RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Seeking “Warped (?)” & Two-Piece Rotors Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-18 | 07:33 PM
RaulTX
Driver School Candidate

Default Seeking “Warped (?)” & Two-Piece Rotors Opinions

I am experiencing significant brake judder after a single track day while using OEM pads (bedded-in) and rotors on my 2015 F. This is causing me to consider the option of upgrading to two-piece rotors, but I would like your opinion on the following:

(1) Has anyone dealt with uneven pad deposits after a single track day while using OEM pads and rotors? What was your experience?

(2) Would re-bedding in the pads resolve the judder?

(3) Has anyone upgraded to two-piece rotors? If so, how has your experience been?

(4) Does the improved heat dissipation with two-piece rotors translate to decreased risk of uneven pad deposition?

(5) Are there any advantages to the RacingBrake two-piece rotors over the RR Racing ones? I am concerned about the “slight pad overlap in the rear” with the RacingBrake rotors, and their recommendation against ceramic brake pads.

- RR Racing: https://www.rr-racing.com/ProductDet...K0001&CartID=1

- RacingBrake: http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/2psrtr-RGF-PKGLX-IRK-02

Thank you!
Old 07-01-18 | 07:54 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Find a nice long road without traffic and re bed, get them good and hot a couple time and give them plenty of cool down before applying again. Should help clean off the deposits. I don't have experience with 2pc rotors. I think their main purpose is to reduce weight since the hub can be made much lighter.
The following users liked this post:
RaulTX (07-01-18)
Old 07-02-18 | 05:15 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

I’ve tracked a few times on oem set up. No issues at all.
Were your rotors pretty thin to start with?
That or you happened to be on a track that is more brake demanding (lots of long straights)?

Been running RR’s griodisc set up for 1.5 years now. Prob around 12-14 track days on them at this point.
Wore through one set of front Endless pads but no other issues. It’s a solid set up.
The endless pads pads are very easy on the rotors. I’m just now starting to get a lip on the front rotors.

You will see small cracks develop in the middle of the rotor surface which is totally normal. All my track buddies with other brands of two piece rotors all have the same thing happen.

You’ll like the griodisc rotors. Go for it if track days are important to you.
Old 07-02-18 | 11:54 AM
RaulTX
Driver School Candidate

I'm glad to hear about your positive experience with the Girodisc rotors! Any low-speed noise issues from the "floating" design? Did you upgrade all four rotors, or just the fronts?

My OEM setup is actually fairly new, and I was driving a "brake-friendly" track. However, I drove my car to work daily between bed-in and track day, which I recently read may strip the transfer layer away from the rotor and make it susceptible to uneven deposits(?). In any case, I will try re-bedding first, and consider new rotors if still having problems.

Thank you!
Old 07-02-18 | 06:28 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

^^^
Raul
Both axles are griodisc.
No noise issues at all at any speeds.
The floating hat doesn’t make any noise except coming off track when the rotors cool down and they’ll “ping” as the rotors contract.
The following users liked this post:
RaulTX (07-02-18)