RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-18, 02:20 PM
winglet
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw the review yesterday. I don't know who is this guy, but just starting the video with this dirty engine and following with all this bad jokes about the car, really disappointed to me and I couldn't finish the video because no one good thing was mentioned .
I went to my garage and took the car for a short ride.......... All my bad feelings disappeared .
Old 07-16-18, 04:02 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by winglet
I saw the review yesterday. I don't know who is this guy, but just starting the video with this dirty engine and following with all this bad jokes about the car, really disappointed to me and I couldn't finish the video because no one good thing was mentioned .
I went to my garage and took the car for a short ride.......... All my bad feelings disappeared .
forreal though, the only way I could be disappointed in the RCF is if I daily an huracan or 911 turbo or anything better or as good as those cars which are basically the best cars money can buy.
Old 07-16-18, 04:07 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I know I’m going to get flack for this, but why are you guys so butthurt over Doug’s review? He is one of probably hundreds of reviews for the RCF. Why the focus on this one? He just doesn’t like the car and made that fairly clear.
Old 07-16-18, 04:13 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead
I know I’m going to get flack for this, but why are you guys so butthurt over Doug’s review? He is one of probably hundreds of reviews for the RCF. Why the focus on this one? He just doesn’t like the car and made that fairly clear.
Doug makes good reviews overall. No one here will change their opinions about their RC-Fs because of the review (unless you're just shopping for one now maybe) but most of us commonly agree on some points about how this car is misunderstood and this review just reiterates that.

To be fair, if you're going to say at the end of your video that the car is "a great deal" then you should touch up on that throughout the review. If he did that then he would've gotten most of our points across.
Old 07-16-18, 04:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

He is putting it out there to be scrutinized so why it should not be called out? Because, when someone only says negative things and does not give credit where it is due, it only feeds into the confirmation bias of those who want to believe the negative hype. It also feeds into the mockery we owners who spent our hard earned money face and what we experience knowing about the car much more than him. He puts titles like those to generate the most views. That is the difference between someone looking to get the most revenue vs other reviews we posted. They acknowledged the weight, but then went on to explore the positives of the car.

Doug goes by his biases and what his research shows. If he is in favor of something (like the NSX or Stinger), he would go to the end to defend it and if he is against something, he would make bull***** up and make factually inaccurate statements (he did the same when he did the LFA review and I don't want to go into those).

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-16-18 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 04:47 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Because, when someone only says negative things and does not give credit where it is due. He puts titles like those to generate the most views. He made factual and critical errors as well as made the review to make the RCF look bad. That is the difference between someone looking to get the most revenue vs other reviews we posted. They acknowledged the weight, but then went on to explore the positives of the car.

He goes by his biases. If he is in favor of something (like the NSX or Stinger), he would go to the end to defend it and if he is against something, he would make bull***** up and make factually inaccurate statements (he did the same when he did the LFA review and I don't want to go into those).
Maybe stop watching his content so you don’t generate ad revenue for him? He didn’t like the car, not a big deal. Talking about it proves that his format works and draws attention to his channel.

I personally like his videos even though I don’t agree with everything he says. I also keep in mind that he has driven everything under the sun and has more knowledge about what to look for in a car than I do. If you think he was hard on the RCF, watch his Ghibli review.
Old 07-16-18, 05:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I personally like his videos even though I don’t agree with everything he says. I also keep in mind that he has driven everything under the sun and has more knowledge about what to look for in a car than I do. If you think he was hard on the RCF, watch his Ghibli review.
Yes, I watched the Ghibli review. I did not like that review, but I liked his NSX review even less. There is a whole video made by a guy explaining how he is biased in favor.

He might have driven all of those cars, but he understands very little about their dynamic capabilities because he experiences them in a very limited way. Like I said above, you cannot drive a car on city roads for a few hours and think you know the car at its limits. He declared LFAs steering not "precise enough" when everyone on the race track praises its adaptive steering, he gave LFA an 8 in handling, but 9 to slower cars around the track like 430 Scuderia. He made jokes about Lexus putting a hood prop not realizing it was a more expensive carbon fiber hood prop and he did not know LFA had shift speed control then goes on to criticize the shift speed not knowing he was driving in one of the slower modes and had no idea where the switch was etc. I could go on, but that gives you an idea.

