RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dealer won't honor warranty due to aftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 07:41 PM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Dealer won't honor warranty due to aftermarket exhaust

2015 RC F with Joe Z exhaust, has been on the car almost since I bought it. About a year to 18 months after I had the Joe Z installed, I got a CEL for a failed catalytic convertor on one side of the V8. Dealer honored warranty and replaced the cat. Now roughly another year or so I have the same problem and dealer says they won't replace the cat again even though I'm well within the warranty for the emissions system. The service manager is telling me that the mid pipe on the Joe Z does not have the secondary cat on it, as the OEM exhaust does, and therefore the back-pressure is low and causing the cat failure. Sounds like BS to me, I haven't heard anything about this from others on this forum. Seems to me if that were the case then would have the same problem on both sides of the engine. Thoughts? Suggestions? My plan right now is to tell the service manager I want to talk to his boss or someone from Lexus.
Old 06-04-18, 08:46 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

WOW, GL with that cause i'd imagine they probably have a Good case! Though it SUCKS, Really Hard to beat the Dealership! JMO
Old 06-04-18, 09:26 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

I guess at this point you have nothing to lose and may be worth escalating it. But seems like they would have a good case in not covering it because you did 'alter' the exhaust system. Would be hard for them to cover it through warranty.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-18, 09:47 PM
kizzzm
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This also depends on how often you go back to the dealer for service. They probably hooked you up the first time and if you never go back they probably decided not to cover it this time.
Old 06-04-18, 11:03 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

^^^^Are you sure it's the cat and not one of the sensors? What's the code?

BTW, the dealer is FOS

Lou
Old 06-05-18, 06:32 AM
DT2k
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

CALL 1-800-25-LEXUS and talk to customer service and tell them the situation. They may help you out.
Old 06-05-18, 06:42 AM
DT2k
Driver

Originally Posted by kitabel
Interesting dilemma.
If you don't argue, you get nothing.
If you annoy them too much, they'll tell you not to bring the car back.
But they can't do that? Sure they can, they just schedule your appointments for 2019 until you get the message.

w/r/t " talk to customer service and tell them the situation ":
"Hi, I'm having a warranty problem with my exhaust system. I modified it, and the dealer says he won't fix it".
(click)
dude I am a service advisor at lexus and trust me so many people call that 1800# and get free ****. and it doesn't matter if he has an exhaust or not.
Old 06-05-18, 06:53 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Hello,

I have a question for you (DT2K). I currently have a Borla exhaust system (the OEM two secondary cats are gone). I'm taking my RCF in for the fuel railing pump recall. Will the Lexus dealership mark on the Lexus dealership computer system that I have an aftermarket Borla exhaust system? So far I have nothing wrong with my RCF, knock on wood.

What do you think? Should I take the time to RESTORE my OEM exhaust system before I take it in for the recall? Thanks

Originally Posted by DT2k
dude I am a service advisor at lexus and trust me so many people call that 1800# and get free ****. and it doesn't matter if he has an exhaust or not.
Old 06-05-18, 07:13 AM
DT2k
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Hello,

I have a question for you (DT2K). I currently have a Borla exhaust system (the OEM two secondary cats are gone). I'm taking my RCF in for the fuel railing pump recall. Will the Lexus dealership mark on the Lexus dealership computer system that I have an aftermarket Borla exhaust system? So far I have nothing wrong with my RCF, knock on wood.

What do you think? Should I take the time to RESTORE my OEM exhaust system before I take it in for the recall? Thanks
I guess it all depends on the dealership. I know for us we wouldn't mark it. I wouldn't worry about it to much they still have to do the recall anyways. we have a lot of RCF and ISF that come in with aftermarket parts and we don't worry about it much.
Old 06-05-18, 09:48 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like an excuse to get some ppe headers.
#upgrade!
Old 06-05-18, 10:05 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by GetKinetic
Sounds like an excuse to get some ppe headers.
#upgrade!
Or at least an ECU tune which will delete the CEL due to the catalytic converter (and keep the stock file in case you need to go back to the service center).
Old 06-05-18, 10:05 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

If you modify your car you do take a risk of denial of warranty. That IMHO is one of the risks of modifications. Even if the modifications did not cause the failure.

Based on personal experience if you complain loud enough and go high enough you may get it fixed again. The next time it goes out? Who knows.
Old 06-05-18, 10:43 AM
Fysisist
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
Interesting dilemma.
If you don't argue, you get nothing.
If you annoy them too much, they'll tell you not to bring the car back.
But they can't do that? Sure they can, they just schedule your appointments for 2019 until you get the message.

w/r/t " talk to customer service and tell them the situation ":
"Hi, I'm having a warranty problem with my exhaust system. I modified it, and the dealer says he won't fix it".
(click)
I give less than a ***** about the dealership. I can go somewhere else and I have never liked the service their anyway. Going to this dealer is strictly a matter of convenience for the warranty work. They seem to operate on the principle that Lexus owners never open the hood of the car and wouldn't know what they were looking at even if they did.

In any case, the service manager suggested I get a "piggyback ECU" which would have a map for the higher flow of the exhaust, intake, etc. and would therefore tell the locked-down lexus ECU that everything is hunky-dorry. Seems like a good idea except I can find nothing like that for the RCF or ISF.

Last edited by Fysisist; 06-05-18 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-05-18, 11:23 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,917 Likes on 1,352 Posts

^^^^Aint no such thing. Again, your dealer is talking BS. Again, can you answer the question I asked in #5 above. And do you realize the dealer has now told you two things? First the cat needs to be replaced, now it doesn't.

Lou
Old 06-05-18, 01:47 PM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Fysisist
In any case, the service manager suggested I get a "piggyback ECU" which would have a map for the higher flow of the exhaust, intake, etc. and would therefore tell the locked-down lexus ECU that everything is hunky-dorry. Seems like a good idea except I can find nothing like that for the RCF or ISF.
There is no piggyback ECU available for the RC-F that I'm aware of but as noted in my previous post, you can have your ECU tuned via an OBD plug-and-play unit.

One of the forum sponsors (RR Racing) has a tune available for the RC-F that will remove all future CEL related to the bad catalytic converter: http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-L...rcftune001.htm

Quick Reply: Dealer won't honor warranty due to aftermarket exhaust