RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seat wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18 | 02:28 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

I have 28k miles on my car and have the same exact problem. I have the red interior. I am hoping the dealership will be doing something about my car when I take it in for the next service.
Old 12-05-18 | 11:17 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Is this normal wear? Can it be fixed? This is the second RC F that I've seen this on. I am working with the seller for compensation, but not sure what my options are on repairing, or do I have to just live with it? My 7 day grace period ends tomorrow and I'm looking for an idea on what I should expect in compensation. It may not look like much, but honestly, if they had shown this and all the other damages properly, I wouldn't have pursued this car. But it's here now and the damages are minor, mostly rock chips, a small quarter size dent in the rear bumper, door sill gouge, missing all the trunk tools and owners manuals. I talked to them yesterday and they told me to send them pictures of the undisclosed damage and they would review for compensation. I was told the manuals are online - they won't provide hard copies and that they provide a fix a flat kit, so they won't provide or compensate for no tools. All minor, but I find it frustrating to buy a car of level and not have the items it should and have undisclosed damages. Their attitude has me about 50/50 on telling to just come get the car. We will see what they come back with on the compensation. The issues are mostly minor and cosmetic and I really like the car, but I'm a stubborn *** and if I'm not treated fairly, I will walk. There are plenty more out there wanting my $.

Someone please let us know if your dealership pays for this seat repair since many of us have that same exact worn out area on our cars. Or will this be repaired by the dealership under warranty if only within a certain time period?
Old 12-05-18 | 11:47 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob67
Someone please let us know if your dealership pays for this seat repair since many of us have that same exact worn out area on our cars. Or will this be repaired by the dealership under warranty if only within a certain time period?
I did not end up buying that one, too many issues. The one I bought has 18k miles now and the seats are in great condition. Not sure why some fail and some don't? Now that I'm aware it could happen, I am cautious about how I get in and of the car. Hopefully, the failures are covered by Lexus.
Old 12-05-18 | 11:53 AM
phobia
Driver School Candidate

I did not end up buying that one, too many issues. The one I bought has 18k miles now and the seats are in great condition. Not sure why some fail and some don't? Now that I'm aware it could happen, I am cautious about how I get in and of the car. Hopefully, the failures are covered by Lexus.
Is this wear typical for only White/Red leather seats, or do the Black seats get frayed as well? I'm in the market for either an RC-F or a '12+ IS-F and the seat wear on the lower milage RC-Fs is a bit concerning.
Old 12-05-18 | 03:46 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Hopefully, the failures are covered by Lexus.
I already stated that mine was fixed under warranty at 48k miles.
Old 12-05-18 | 04:23 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

I live in So Cal. I am going to be getting my car serviced in the next couple weeks. I will bring this up to the service department. I will update soon as I get news on this.
Old 12-05-18 | 05:14 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I was wrong, it was at 49,200 miles and 50368 miles. They recovered the back at 49,200 and had to order the seat bottom which came in later.

Old 12-05-18 | 05:35 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

That seat wear is due to how you get in and out of the car. The seats are highly bolstered and if you aren't mindful and contort when entering and exiting the seat you will rub and wear it down. Mine is 28k and 3 years old with no sign of wear. You can't rub over the area day in and day out and not exprect it to wear. Everything wears down.

Good luck with getting repaired. If they do it's purely out of goodwill. It's not a defect.
Old 12-05-18 | 05:40 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I don't deny that the seat wear is preventable. Mine started wearing well before 20k miles. It has shown no signs of wearing at all so far since I had it repaired. But I also try not to rub on it. I have put 14k miles on the car since it was repaired.

The dealership gets paid from Lexus for warranty work. My bill was $2800. The dealership wouldn't have done it out of goodwill. Lexus likely wouldn't have paid the dealership out of goodwill either. The dealership had to get verification from corporate before they could do the repair under warranty.
Old 12-05-18 | 05:45 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Davew77
It has shown no signs of wearing at all so far since I had it repaired. But I also try not to rub on it. I have put 14k miles on the car since it was repaired.
That's the point. I could tell early on if I was not careful and being cognizant and taking care of my seats, they would wear.
Old 12-05-18 | 07:26 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LXSDO
That's the point. I could tell early on if I was not careful and being cognizant and taking care of my seats, they would wear.
I get what you are saying. But I do not feel that Lexus can place the fault on the owner for early seat wear due to rubbing since Lexus does not have any type of disclaimer warning owners to use care when entering and exiting their vehicles to prevent wearing out the seat (if they do I have never seen it). Yet they clearly put a sticker on the fuel door telling the owner to use premium fuel only, for example.

Seat wear has never been an issue with any of my past vehicles and certainly not something I would be thinking would be an issue with a Lexus.

Lexus also should have allowed us the option of having the seat move back automatically when turning off the car. My 2010 RX350 had that option. as it stands, I have to use a programmed seat position to move the seat back every time I exit the vehicle to prevent wearing out the bolster of the seat.
Old 12-06-18 | 01:19 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LXSDO
That seat wear is due to how you get in and out of the car. The seats are highly bolstered and if you aren't mindful and contort when entering and exiting the seat you will rub and wear it down. Mine is 28k and 3 years old with no sign of wear. You can't rub over the area day in and day out and not exprect it to wear. Everything wears down.

Good luck with getting repaired. If they do it's purely out of goodwill. It's not a defect.
It sucks that out of the 5 cars I own (4 cars with leather seats) my Lexus is the only car that has that wear on the seat.
The following users liked this post:
TOPHER9425 (12-07-18)
Old 12-06-18 | 04:49 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by Davew77
I get what you are saying. But I do not feel that Lexus can place the fault on the owner for early seat wear due to rubbing since Lexus does not have any type of disclaimer warning owners to use care when entering and exiting their vehicles to prevent wearing out the seat (if they do I have never seen it). Yet they clearly put a sticker on the fuel door telling the owner to use premium fuel only, for example.

Seat wear has never been an issue with any of my past vehicles and certainly not something I would be thinking would be an issue with a Lexus.

Lexus also should have allowed us the option of having the seat move back automatically when turning off the car. My 2010 RX350 had that option. as it stands, I have to use a programmed seat position to move the seat back every time I exit the vehicle to prevent wearing out the bolster of the seat.
Sure, if they had anticipated more wear in that area maybe they would beef that area but in the grand scheme of building a car I don't think they really looked into it. Price you pay for sexy seats. The RX seats aren't like that. You can't expect them to have sticker warnings for everything lol. Don't slam the door too hard. Don't kick the back of the seats. Don't redline it all the time. Avoid running over potholes ...some things you have to take upon yourself can't expect them to safe proof everything.
Old 12-06-18 | 04:50 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Originally Posted by yooniverse
It sucks that out of the 5 cars I own (4 cars with leather seats) my Lexus is the only car that has that wear on the seat.
That does suck. I hope they take care of you.