His scoring for RCF was OK, for the most part.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-16-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-16-18, 06:36 PM
TRANC3
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually really enjoy Doug's reviews. Are they fully comprehensive and unbiased? No! Does he test the cars to their intended extremes? No! Would I base my purchase of a car solely on his (or anyone else's for that matter) reviews? Of course not!

The internet is a treasure trove of information - and mis-information - but as with anything, you can't just take a single source as the basis to form your own opinion. Of course RC-F owners will take issue with this review, but I'd argue that amongst the web of opinions raised in this review there are some truths. It's our job as intelligent product users to take on board all the information, filter out the crap, and decide for ourselves what is right for us.

I think we would have all gone through this process when buying our RC-F's, consciously or not, and decided that it was the right car for us, despite some of it's downfalls - which EVERY car would have some of.

I don't feel the need to defend my purchase. I bought it because I like it! End of story.
Old 07-16-18, 10:11 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Another +1 here for Doug's reviews! He actually an AWESOME reviewer, and definitely my personal favorite. Does a very thorough and fair job of reviewing vehicles, and most of the time he spends DAYS in these vehicles, not hrs.
Rarely, if ever, does he take vehicles on a "track" so his reviews aren't going to be based on that. He's going off of ''streetability" for the most part on his test drives.
His RCF review was fair...and accurate. We all know that the longer you own a car, the more you learn about it (both good and bad) and I'm sure that if doug owned the RCF for a few months or more, his review would be better. For a small example, 05rolla just made a post about not knowing the F could/would drop to 2nd gear at 60mph from 8th going up a hill....and the sounds it made (stock exhaust iirc).... something you'd may or may not run across in a day or two test driver....but something all people who've owned an F for any substantial amount of time know. Was surprised that shocked him. Anyway, just a small example.
And to finish it off, yes the RCF is an EXCELLENT car for the prices used ones are going for...can't think of a car where you could get more for your money!

V.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (07-16-18)
Old 07-17-18, 09:47 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,390 Likes on 638 Posts

This was a terrible review. I met Doug about 1.5 years ago. He expressed interest in testing our Supercharged ISF and RCF... got one email from him, and then he disappeared and now simply doesn't respond.

The M4 and RCF are pretty evenly matched. Its clear that Lexus "tunes" the RCF to be a little softer and more GT vs. track oriented... BUT this is such an irrelevant point as 99% of drivers cannot take either of these cars anywhere near their limits at the track, let alone on the street. Last year some Russian dude showed up at the track with an M4 "Competition Pack" bragging about his $90k M4, how its the fastest around the Nurburgring, blah blah.... out on the track his laptimes weren't within 10 seconds of the car magazine times... and that's not that he was a terrible driver, its just the way its going to be for 99/100 who are obsessed with nitpicking the differences between M4/RCF.

Here is how I see the M4 vs. RCF decision:

Reasons to buy the RCF:

(1) You are actually buying the car rather than leasing. So you probably want to keep it longer than 2-3 years. The RCF is going to be infinitely more reliable low less expensive to maintain than an M4 in the long run.
(2) Doug rips the exhaust sound of the RCF... but stock or with an exhaust, RCF v8 sound is in another world compared to the M4. And sound is important, otherwise, there would be nothing special about Ferraris and Lambos, and we would all be driving Teslas.
(3) Lexus "tunes" the RCF to be more comfortable and softer. If you want more out of our RCF, its so easy to completely change the character of the car with a basic suspension upgrade.
(4) Buy the RCF used -- its a no-risk no-brainer. Prices are good and the car is bulletproof. I'd buy one off-warranty in a second.

Reasons to buy the M4:

(1) you worship car magazine reviews -- you read that the M4 is 1.12 sec faster at the track, and you must have it for that reason
(2) you are leasing the car anyway, and don't give a crap about long term reliability. Vast majority of M-cars are leased. I was told once by a friend who worked at a BMW dealership that its about 90% -- don't know if that's true.
(3) you prefer the M4 styling

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (07-17-18)
Old 07-17-18, 10:22 AM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RRRacing
This was a terrible review. I met Doug about 1.5 years ago. He expressed interest in testing our Supercharged ISF and RCF... got one email from him, and then he disappeared and now simply doesn't respond.

