RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealer won't honor warranty due to aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 12:09 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Just throwing this out there. Hearing people with CEL after exhaust install. Post from way back when, may be relevant. Joe Z is knowledgeable, heck he made a catback for this car. Could be the wires being too twisted on the sensor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...i-exhaust.html

Good luck, got me all scarrred to put on an exhaust now...
Old 08-21-18, 09:00 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BAD4DR

Here’s the list of things that the modified exhaust triggered from that code on my car.

I installed my Invidia exhaust and about a month later I got this same exact code. It has to be because of the exhaust. Some days it will go away and some weeks it stays on. 100% your fault and not a factory issue. Take a look at all the possible errors.
Yeah we are in the same boat. What did you end up doing? Based on the conditions stated here it could be an exhaust leak or O2 sensor too hot, besides the cat problems. I don't think there is much that can really go wrong with a catalytic convertor unless it is getting too much back pressure so I really doubt that is the issue.
Old 08-21-18, 09:06 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Just throwing this out there. Hearing people with CEL after exhaust install. Post from way back when, may be relevant. Joe Z is knowledgeable, heck he made a catback for this car. Could be the wires being too twisted on the sensor.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...i-exhaust.html

Good luck, got me all scarrred to put on an exhaust now...
That is good info, thanks. I have the JoeZ exhaust, ironically. I'll have the leak and wire twist issue checked and go from there. So is JoeZ a guy on the forum or a vendor or...?
Old 08-21-18, 11:24 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

^^^^JoeZ used to be a sponsor and a very prolific member, over 12K posts. But, he hasn't posted here for 2 years now. I believe he's still active over on facebook. Since I don't do social media, I really don't know.

He is one member I really miss

Lou
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-24-18)
Old 08-22-18, 09:04 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had my Joe Z exhaust installed by my Lexus dealer back in May of 2016 with 10,000 miles on. Now with 31,000 miles no CEL, which is a good thing because in New York we have yearly inspection and with a CEL no inspection ! I did keep my old system just in case.
Old 07-26-19, 03:21 PM
RaulTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Were you able to resolve your problem? I also have an Invidia and I'm getting a P0420 code. I changed the crush gaskets already, but the code came back after a few hundred miles. Wondering how did it go for you.
Old 07-26-19, 03:32 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,476 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Originally Posted by RaulTX
Were you able to resolve your problem? I also have an Invidia and I'm getting a P0420 code. I changed the crush gaskets already, but the code came back after a few hundred miles. Wondering how did it go for you.
Really odd. I have had my Invidia full catback for 4 months now and it has been nothing, but perfect. Check your installation as it might be a leak somewhere.
Old 07-28-19, 09:02 AM
2Squared
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Have wonder if those experiencing exhaust CEL didn’t disconnect the O2 sensor under the door sill before removing them from the exhaust resulting in damage to the wiring. I’ve put over 19k mile on the Apexi catback on my RCF without issue.
Old 07-29-19, 10:53 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

I ended up installing O2 sensor extenders. That solved the CEL and no impact that I can tell to performance, i.e. 0 - 60 time. It was a oddball kind of issue. Intermittent CEL, much less in the cold weather, much more in hot. And only one side, although I installed the extenders on both.
Old 07-29-19, 10:57 AM
RaulTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I was getting ready to take my car to the dealer and have them diagnose/fix the problem even if out of pocket, but the extenders also sound like a viable option. Where did you get them from (any specific part numbers)?

Thanks again!
Old 07-31-19, 06:30 PM
CraigMak
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
^^^ I've had half a dozen or so warranty services on mine over the last 3 years, all of which were with the JoeZ exhaust and probably more than half those with the apexi throttle controller. For the most part all the lexus guys said was how awesome the car sounded - I did have one tech tell me that he thought lexus would deny warranty service on the ECU should it fail because I had installed the throttle controller, but that is the only comment I've had up until now. Still waiting to hear back from the lexus guys on the cat.
You've had 6 or 7 things fixed on your car in 3 years? I thought the point of buying a Lexus was that they are reliable. What kind of stuff are you going into the shop for?
Old 07-31-19, 08:16 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

^^^^I sold my 2008 ISF last month. It was an FBO car. I had it for 10 years, bought it new. Never had a warranty issue. In a way I was reluctant to sell the car, but I wanted to update. I stayed with Lexus and now drive an LC.

Lou
Old 08-01-19, 11:46 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

gas cap not sealing (CEL), drivers seat lumbar support quit working, the CEL I mentioned in the initial post, they over-filled the oil on the first free oil change. That's all I can remember.
Old 08-01-19, 11:54 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

I would advise being careful if you buy O2 bung extenders. If you look at area around the bung, it's a restricted space, not a ton of room. I went with these:

Vibrant 11619 J-Style Oxygen Sensor Restrictor Fitting with Adjustable Gas Flow Inserts

Available on Amazon. I borrowed an O2 sensor wrench from AutoZone, and it was not a difficult job to get these in. Had to do some minimal bending of heat shielding to get them in place where they are not hanging or exposed below the tubes. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
RaulTX (08-02-19)

Quick Reply: Dealer won't honor warranty due to aftermarket exhaust