09:51 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I don't know of any way to disable the active sound controll.

Which after market exhaust system did you get?
I ended up getting the GtHaus! Damn I'd pretty much have to get a new intake or unplug something?
Old 05-11-18, 01:34 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Nice. I remembered watching YouTube videos on GtHaus vs Borla before I went with Borla. GtHaus as I recall is much louder vs Borla!!! I mean Borla is plenty loud for me. I can't imagine any louder....bc I'll probably get banned from my HOA!!! LOL.

Is there a fuse one can pull to disable the fake active sound?

Originally Posted by Xzria
I ended up getting the GtHaus! Damn I'd pretty much have to get a new intake or unplug something?
Old 05-11-18, 02:09 AM
Xzria
Driver

Nice. I remembered watching YouTube videos on GtHaus vs Borla before I went with Borla. GtHaus as I recall is much louder vs Borla!!! I mean Borla is plenty loud for me. I can't imagine any louder....bc I'll probably get banned from my HOA!!! LOL.

Thats what I want to know, Because honestly I don't really like it with the added the exhaust I have. It's two different sounds and I'd rather hear my exhaust
Old 05-11-18, 08:12 AM
kluces
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does your Borla sound like?

I'm entertaining getting the Borla too, do you have a video w/ sound of your exhaust?
Old 05-11-18, 08:13 AM
2hvy4grvty
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like two different sounds because it is two different sounds. Piped in is the intake sound I think.

In general intake is for in cabin sound. Exhaust is for outside people behind you.
Old 05-11-18, 09:10 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Hmmm, didn't know there was such a thing as "Fake Active Sound" whatsoever?

Guess that's something I'll have to experience myself when/if the Armitryx goes thru.
Old 05-11-18, 10:52 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by 2hvy4grvty
It sounds like two different sounds because it is two different sounds. Piped in is the intake sound I think.

In general intake is for in cabin sound. Exhaust is for outside people behind you.
Yes, it is nduction noise from the cold air intake box piped into the cabin that has been amplified. In sport mode, there is no additional noise piped in, but still the induction noise sound is pretty loud.

Case in point, it is a high-revving engine and it will scream at high revs as the engine makes its own noise while the exhaust makes it own noise. At high rpm, both of them are audible. On my other car, I have Injen CAI and Greddy SP2 exhaust. From 6000 - 8400 rpm, you can hear both of them very loudly when it gets into "lift" (as in high lift cam).
Old 05-11-18, 03:08 PM
weswork
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny, I have had the GT Haus exhaust on my car for a while and don’t notice the “enhanced” noise when in sport mode at all. Even when I have the valves closed. I am fairly certain my installers didn’t disable or unplug anything.
Old 05-11-18, 08:37 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the borla and honestly didnt really notice the "2nd noise" , rcf engine is loud, you should want to hear both noises lol
Old 05-12-18, 05:02 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

X2.

Many times if I'm in the fast lane (two lanes going on the same directions) taking off in M Sports+ mode, I noticed the car to my right tend to go toward the extreme right side and often onto the shoulder as I speed up. I guess the Borla EXHAUST SYSTEM is LOUD and scares people nearby!!! LOL.

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
I have the borla and honestly didnt really notice the "2nd noise" , rcf engine is loud, you should want to hear both noises lol
Old 05-12-18, 03:20 PM
ct6978
Intermediate

Received 172 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Hmmm, didn't know there was such a thing as "Fake Active Sound" whatsoever?

Guess that's something I'll have to experience myself when/if the Armitryx goes thru.
When you select Sport S+ (vs plain Sport or any other drive setting) there's a sound "enhancing' system that comes on, ASC...try it some time, switch between Sport S and Sport S+, its louder, but its artificially enhanced.

This is different than the intake sound you get when it opens at a higher RPM...

From Lexus press material, by way of Forum member dchar:

The sound blasting from the RC F’s quad stacked tailpipes is sure to turn heads and raise pulse rates. Yet, Lexus also had to design the cabin to be quiet enough to enable enjoyment of the standard premium sound system or sonically stunning Mark Levinson® Premium Surround Sound system.

How could RC F drivers enjoy both? The answer is Active Sound Control (ASC), which lets the driver control enhanced exhaust, intake and mechanical sounds within the cabin. Specifically, Lexus sought to approximate the aural experience provided by the Lexus LFA, which issued some of the most stirring mechanical intake and exhaust notes of any supercar. Although LFA V10 engine revs to 9,000 rpm and RC F’s V8 to 7,100 rpm, the engineers have come close.

An electronic control unit mounted beneath the instrument panel takes input from engine sounds, including varying engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position and generates augmented sound through an actuator. It is entirely separate from audio system, so there’s no reduction in music fidelity.

Most importantly is the driver controls ASC. It’s activated only in SPORT S+ mode, not Eco, Normal and SPORT S modes. And when it’s on, ASC blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio.

At engine speeds up to 3,000 rpm, ASC issues a steady tone of low and deep sounds.
As revs rise, the tone transforms into a higher-pitched note that blends with the engine’s mechanical sounds, culminating in a free-soaring sound beyond 6,000 rpm.

Last edited by ct6978; 05-12-18 at 03:26 PM.