RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Transmission broken on 5k RCF

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-18, 05:34 PM
DannyRCF
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission broken on 5k RCF

Transmission is absolutely gone on "brand new" '15 RCF with only 5k miles on the odometer. No abuse, no performance upgrades, meticulously maintained and serviced, with only 5k miles. Only thing on the car is an Armytrix exhaust for which the valves dont close (but thats an issue for another day). Needless to say I am pretty upset and a bit pissed off. This isn't a problem I should be having with this car until I hit at least 30K.

Anyways, wish me luck with this. Car is still under factory warranty but I'm sure they'll find a way to try and make me pay for the problem I should not be having. Any advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny

Last edited by DannyRCF; 05-26-18 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-26-18, 05:41 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyRCF
Transmission is absolutely gone on "brand new" '15 RCF with only 5k miles on the odometer. No abuse, no performance upgrades, meticulously maintained and serviced, with only 5k miles. Only thing on the car is an Armytrix exhaust for which the valves dont close (but thats an issue for another day). Needless to say I am pretty upset and a bit pissed off. This isn't a problem I should be having with this car until I hit at least 30K.

Anyways, wish me luck with this. Car is still under factory warranty but I'm sure they'll find a way to try and make me pay for the problem I should not be having. Any advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Danny
Uhh I would fight for that warranty. Ask to speak to the manager and if it doesn't get resolved, tell them you're going to corporate. That is something they should be taking care of for sure. Im surprised your transmission went out like that, I drive my car like a maniac constantly shifting back and forth from auto to manual and using paddle shifting all the damn time. I haven't once had an issue but I hope you get yours dealt with. Good luck!
Old 05-26-18, 06:30 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

WOW, I can't believe that especially after only 5K miles! My 15' just hit 5K & I've never had any issues up to now, hopefully they'll honor your warranty & take care of it. That has to be a Fluke, I've never heard of something like this on the RCF with that low of miles. GL & keep us informed
Old 05-26-18, 07:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,006 Likes on 2,427 Posts

I think you're dead wrong about having an issue getting this fixed. With a 72K powertrain warranty and well under 60 months in service, there won't be many questions at all. No company makes 100% perfect products. Not Lexus, and not Aisin. You got a bad one. It's not time for a bad attitude yet, just get it fixed, under warranty at no cost to you.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (05-28-18)
Old 05-26-18, 07:24 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah Why do you not think they won't fix it under warranty? Please find out if they can and come report back. If you have questions or anything ask us! I think they will honor your warranty even with your exhaust! You may have to call corporate! I also wonder how my tranny will put up with the abuse I give it, I think You may have just gotten a bad one. Good luck man I hope everything works out
Old 05-26-18, 07:30 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Very shocking. It would be fixed under warranty. It is not like a manual transmission where powershifting results broken synchros etc. It is an auto so there is no chance of abuse.
Old 05-26-18, 07:47 PM
DannyRCF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
I think you're dead wrong about having an issue getting this fixed. With a 72K powertrain warranty and well under 60 months in service, there won't be many questions at all. No company makes 100% perfect products. Not Lexus, and not Aisin. You got a bad one. It's not time for a bad attitude yet, just get it fixed, under warranty at no cost to you.
Hope you're right about the warranty man. I really love the car and already miss it. You have any idea when they'll be able to put the car back together?

Old 05-27-18, 03:05 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Please keep us posted on this.

I have confidence that Lexus will make it right for you.

Not​ that it matters......are you the first original owner? How many miles on the odo when you took delivery and when?

Hope you're right about the warranty man. I really love the car and already miss it. You have any idea when they'll be able to put the car back together?

Old 05-27-18, 08:58 AM
mr2dave
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I was going to say what a few others had said and you will be fully covered.

You have a brand new Lexus with a major failure, Lexus will treat you right so give them a chance.
Old 05-27-18, 11:56 AM
kizzzm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks,
Danny

Just curious on what you mean by gone? Is it not shifting into gear anymore, just goes to first and slips like crazy going into other gears? Just curious to see what symptoms to look for if I have issues. Thanks.
Old 05-27-18, 01:30 PM
DannyRCF
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kizzzm

Just curious on what you mean by gone? Is it not shifting into gear anymore, just goes to first and slips like crazy going into other gears? Just curious to see what symptoms to look for if I have issues. Thanks.

The car wont go into reverse, first gear is pretty much non-existent. The RPMs build up but the speed doesnt. Also when I let off the gas at about 2k RPM the car shakes violently. I brought the car in with exactly 5525 miles on the odometer. I purchased the car about 4 months ago with 3800 miles on the odometer. Symptoms would be a loud metallic breaking noise and the car not working LOL.

Old 05-28-18, 01:29 AM
isfdude
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

That’s a first seeing an RCF needing a transmission. It might have just been a bad build. I’m more than sure they will take care of you and replace it ASAP for free under warranty.
Old 05-28-18, 07:13 AM
Weapon F

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

So your not original owner and don't know how car was treated during it's first 3800 miles? With that being said it's most likely bad trans its rare occurrence for Lexus vehicles but they do occur. So why would you post up tread making it sound as if Lexus has not addressed issue? i can understand being annoyed but give then opportunity to address the problem first.

I should Know back in 2010 I had problems with Left AFS Headlight on my 2008 IS350, they changed head lights 3 times, ecu 3 times, wiring harnesses twice as well as as other parts they even flu in engineer from west coast to try and fix car with no success. After that last attempt failed my IS350 was lemoned by Lexus. When I informed Corp that I had F sports part on cars some installed ( Exhaust, springs, etc) when brand new others added after I received car. I asked corp would I be compensated for those parts. The engineers in Japan authorised refund for all F sport parts as well. And to their credit the service manger sat in with me during our call to Corp and help facilitate lemon process and refunding of F sport parts. I was told the car was being shipped back to Japan to figure out what caused failure to occur and they wanted car as is. Now this process took about 6 months. My dealership kept me in loop they worked with me during this process I had loaners when ever my car was at dealership. Was it annoying at time yes but problem was being addressed and that's what matters. In end it worked out, i pick up 2011 ISF that i still have today with 90k on it FBO, Tuned and going strong.

So give them opportunity to fix your transmission first., with tranny failing so early I would think they want to see what caused it to fail.
Old 05-28-18, 05:06 PM
DannyRCF
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all your input and I am optimistic now Lexus will have this resolved for me. However the dealer did mention that they wont cover "abuse". That's a pretty vague term in my opinion, but one I am willing to dispute with the dealer if any issues come up with them deciding not to honor their warranty. If the quote by Chazz Michael Michaels in my posts doesn't infer how I feel about this car then I'll elaborate a bit about my frustration with this situation. This RCF is not only the first sports car I own, but the first car I have ever purchased. Getting this RCF was my motivation at work, school, and general financial success. I wont say I sacrificed much, but I was very scrupulous of my finances for the past few years in order to get it. This RCF is honestly not some tool I use to get around, but a treat I give myself on the weekends. Not sure if this makes any sense, but the point is, I really enjoy this car, and being without it because of an issue I shouldn't be having and didn't cause sucks. Anyways, I am hoping to hear back from the guys at Lexus this week and hopefully I'll get it back by next weekend.

Thanks,

Old 05-29-18, 09:14 AM
BLexodus
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Agree with others, unless there is something we don't know (ex: its a salvage-theft-flood car) Lexus will cover this.

Quick Reply: Transmission broken on 5k RCF