RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-18, 04:31 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
This was a terrible review. I met Doug about 1.5 years ago. He expressed interest in testing our Supercharged ISF and RCF... got one email from him, and then he disappeared and now simply doesn't respond.

The M4 and RCF are pretty evenly matched. Its clear that Lexus "tunes" the RCF to be a little softer and more GT vs. track oriented... BUT this is such an irrelevant point as 99% of drivers cannot take either of these cars anywhere near their limits at the track, let alone on the street. Last year some Russian dude showed up at the track with an M4 "Competition Pack" bragging about his $90k M4, how its the fastest around the Nurburgring, blah blah.... out on the track his laptimes weren't within 10 seconds of the car magazine times... and that's not that he was a terrible driver, its just the way its going to be for 99/100 who are obsessed with nitpicking the differences between M4/RCF.
Goes to show it's more about the driver than the car at the amateur/hobby level.

Here is how I see the M4 vs. RCF decision:

Reasons to buy the RCF:

(1) You are actually buying the car rather than leasing. So you probably want to keep it longer than 2-3 years. The RCF is going to be infinitely more reliable low less expensive to maintain than an M4 in the long run.
(2) Doug rips the exhaust sound of the RCF... but stock or with an exhaust, RCF v8 sound is in another world compared to the M4. And sound is important, otherwise, there would be nothing special about Ferraris and Lambos, and we would all be driving Teslas.
(3) Lexus "tunes" the RCF to be more comfortable and softer. If you want more out of our RCF, its so easy to completely change the character of the car with a basic suspension upgrade.
(4) Buy the RCF used -- its a no-risk no-brainer. Prices are good and the car is bulletproof. I'd buy one off-warranty in a second.
(1) Very true
(2) Doug wasn't comparing it to an M4, which sounds much much worse than the stock RC F. He was comparing it to other V8s. Remember, Doug doesn't think too highly of the F8X either. He hasn't reviewed one, but based on what he said about the older M3's, he isn't in a hurry to get his hands on an F8X.
(3) This is exactly what I've been saying.
(4) Can't argue with you there.

Reasons to buy the M4:

(1) you worship car magazine reviews -- you read that the M4 is 1.12 sec faster at the track, and you must have it for that reason
(2) you are leasing the car anyway, and don't give a crap about long term reliability. Vast majority of M-cars are leased. I was told once by a friend who worked at a BMW dealership that its about 90% -- don't know if that's true.
(3) you prefer the M4 styling

Rafi
(1) That's a little narrow minded. Not all of us went on car reviews alone
(2) True. The F8X leases very well. It doesn't make financial sense to lease when the residuals on the leases are so inflated.
(3) As a coupe, I prefer the RC F style. I actually don't particularly like the M4 stock.
(4) You're forgetting the obvious: You like how it drives. You like how deceptively toss-able it is. You love the monster torque and how easy it is to go around the track (although I personally find 3rd to be a hair too tall)

Last edited by lobuxracer; 07-19-18 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 06:43 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,401 Likes on 643 Posts

quote from Doug's website:

"It recently occurred to me that some of you people, certainly my craziest viewers and readers, actually pay attention to my opinion when it comes to purchasing automobiles. This is especially surprising to me, personally, because my friends don’t even trust my opinion when it comes to buying toothpaste."

I think we can all agree

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 07-18-18, 08:22 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I watch his reviews to see what cool options/features new cars have; his review on performance rolls off my back like water on a duck.

Y'all getting bent out of shape over some Youtuber's opinion.
Old 07-18-18, 08:45 AM
DanISFast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350

A decade ago? Yet a 2018 Mustang GT uses the same engine and would spank an M3 at the track.

The RC-F just needs a retuned engine and drop several hundred pounds to be competitive.

2018 Mustang GT spanking an M3 at the track?

The new 2018 Mustang GT with the 10spd auto is very fast, owners have been getting high 11s stock BUT the latest generation F80 M3 has put down 11.6 bone stock.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...le-bone-stock/
Old 07-18-18, 09:16 AM
cvt
Racer

Received 547 Likes on 363 Posts

Why is this thread still alive?...LOL

Doug Demuro is an "entertainer reviewer"....like Top Gear. Its all in to get laughs and entertainment first rather than "hard factual un-biased reviewing". It's crazy how there have been so many RC-F threads of people defending their purchase or their point of view (don't even get me into the whole comical ISF vs RCF threads).

