RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Midpipe vs Full exhaust performance

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-18, 10:04 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Midpipe vs Full exhaust performance

So I've had my F for about a week now and have been enjoying it so much, still learning the car and getting used to it. I've been researching exhaust systems and have come to the conclusion that the GT Haus Meistercraft is what i''m really interested in, it's just a little on the expensive side. My question is because I don't want my car super loud, I was considering going with just the mid pipe and keeping my stock exhaust. I'm wondering how much power/performance I'd be leaving on the table in going this route (I know an exhaust system isn't an insanely large gain).

Is the F's catback restrictive? There's a thread on the board where someone else did just the mid pipe as well, wasn't a lot of info though, there's also a video on youtube but it's really short. I'm not sure if i can justify a 5k + exhaust system purchase. Has anyone else gone this route or similar? Or is there anyone with an exhaust system other than Borla, Armytrix, Apexi that I may not have seen/heard or heard of? Would like to make sure I exhaust all my options before I settle on an a system should I decide to not go the mid pipe/stock exhaust route.

Last edited by 2UR; 07-19-18 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 10:31 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,482 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Yes, RCF exhaust is highly restrictive for emissions reasons. Have you considered Invidia full catback? It is a very nice and exotic sounding sound and not too loud (quieter than Borla or GT Haus). If you want to make it a little louder, you can delete the resonator. Piping is a good 2.75 inches. Also, the pricing is quite reasonable.
Old 07-20-18, 06:03 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I am in California so I did not want to mess with emissions. I went with the Tanabe exhaust. It is axle back and saves a few pounds. For me the issue was not the power but the sound. I thought the car was to quiet, but I did not want droning.
Old 07-20-18, 06:18 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I would recommend a full system if you're looking for sound and power. It will change the whole driving experience depending on which exhaust you get. The more mellow ones are a bit underwhelming IMO. If you really want to bring out the beast from inside the F. Get something more aggressive! I had a resonator delete and I just got the new RR racing Bazooka Exhaust and MAN...that thing is a monster now!
The following users liked this post:
JayLexin (03-26-20)
Old 07-20-18, 07:50 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

A lot of members like borla but the tips are pretty eh.. I would go with Ark exhaust. Pretty loud and high pitch noise. No droning at all and the car sounds very good. Tips, especially in titanium finish looks very nice
Old 07-20-18, 08:09 AM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spam89
A lot of members like borla but the tips are pretty eh.. I would go with Ark exhaust. Pretty loud and high pitch noise. No droning at all and the car sounds very good. Tips, especially in titanium finish looks very nice
Get whatever you deem fitting for your lifestyle. I wouldn't be the best of help for you since I like LOUD. Ark is conservative IMO and Borla is the best bang for the buck. You can always weld new tips on the Borla btw.
Old 07-20-18, 10:30 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Keep us in the loop with any questions you have, feel free to text us directly!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-20-18, 12:54 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Thanks for the input guys, heavily leaning towards a full Borla system after watching a couple dozen videos, and going through a couple of threads.
Old 07-21-18, 02:01 AM
designo
Pole Position

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

I've got the Tanabe axle backs right now and am very happy with the sound level. I would love to install heeaders to get more power but I don't want my car louder... and if I can't help it.. I don't want it to sound like a Chevy V8 either.

I can feel you cause I had the same dilemma months ago, but am very happy with the axle backs.
Old 07-21-18, 05:48 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2UR
Thanks for the input guys, heavily leaning towards a full Borla system after watching a couple dozen videos, and going through a couple of threads.
Sound clips are helpful but they don't sound like that in real life usually. The exhausts tend to sound a lot louder in person IMO. I would suggest you go listen to another F that has an exhaust that lives around you! Good luck man!
The following users liked this post:
designo (07-22-18)
Old 07-21-18, 06:51 PM
2UR
Pit Crew

Oh I definitely agree, unfortunately I have yet to see an F out here at all.
Old 07-23-18, 09:42 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got an F in MD, but no exhaust on mine yet... will go APEXi resonated mid first(ordered), then most likely Tanabe onto the back of that. I'll be happy to let you here the stages as they happen. Where abouts in MD are you?
Old 07-23-18, 11:50 AM
2UR
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by theman
I've got an F in MD, but no exhaust on mine yet... will go APEXi resonated mid first(ordered), then most likely Tanabe onto the back of that. I'll be happy to let you here the stages as they happen. Where abouts in MD are you?
Columbia MD.
Old 07-23-18, 12:06 PM
tuscani66
Pit Crew

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree with all above but I have a sub-$100 idea, like also mentioned, if you want to experiment before committing to expensive exhaust system - then delete the resonator. It might be enough for you, definitely not louder by Meister or even Borla by no stretch but it is deeper and louder than stock with no drone.

I had it done for $50 but others for less than 100; 316 stainless welded on. And if its not louder then you can still replace from Catalytic back.

*** not my car/video ***

before vid and after (47sec into)

Last edited by tuscani66; 07-23-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 12:08 PM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2UR

Columbia MD.
I have the Borla system and really enjoy the sound and look of it. In the Bowie MD area if you want to hear it we can meet somewhere.

Quick Reply: Midpipe vs Full exhaust performance