RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-18, 07:48 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cvt

I agree. But to some extent it’s the same with any car isn’t it? Take for example the M3. Performance car. Better performance with each iteration by a fairly wide margin. Yet, The F80 wasn’t universally loved by critics or even the E92 crowd that missed the “rawness” of the n/a V8 ...the E46 crowd have criticisms with the E90s being too plush....Even if you make vanilla ice cream that has the best ingredients, has a better shelf life, costs less to make....simply performs the best in every way... you can’t make a blanket statement that everyone will like it.

The truth = Compared to the RCF the M3/M4 is the better performance car in terms of track and magazine performance stats
Opinion = Compared to the RCF the M3/M4 is the better car

Can’t we all just accept we like different flavors but we still love ice cream?
Maybe to many are evaluating the RCF for performance only? I think of it as a luxury car with added performance value.

"The M3/M4 is the better car". Yes better for performance, but not better all around car.
Old 07-23-18, 03:44 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didnt watch the full video but I've grown bored with my Lexus RCF (still have it, wife now drives) and replaced it with a Limited F-150.

1. The RCF is underpowered - severely. Is it fast, yes, is it fast enough to be considered a TRUE performance car.....NO NO NO. Mustang GT with slight mods will spank our cars.
2. Infotainment is the worst ever..........singly handedly my least favorite feature.
3. Too many interior rattles and noises.
4. Too heavy
5. Looks too much like the RC350 - people say "we have the same car often - RC350 owners).

I loved it when I first got it and occasionally enjoy driving it but not enough to keep it much longer. It's gonna be for sale probably within the next year.
Old 07-23-18, 05:42 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
I didnt watch the full video but I've grown bored with my Lexus RCF (still have it, wife now drives) and replaced it with a Limited F-150.

1. The RCF is underpowered - severely. Is it fast, yes, is it fast enough to be considered a TRUE performance car.....NO NO NO. Mustang GT with slight mods will spank our cars.
2. Infotainment is the worst ever..........singly handedly my least favorite feature.
4. Too heavy
5. Looks too much like the RC350 - people say "we have the same car often - RC350 owners).

I loved it when I first got it and occasionally enjoy driving it but not enough to keep it much longer. It's gonna be for sale probably within the next year.
I have a Ford raptor trade it for a f150 before. The f150 was nice but very underpowered and felt cheap, especially the plastic on the doors. Have fun with the f150, but should of got a raptor instead !
Old 07-23-18, 10:03 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spam89
I have a Ford raptor trade it for a f150 before. The f150 was nice but very underpowered and felt cheap, especially the plastic on the doors. Have fun with the f150, but should of got a raptor instead !
I got the 2018 Limited - it's not cheap inside, it's comparable to my Lexus from a fit and finish but the technology on it blows away my Lexus RCF. I would have bought a RAPTOR but there were 2 reasons I didn't.

1. The new RAPTOR is the same engine with 50hp more and is actually slower (it's a TT V6).
2. There is a $10-$20k markup in California on the RAPTOR.
Old 07-24-18, 03:18 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

After about three years of owning the RCF, I still like it and get compliments everywhere I go (now, granted my RCF is not located in SoCal where I live, but it is in the deep south where I work. Therefore the RCF is still "rare" in that area.). I am not bored with the RCF and still brings a smile on my face every time I drive it especially with the Borla exhaust.

1. The RCF has plenty of power for what I need to do. That is a GT cruiser on the highway. I can pass MOST vehicles in my area with ease WHEN I NEEDED TO. RCF is not a "TRUE PERFORMANCE CAR" TO ME. RCF is a grand LUXURY touring cruiser with ease, comfort, and style. I have no need to race ANY MUSTANGS NOR ANY CARS OUT THERE. I don't give a CRAP.

2. Infotainment...........the ML system is excellent. Yes, there are "better systems" out there. Besides, the Borla exhaust sounds better anyways.

3. No rattles and strange noises in my RCF. This is one of the "tightest chassis" around.

4. Too heavy? Too many people are "stuck on this heaviness issue". Heck, the LC500 is "heavier". So are many other cars out there......... Yes, there are definitely lighter cars out there too!!! But for me, the RCF feels just right for a GT luxury cruiser.

5. Looks like a RC350? Looks is not everything. I can tell an RCF versus a RC350 BLINDFOLDED!!!! All I gotta do is listen to the V8 roar!!! Not my problem the RC350 owners CAN NOT TELL THEIR CARS FROM OURS (RCF)!!! I don't give a CRAP if the RC350 owners or anybody else thinks my RCF is a RC350/RC200t or whatever!!!

Yes, if you don't "love the RCF" anymore, then you should just get rid of it. I'm sure someone out there would LOVE to have your RCF!!!

4. Too heavy

The following 2 users liked this post by lexusrus:
bob67 (07-24-18), isfvss (07-24-18)
Old 07-24-18, 09:00 AM
gs400998
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

4. Too heavy

Your profile shows:
Signature2015 Ultrasonic Blue Mica 2.0 RCF
2009 Starfire Pearl IS350

2.0 Turbo is not a RC F. Do you have a RC300 F Sport? RC F is 5.0 V8
Old 07-24-18, 09:08 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400998
Your profile shows:

USB 2.0 is the name of his car's color, 2.0 is part of it and isn't relative to the engine he has.
Old 07-24-18, 10:23 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I think if people understood what a GT was, they wouldn't have bought the RCF. A GT leaves alot on the table in the performance area for the sake of luxury and comfort. In other words, its going to be heavy, but its a joy to drive on long distances. Cars are getting heavier each year, so that's the trend. The RCF is not a sports car and was never advertised as such. A Corvette or 911 comes to mind when I hear sports car. Underpowered? Not really. I don't consider a car capable of doing 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and mid 12 second quarter mile as underpowered, unless comparing it to a real sports car. Bolt on for bolt on, the Mustang is not faster than the RCF. And are we really comparing modded cars to stock? I have absolutely no rattles or strange noises and I've stiffened up my suspension. They are present in my 14 CLS550 with only 25k miles. The infotainment needs a lot of work, but the ML is worth it. Blows away the HK in the CLS. Love the ability to read text messages on the move. I would still drive the RCF simply because of the drivetrain.

I only responded to this thread again, because right now there is someone reading this and they are on the fence about the RCF. My advice is to understand what a true GT is and get your expectations aligned with reality.
Old 07-24-18, 11:01 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

My last car was a 2016 Subaru WRX STI. I consider it a true sports car. Maybe not as fast as some top tier cars but really a sports car. After a year of ownership I sold it. I am getting older and that car beat me up. I could barely walk when I got out of it. My left knee was killing me from the clutch. The ride was harsh and pounded me. I could not drive it for more than an hour or so. I loved the way the car ripped up a canyon. Stuck in traffic in that thing was torture.

I want to drive all day. I want performance and I want luxury. I get it all with my RCF. After an all day drive when I am slogging home through stop and go traffic I can relax and not be praying the trip was over like in my STI. I can drive it all day and still dust a Mustang!!! LOL

Last edited by CAHWY128; 07-24-18 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-24-18, 11:21 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by gs400998
Your profile shows:

Nope:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...ica-2-0-a.html

Lou
The following users liked this post:
konichiwa3 (07-24-18)
Old 07-24-18, 12:39 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
LOL, that thing is not stock. It's running 103 Octane with a tune. So basically you are saying a regular M3 is faster than a stock Comp pack M3? Nice try.
A tune only M3 can run quite a bit faster than 11.6. Go to their forum.
Old 07-24-18, 12:46 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

A tune only M3 can run quite a bit faster than 11.6. Go to their forum.

Or maybe you can stop attempts to sell the M4 on this board? When you can prove a stock M3/M4 can run anywhere close to an 11.x second supercar, it would mean something. Until then an isolated number on a drag strip with some many unknowns means absolutely nothing.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-24-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 12:47 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
My last car was a 2016 Subaru WRX STI. I consider it a true sports car. Maybe not as fast as some top tier cars but really a sports car. After a year of ownership I sold it. I am getting older and that car beat me up. I could barely walk when I got out of it. My left knee was killing me from the clutch. The ride was harsh and pounded me. I could not drive it for more than an hour or so. I loved the way the car ripped up a canyon. Stuck in traffic in that thing was torture.

I want to drive all day. I want performance and I want luxury. I get it all with my RCF. After an all day drive when I am slogging home through stop and go traffic I can relax and not be praying the trip was over like in my STI. I can drive it all day and still dust a Mustang!!! LOL
RCF is a much better car, no doubt. Everyone needs to experience the Sti at some point in their lives, very fun car that doesn’t take itself too seriously.
Old 07-24-18, 12:51 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by TXgearhead

RCF is a much better car, no doubt. If you think you’re going to dust a newer 5.0, good luck with that. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...-quarter-mile/

This thread has gone from comical to just downright a complete mockery. Just because of a 10 speed auto, the auto version will not be 0.8 seconds quicker than the manual (MT instrument tested by C&D). Too big of a difference for everything identical except tranny. It has never happened. You should stop trying to insult the owner's intelligence here. That track and car are prep'ed for traction.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 07-24-18 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-24-18, 01:22 PM
TXgearhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Or maybe you can stop desperate attempts to sell the M4 on this board? When you can prove a stock M3/M4 can run anywhere close to an 11.x second supercar, it would mean anything. Until an isolated number on a drag strip with some many unknowns means absolutely nothing.
I hope no one here buys the M3/4. It sounds like ******, isn’t reliable, doesn’t hold its value, and will be replaced soon. The fact that you have a problem with a competitor being better than your car in a measure of performance is the problem.

The RCF is a great car. It fits what most performance oriented Lexus buyers were looking for and it has reliability the Germans couldn’t dream of, but in a straight line, stock vs stock or modified vs modified the BMW wins. And come on dude, it’s 2018 tons of cars run 11s now, not just supercars.

Here are the numbers since you ask for them:
-competely stock on 93 octane from a reputable magazine (C&D): 12.0 @119.3 mph
-completely stock on 103 octane: 11.66 https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post16760346
-tune only: 11.0 @ 126 mph
-current record: 9.8 @ 145

My stating that a rival is better than your car in some areas sure sets you off. The word fanboy comes to mind.

Looking forward to your response where you say that I’m wrong and the RCF is Gods greatest gift to man.

Last edited by TXgearhead; 07-24-18 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Doug Demuro: Here’s Why the Lexus RC-F Has Been a Total Flop