The M4 and RCF are pretty evenly matched. Its clear that Lexus "tunes" the RCF to be a little softer and more GT vs. track oriented... BUT this is such an irrelevant point as 99% of drivers cannot take either of these cars anywhere near their limits at the track, let alone on the street. Last year some Russian dude showed up at the track with an M4 "Competition Pack" bragging about his $90k M4, how its the fastest around the Nurburgring, blah blah.... out on the track his laptimes weren't within 10 seconds of the car magazine times... and that's not that he was a terrible driver, its just the way its going to be for 99/100 who are obsessed with nitpicking the differences between M4/RCF.

Here is how I see the M4 vs. RCF decision:

Reasons to buy the RCF:

(1) You are actually buying the car rather than leasing. So you probably want to keep it longer than 2-3 years. The RCF is going to be infinitely more reliable low less expensive to maintain than an M4 in the long run.
(2) Doug rips the exhaust sound of the RCF... but stock or with an exhaust, RCF v8 sound is in another world compared to the M4. And sound is important, otherwise, there would be nothing special about Ferraris and Lambos, and we would all be driving Teslas.
(3) Lexus "tunes" the RCF to be more comfortable and softer. If you want more out of our RCF, its so easy to completely change the character of the car with a basic suspension upgrade.
(4) Buy the RCF used -- its a no-risk no-brainer. Prices are good and the car is bulletproof. I'd buy one off-warranty in a second.

Reasons to buy the M4:

(1) you worship car magazine reviews -- you read that the M4 is 1.12 sec faster at the track, and you must have it for that reason
(2) you are leasing the car anyway, and don't give a crap about long term reliability. Vast majority of M-cars are leased. I was told once by a friend who worked at a BMW dealership that its about 90% -- don't know if that's true.
(3) you prefer the M4 styling

Rafi
It sounds like you haven’t driven an M4? I have driven the M3 and the M4 convertible. While the car has one of the worst exhaust notes of all time, it does drive great. It feels light on its feet, lively steering, and you feel connected to the car. That is what BMW is good at.

The M4 feels faster than tha RCF because it is and you can feel that on the street. Just look at the quarter mile numbers. Quote from Car and Driver, “The RC F is able to dispatch the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds at 110.3 mph. Comparatively, the M4 does the deed in 12.2 seconds at 117.8 mph.” That is speed you can feel on the road, so I disagree with you saying that the performance can’t be used on the street.

The M4 has a loud ride, rough suspension, and sounds terrible. That is where the RCF destroys the M4, but saying they are on the same performance level isn’t accurate.
Old 07-17-18, 10:22 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Well said, Rafi. Such good points from a real tuning company.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-17-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 10:27 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

In a head to head comparison with Randy Pobst, the cars were 3/10th apart from each other with similar results in the 1/4 mile. I have driven both cars and other than midrange turbo torque where you feel a significant difference part-throttle especially in high gear/low engine load scenarios whereas, I have to keep my RCF screaming in low gears to get maximum instantaneous response. When going all-out to redline, a few tenths are difficult to tell apart especially when you are not launching and already rolling in high rpms on roads like a race track etc.

It sounds like you haven’t driven an M4? I have driven the M3 and the M4 convertible. While the car has one of the worst exhaust notes of all time, it does drive great. It feels light on its feet, lively steering, and you feel connected to the car. That is what BMW is good at.

The M4 feels faster than tha RCF because it is and you can feel that on the street. Just look at the quarter mile numbers. Quote from Car and Driver, “The RC F is able to dispatch the quarter mile in 12.9 seconds at 110.3 mph. Comparatively, the M4 does the deed in 12.2 seconds at 117.8 mph.” That is speed you can feel on the road, so I disagree with you saying that the performance can’t be used on the street.