You like what you like. That should be the end of it. LOL.
Old 07-18-18, 11:42 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by DanISFast
2018 Mustang GT spanking an M3 at the track?

The new 2018 Mustang GT with the 10spd auto is very fast, owners have been getting high 11s stock BUT the latest generation F80 M3 has put down 11.6 bone stock.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...le-bone-stock/
LOL, that thing is not stock. It's running 103 Octane with a tune. So basically you are saying a regular M3 is faster than a stock Comp pack M3? Nice try.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (07-18-18)
Old 07-18-18, 11:15 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Since we're talking about reviews. Here's one by Collins. The original stig on top gear. What the car can do in capable hands.
TRANC3 (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 01:18 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I don't care what they say about the Lexus performance models... the fact is this..

Your trips to the dealer will be much less than your German counter parts. I will never ever buy a brand new BMW M5 for example. It knocks the "new car" taste straight outta your mouth one year into your ownership.
bob67 (07-19-18)
Old 07-19-18, 02:22 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Since we're talking about reviews. Here's one by Collins. The original stig on top gear. What the car can do in capable hands.
https://youtu.be/6zg0Bt4Rv3U
I like Ben Collins. Great review

I also like Chris Harris. I just think Chris’ review of the RCF was already at a disadvantage as he admittedly stated in the beginning of the review that he already had high expectations which is almost always leads to disappointment.
Old 07-19-18, 06:26 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXSDO
https://youtu.be/6zg0Bt4Rv3U
I don't think anyone doubts what the RF C can do, especially in capable hands.

Originally Posted by cvt
I like Ben Collins. Great review

I also like Chris Harris. I just think Chris’ review of the RCF was already at a disadvantage as he admittedly stated in the beginning of the review that he already had high expectations which is almost always leads to disappointment.
Yet expectations are still a valid component when reviewing a car. The GT350, the ZL1, these cars had high expectations and they delivered.

Old 07-19-18, 10:40 PM
cvt
Racer

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Yet expectations are still a valid component when reviewing a car.
I agree. But to some extent it’s the same with any car isn’t it? Take for example the M3. Performance car. Better performance with each iteration by a fairly wide margin. Yet, The F80 wasn’t universally loved by critics or even the E92 crowd that missed the “rawness” of the n/a V8 ...the E46 crowd have criticisms with the E90s being too plush....Even if you make vanilla ice cream that has the best ingredients, has a better shelf life, costs less to make....simply performs the best in every way... you can’t make a blanket statement that everyone will like it.

The truth = Compared to the RCF the M3/M4 is the better performance car in terms of track and magazine performance stats
Opinion = Compared to the RCF the M3/M4 is the better car

Can’t we all just accept we like different flavors but we still love ice cream?
Old 07-20-18, 08:25 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt

I agree. But to some extent it’s the same with any car isn’t it? Take for example the M3. Performance car. Better performance with each iteration by a fairly wide margin. Yet, The F80 wasn’t universally loved by critics or even the E92 crowd that missed the “rawness” of the n/a V8 ...the E46 crowd have criticisms with the E90s being too plush....Even if you make vanilla ice cream that has the best ingredients, has a better shelf life, costs less to make....simply performs the best in every way... you can’t make a blanket statement that everyone will like it.

The truth = Compared to the RCF the M3/M4 is the better performance car in terms of track and magazine performance stats

That would be splendid, except that some people feel the need to defend/justify their love for their specific kind of ice cream.
Old 07-20-18, 09:16 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

I don't know what's worse editing job or missing review.

Old 07-20-18, 09:43 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

LOL, Doug moved to LA and started partying to much. It happens.
Old 07-20-18, 06:41 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cvt

The threshold of what is and what are not acceptable compromises in comparison with ithe trade-offs is different for many people. In the case of the RC F I think many people, including myself, didn't feel like the trade-offs were worth the compromises. Not everyone is going to feel that way.

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop