RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Still bad times 1/4 mile

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 09:21 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Still bad times 1/4 mile

Hey guys need some input here. So back in the fall I was running a 13.1 at new england dragway. This was completely stock, with about 18k on original tires, so tires weren't great.. 60ft was 2.2, felt tons of wheel spin. Now, last weekend I went back and ran 3 runs best was 13.2. With borla exhaust and toyo r888r tires which are sticky and launch hard!! I felt like I had better launches but was still pulling low 2s 60ft? What is the key here... i see people running high 12s consistently stock, this car should be running at least a mid 12 with these tires I'm thinking... the fact I'm running worse times has me confused. I'm a noob at the track so idk where I'm going wrong. Is my car just slow?? These runs were done no burnout... also I tried doing peddle dance to turn off nannies to do burnout.. but e brake light does not come on anymore. Help please lol
Old 08-15-18, 09:25 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Yeah, on sea level with a good launch, you should pull low-12s easily with sticky tires and exhaust. What is your city's elevation? Do you have stock 19s or are you running 20s? Also, what size are you running for tires? All of this matters since if you add circumference and weight on your tire/wheels, it will also slow you down off the line (despite having sticky tires).
Old 08-15-18, 10:21 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Yeah, on sea level with a good launch, you should pull low-12s easily with sticky tires and exhaust. What is your city's elevation? Do you have stock 19s or are you running 20s? Also, what size are you running for tires? All of this matters since if you add circumference and weight on your tire/wheels, it will also slow you down off the line (despite having sticky tires).
121ft above sea level. Stock 19inch wheels. Toyo r888 305/30/19.. so shouldnt be any considerable weight addition. 100% stock was slow tho, 13.1. Are people hitting their times with burnouts? Maybe this track has horrible prep?

Old 08-15-18, 11:20 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
121ft above sea level. Stock 19inch wheels. Toyo r888 305/30/19.. so shouldnt be any considerable weight addition. 100% stock was slow tho, 13.1. Are people hitting their times with burnouts? Maybe this track has horrible prep?
In this case, you added 5 lbs per tire, which means 10 lbs of additional rotational mass on the rear wheels. It is pretty significant, but I checked all sizes and these tires tend to be on the heavy side even for smaller sizes so I guess sticky tires have to heavy.

How do you launch the car? Are you brake torqueing at 1800 rpm? Are you full throttle while holding brake or you partially press the throttle while the revs get up to 1800 rpm? What happens to the rpm once you let go of the brake? Do you have a bogging feel off the line with no wheel spin at all or lots of wheel spin as the revs rise? My suspicion is, you might be bogging down off the line.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Proxes+R888R

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ot+Super+Sport
Old 08-15-18, 11:34 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

NE is pretty good for drag stuff... temps have been hot and super humid here on east coast most of the summer. Those 60fts do suck though, especially with the new tire, and that tire type will get no benefit from burnouts, as the operating temp range, especially in this weather, is where the tire is meant to be anyway.
Are you launching in sport+ and do you have TVD? I would try next couple runs two ways... Sport+ (if you have TVD, track setting) with regular VSC still engaged, keep left foot on brake at go time and roll into throttle as your roll off the brake. Next run try same settings and both feet on both pedals method, but with VSC switched off so that expert mode lights in cluster.
The weather is just starting to ease up in the evenings now too, which will help power/timing, and if you have a Sunoco nearby fill up on their 94.
Old 08-15-18, 11:57 AM
GOT8SPD
Driver

In this case, you added 5 lbs per tire, which means 10 lbs of additional rotational mass on the rear wheels. It is pretty significant, but I checked all sizes and these tires tend to be on the heavy side even for smaller sizes so I guess sticky tires have to heavy.

How do you launch the car? Are you brake torqueing at 1800 rpm? Are you full throttle while holding brake or you partially press the throttle while the revs get up to 1800 rpm? What happens to the rpm once you let go of the brake? Do you have a bogging feel off the line with no wheel spin at all or lots of wheel spin as the revs rise? My suspicion is, you might be bogging down off the line.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...l=Proxes+R888R

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ot+Super+Sport
feels like it goes man. I dont feel any bog.. had wheel spin with stock tires, dont feel it as much now. Still low 60 foot. Is it from no burnout? What's your 1/4? And partial throttle around 1800 rpm then let off break. If it was full throttle tires would spin lol
Old 08-15-18, 12:49 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GOT8SPD
feels like it goes man. I dont feel any bog.. had wheel spin with stock tires, dont feel it as much now. Still low 60 foot. Is it from no burnout? What's your 1/4? And partial throttle around 1800 rpm then let off break. If it was full throttle tires would spin lol
Very odd. Yeah, you need to heat cycle drag radials to get the compound to stick properly. Also, just like theman pointed out, your tires are very new. They need to be worn off a bit for maximum traction. I am very experienced at launching 6 speed manual (with only 8 lbs flywheel, which can bog easily off the line, if not launched correctly). I took my other car to the drag strip a few years ago a couple of times and ran a 14.6. The track closed down and I have not launched the RCF ever. I doubt I ever will since I enjoy rolling starts a lot more.