The M4 has a loud ride, rough suspension, and sounds terrible. That is where the RCF destroys the M4, but saying they are on the same performance level isn’t accurate.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-17-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 11:25 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,390 Likes on 638 Posts

I've driven them all, going back to the e36 M3. I have driven 458's, GT3's at the track. And BTW, I also own a 991 Carrera S

That said, even with my Porsche, I can honestly tell you that putting aside the badge, the more I drive the 911 the more I appreciate the RCF. As a car that you live with every day, enjoy, and depend on, I'd prefer the RCF any day. Of course, I never leave any of my cars stock, so to get that super precise and "connected" feel I'd install our RRR/Penske suspension, USRS bushings, and add a little noise with some exhaust/header upgrade. Basic bolt ons, totally reliable, beat the crap out of it every day coupe that you never have to worry about. One of the most striking observations I have of a tuned RCF vs. my 991S is how amazing the RCF sounds, and even though it is heavy, how connected it feels while its still a super comfortable GT cruiser. The seats in the RCF are one of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in, they are amazing.

As far as performance goes, with basic bolt ons and good tires, you can show up to any HPDE day in an RCF and be one of the fastest cars, and that includes M4's, Caymans, Camaro's, vettes, etc... assuming your driving is decent.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Last edited by RRRacing; 07-17-18 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RRRacing:
05RollaXRS (07-17-18), CAHWY128 (07-17-18)
Old 07-17-18, 04:18 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, to me it is a big deal since I was one of those people who got misled by this review 3 years ago since it made me think of Lexus' brand new sports car as a bumbling, dimwitted, obese pretentious car, which I found to be completely false once I drove it. When someone says "you should not go anywhere near a track" (read: totally incapable of handling) or "why does this car have to weigh 400 KG more than M4", Both of which are factually false statements, it completely makes his focal point of criticism (which is essentially these two points) completely void. All while knowing the average driver cannot even reach 8/10th of the potential limit of RCF's highest capabilities even with the hardest effort. 400 KG or 900 lbs is a completely and enormous difference in weight and his unfair statement to misinform the naïve and gullible viewers, is completely inexcusable. The fact that he did not even realize that is does not "feel" 900 lbs heavier than the M4 while driving, even speaks more to his poor judgement and inability to question his own facts through experiences.
To be clear, this is the first time I've seen Chris' video on the RC F.*
And* even if one asks "why does this car have to weigh 400 lbs more than the M4?" it would still be a valid argument.

I am sure if he said such an outlandish mistake with an M car, all of the BMW world would rile against him. His whole argument hinged around these two points, which are completely false. To someone who hates the RCF, it is perfectly valid as it fits with his narrative. To someone like the rest of us, no.
I disagree.* His whole argument is what he felt and experienced while driving the car.* Mistakenly saying kg instead of lbs doesn't invalidate that the car felt heavy.* I've done a lot of international work.* Sometimes I get mixed up and say Dollars instead of Yuan, or kilometers instead of miles.* It's just a slip of the tongue.

I don't hate the RC F.* I just chose to go with another car.* I don't have to hate one car to like another.

To you, it is not a big deal, but to me Doug never made a video of why NSX is a flop or GTR is a flop purely based on the sales figures (since they both are extremely poor sellers). He never criticized the Stinger or many other sports cars for their weight, which happens to be the same or heavier than RCF.
Because it's an $80k car optioned out.* The Stinger is not in the same class.* The RC F isn't a flop because of low sales, it has low sales because it didn't meet many enthusiasts expectations.* Maybe that's the problem.* Some of us had very high expectations after the IS F.* We expected something revolutionary and it didn't quite reach our expectations.* As I've said before, that doesn't mean it's a bad car, just that a lot of us looked elsewhere.

Why single out RCF when especially additional weight was to add more reinforcements to the chassis for more rigidity?
Because other in-house tuners like the M Division can stiffen the chassis of an F30 while making the car lighter... why can't Lexus?* Answer:* they wanted to lean more luxury than sport.* That's fine, but then you lost me as a customer.

When someone calls RCF a "luxury cruiser", it applies to cars like ES350 or 550 etc. Not to cars that were tuned for hundreds of hours around the race track and happen to have respectable dynamic/handling stats (0.95g and 73 mph slalom speed) and track times.
I don't really mind what it's called.* GT coupe, Luxury Coup, Luxury Cruiser, Luxury Sports Tourer, etc...* I'm glad you are more than happy with your car.* It just wasn't what I was looking for.* *

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop