RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus OEM TPMS vs a tire install shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-18, 09:57 AM
Raptor061
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lexus OEM TPMS vs a tire install shop

Anyone who bought new aftermarket rims on here, did you guys go with the oem from Lexus for the RCF or did you go with whatever tire shop mounted and balance your new wheels? And if the shop is better, or having the dealearship do it. Any responses appreciated, thanks!
Old 06-19-18, 01:37 PM
08sgmis350
Advanced

Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

I bought another set of OEM TPMS sensors for the aftermarket wheels. Buy preowned one from ebay. They worked great for me and it comes with 60days warranty. Search PMV-C010 TPMS sensors in ebay. I bought it for $75. I always go to America's Tire because they have TPMS sensor programmer. They programmed mine and works great.
Old 06-20-18, 02:43 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Aftermarket TPMS

Just went thru this issue with the new wheels and tires I mounted last month. Not gonna slam anyone here, but please go with OEM Sensors!
**PM me if you want all the details.
Old 06-20-18, 03:18 PM
Raptor061
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Just went thru this issue with the new wheels and tires I mounted last month. Not gonna slam anyone here, but please go with OEM Sensors!
**PM me if you want all the details.
yes I went with the oem, I did research and read that people have problems with non oem ones. If you got this car, it was expected that nothings cheap right ?
Old 06-20-18, 05:51 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes. I too went with used sensors. Tire light on, gf took car to dealer for other work and they wouldn’t release car with the light on. She played dumb. The replacement wheels were another set of factory wheels I got without sensors. Got replacement set of sesnsors here cheap. Dealer couldn’t figure out the problem for a week. End up finding sensors were bad (2 batteries were low, appx 3-5 year life expectancy) and they replaced all four under warranty. Gotta love Lexus customer care! Obviously, this doesn’t work with aftermarket wheels.
Old 06-20-18, 08:02 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I've been running VDO sensors on my ISF with RCF wheels for close to 3 years now. No Issues with them

Lou
The following users liked this post:
Mingofish (06-20-18)
Old 06-21-18, 05:32 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool VDO Settings

The Issue: Believe it or not, there is ALOT more to it than just slapping on new wheels with aftermarket sensors. The ones I got from shop who mounted my tires on new 20" wheels were subsequently found to have come from a Bad Batch- which required tons of fixing. These were also VDO. Im not slamming them at all, it was just poor luck for all those who had this lot.

The Fix - The Wheel Group programmed a new set for me and mailed them out asap. What folks need to know is that they absolutely must be programmed BY WHEEL too! (Left & Right, Front & Back!) This was sent to me via email- along with the YouTube Link:

"Gunny,
It looks like Lexus got a little tricky with their new gen sensors. There is designated programming for the Left and Right side of the vehicle. After I program new sensors, JDM vehicles require another step for sensors to communicate properly with the ECU. I have marked on the boxes which is which. Though we are doing this for you, the way it works is that you need a tool to go around and scan all 4 sensors. After the new sensor information has been picked up by the tool, you’ll need to plug in the tool to the OBDII port and upload this new information into the ECU. You'll need to be careful and make sure the sensors are installed on the proper locations on your vehicle. If not the pressures may not show up on the dash"

Luckily, they had a new Programming Tool that is NOT even out on market yet, and is able to read the coding that Lexus truly does NOT want us all to know! (He referred to this in the email and showed me a pic of the Tool. Just looked and could not find it anywhere online!) Though its not like rebuilding a transmission, I just wouldnt want folks thinking its as simple as tossing some aftermarket sensors inside their expensive new wheels. My experience found VDO a great alternative to the outrageous OEM Sensors. Then again, if you think its truly worth the effort-remove the OEM Sensors from your Stock Wheels and use them inside your new ones!

Question for the group
- Is there any true diference between having TPMS valve stems aluminum or rubber?
Old 11-15-21, 12:02 PM
Amiez
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket TPMS vs OEM

Originally Posted by Raptor061
Anyone who bought new aftermarket rims on here, did you guys go with the oem from Lexus for the RCF or did you go with whatever tire shop mounted and balance your new wheels? And if the shop is better, or having the dealearship do it. Any responses appreciated, thanks!
I was given my father-in-law's 2015 RX350, with only 12,239 miles, as he was no longer able to drive.

FYI: We also moved from out of town; I did some research and chose a new mechanic based on good reviews.

As soon as I got the RX350 I took it in for new tires. The mechanic recommended and ordered Nokian All Weather tires. I ordered new wheels and had them delivered to the mechanic.

Before working on my car the new mechanic told me, "...our "TPMS won't work with the new tires..." I trusted their work was reputable. The universal TPMS cost $185 + labor.

Afterwards, my brother advised that TPMS sensors are specific to the make model and year of the vehicle - they are NOT specific the tires. My husband didn't believe it when I told him.

Today I called our former mechanic; he advised that if the TPMS are still good the mechanic should always install OEM TPMS - not the aftermarket. The mechanic should have taken them from the RX350 and installed the OEM TPMS onto the new tires then recalibrated for each wheel.

Needless to say, OEM are always recommended unless they need a new battery then replace.

We're still looking for a new mechanic.

Theresa