How hot is it when you run? What mode are you using? sport+/manual?

Maybe, make a video of your run from within the cabin and maybe, we can see how the car behaves when you launch?

Originally Posted by theman
NE is pretty good for drag stuff... temps have been hot and super humid here on east coast most of the summer. Those 60fts do suck though, especially with the new tire, and that tire type will get no benefit from burnouts, as the operating temp range, especially in this weather, is where the tire is meant to be anyway.
Are you launching in sport+ and do you have TVD? I would try next couple runs two ways... Sport+ (if you have TVD, track setting) with regular VSC still engaged, keep left foot on brake at go time and roll into throttle as your roll off the brake. Next run try same settings and both feet on both pedals method, but with VSC switched off so that expert mode lights in cluster.
The weather is just starting to ease up in the evenings now too, which will help power/timing, and if you have a Sunoco nearby fill up on their 94.
Yeah, I only put Octane 94. I felt a significant difference between Octane 91 and Octane 94 so now I only put 94 in it. TVD also should be in track mode for equal split of torque to each wheels.
Old 08-15-18, 01:51 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Originally Posted by theman
so burnout wont help anyways with r888r? No TVD. Of course launching in sport+ .... I've tried both feet on pedals, brake torquing to 1800, let off brake and pound gas.. no reason I should be running 13.2 .. I do have videos from the stands. Its definately something with launch since I cant get under a 2 60 foot.
Old 08-15-18, 01:53 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Very odd. Yeah, you need to heat cycle drag radials to get the compound to stick properly. Also, just like theman pointed out, your tires are very new. They need to be worn off a bit for maximum traction. I am very experienced at launching 6 speed manual (with only 8 lbs flywheel, which can bog easily off the line, if not launched correctly). I took my other car to the drag strip a few years ago a couple of times and ran a 14.6. The track closed down and I have not launched the RCF ever. I doubt I ever will since I enjoy rolling starts a lot more.

How hot is it when you run? What mode are you using? sport+/manual?

Maybe, make a video of your run from within the cabin and maybe, we can see how the car behaves when you launch?

Yeah, I only put Octane 94. I felt a significant difference between Octane 91 and Octane 94 so now I only put 94 in it. TVD also should be in track mode for equal split of torque to each wheels.
yeah bro I've had tires for a month now? Idk .. but yes I'm using sport + manual. It was 70 degrees out but humid that night... didnt notice any bog. I race on streets too and from a dig it hooks pretty hard compared to before. So it makes no sense... maybe bad track prep??
Old 08-15-18, 02:10 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I've played with launching drag radials with RX7s and Supras plenty, and they generally worked best without a burnout in the summer, and typically dropped 2.0-2.1 60ft down to 1.8 from regular street tires on those vehicles... even hooked so hard on an FD3 RX7 once I lifted the front and broke the rear diff on Nitto555DR. Just make sure you're driving around the burnout box if you have anyone doing test and tune with fluid in the box burnouts, or just before staging give it a quick wheel spin just to scrub off debris.
If you are launching the same way there should be no reason those Toyos shouldn't improve the 60ft unless there is something wrong with track prep...entirely possible there. If possible check times of current gen Mustang GT at the same track, usually those guys are always around... it will help give an idea of what things should be running close to yours.
Old 08-15-18, 05:13 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

Previous posts have noted better times in acceleration in sport mode. Maybe cutting off all the nannies allows too much wheel spin? I don't know. Don't drag.
Old 08-15-18, 06:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, like theman said, maybe try launching without a burn out. Also, what rpm do you shift at?
Old 08-15-18, 07:04 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Previous posts have noted better times in acceleration in sport mode. Maybe cutting off all the nannies allows too much wheel spin? I don't know. Don't drag.
THIS. I remember the fastest RC-F times were achieved by old members using just SPORT mode and NOT SPORT +. I remember also nannies were not turned off and no brake torquing, just mashing the gas to the floor. I think they got sub 13 second times even as low as 12.5..
FYI, I used this technique twice in the streets and never lost. No drag strip experience for me.
Old 08-15-18, 08:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the stock RCF 12.5 seconds run in Bahrain. It was done at night and probably cool at the time. Also, Bahrain has some of the best tracks so I would guess, it was prep'ed very well with proper compound on the track

Looks like he was brake torqueing as you can hear the revs rise. There is slight wheel spin, but it hooks up pretty quickly.

Old 08-16-18, 03:06 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Post your time slips if you want us to properly help you.
But first mistake is expecting a low 12 sec run just because of new tires and an exhaust, lol. Will lead to disappointment, like it's doing now.
And for the record, every car runs record time in Bahrain....not a good measuring stick.

V.

Quick Reply: Still bad times 1/4 mile