RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone Epoxy Their Garage Floor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18 | 06:50 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Question Anyone Epoxy Their Garage Floor?

Spent my weekend doing a total cleanout of all items in my garage that touch the floor.
Scrubbed entire deck with strong Degreaser and power washed the hell out of it too. (Don't you just love seeing the grime come off on each pass of water?)
I intended on doing the "Acid Etching" twice before applying Epoxy just to be sure. It's widely known that "Prepping" the deck is paramount for proper adhesion.
Chose this one to go with due to Sq Ft, Color, All In One Kit. Has anyone here taken on this DIY job, and what were your results & lessons learned?
(Do I Fill Expansion Cracks between each section or No?)
Rust-Oluem Kit

This site has been extremely helpful to me thus far, and despite dropping a few names, has been quite unbiased.
All Garage Floors

Love to see what some of yoo's guys park your beloved RCF's on / in out there! I'm pretty positive there are some stunning pics to share!
My F has been at the Detail Shop for 3 weeks having a very Special PPF & Ceramic Coating done. Would love to bring it home to an awesome looking garage!
Old 08-20-18 | 08:39 AM
brendanf
Advanced

I wish I could keep my car indoors overnight but sadly I only have a single car garage and currently my winter beater is in there.

If your looking for ideas for your garage check out this website. These are dream garages.

https://www.garageliving.com/

I do plan on tearing down my garage and building a larger one with multiple stories and a hoist but that will be a few more years from now.
Old 08-20-18 | 09:15 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

I did vinyl tiles. Epoxy floors seems pretty common in socal. And kinda played out. I visit many homes in my line of work and see it everyday. The nicest garages I've come across have been CVT or composite type tiles.
The following users liked this post:
rjmalm (08-20-18)
Old 08-20-18 | 07:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 1herm4
I did vinyl tiles. Epoxy floors seems pretty common in socal. And kinda played out. I visit many homes in my line of work and see it everyday. The nicest garages I've come across have been CVT or composite type tiles.
How does vinyl hold up to hot tires over time? Seems like no matter what you choose, in a few years you'll see exactly where you park every day on the floor when you pull out.
Old 08-20-18 | 07:43 PM
CodyJames
Intermediate

Old 08-20-18 | 07:55 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How does vinyl hold up to hot tires over time? Seems like no matter what you choose, in a few years you'll see exactly where you park every day on the floor when you pull out.
I haven't had any hot tire issues.
Old 08-20-18 | 08:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by 1herm4
I haven't had any hot tire issues.
Right. How many years? Seems to be in the 5 to 7 year range discoloration sets in from what I have seen.
Old 08-20-18 | 09:00 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Right. How many years? Seems to be in the 5 to 7 year range discoloration sets in from what I have seen.
fairly recently installed. Being a black tile, it would be hard to notice it. Advantage of the tile is that you can always replace tiles if needed. I have a good coat of wax on the tiles which helps protect them.
Old 08-21-18 | 01:40 PM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

As a commercial painting contractor, I am not a fan of epoxy flooring as they are very sensitive to concrete conditions and do not hold up well to sand and salt grinding under tires here in the Northeast. I usually apply Seal-Krete Lock Down to the concrete floor prior to applying any coating. Personally I used vinyl garage floor tiles that can withstand everything including gasoline.

Old 08-22-18 | 03:44 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Oh Well

To each their own right?
Did the Muriatic Acid treatment twice (phew!)

and once this rain subsides a little I'll be cutting in about 8" around entire garage. That'll give me an idea of how well the concrete is going to soak up paint from the kit I initially mentioned.

After doing some more reading I stepped up to the "Professional Kit" by same brand - which is known for its thicker, more durable material. Then again, we're talking mere millimeters here!
Hopefully this works out.
Old 08-22-18 | 05:23 AM
kabgolf1
Lead Lap

GunnyFitz, I see a lot of cracking in the floor. I would recommend to flash patch those before applying the epoxy flooring as the epoxies do not always bridge the cracks. The easiest way is to use Sikaflex-1c SL caulking and putty knife the excess off so it is level with the floor. In this way if the cracking continues, the caulk and epoxy will flex with it.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (08-22-18)
Old 08-22-18 | 05:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I used the Rock Solid stuff from Lowes. The box says 1 coat is needed, but it was much better with a second coat. Just an FYI if you decide to go that route. They are hot tire resistant too, havent see any issues with the viper or stangs PSS tires causing any problems.

I think overall those interlocking vinyl tiles are better even though its significantly more expensive than epoxy, but hardly any prep work needed, can make your own patterns/designs, and you cant mess it up like you can with epoxy.
Old 08-22-18 | 10:26 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Yeah, got a Kit of Crack filler from same Company and will be doing that before I start tomorrow.
Going to "Cut In" all sides 12 inches before laying down the Professional Epoxy Coat. Already figured it all out mathematically so it covers floor.
Next pics will be of finished product. Hell, if it all fails I can always go over it with the plastic -interlocking pieces. Wanna try doing this on my own first.
Semper Fi !!
Old 08-23-18 | 06:30 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Filling Cracks - No Pun

So I took your advice and filled all the cracks, holes, and defects using their Concrete Patch stuff which easily mixed together into a nice putty!

Due to some logistical issues I'm now using the initial Rust-Oleum Epoxy Kit for a 1 foot border around entire garage, which will be a shade lighter (or darker) I forget. Read up on things and found one local shop had this "Professional Epoxy Kit" that is double the thickness of the initial Epoxy - and will be used for the entire interior portion of the borders. These highly detailed instructions involve stirring Part A (Activator) into Part B for 5 straight minutes before application! Not sure about you but my wrist wont hold out that long (lmao) so I'm heading out to get one of those stirrers that connects to a cordless drill AND this cool piece of gear that a buddy suggested too!
The "Paint Stick!"

To be continued.....

So far my Roll-Away has been moved back n forth during process. Not looking fwd to rolling it out for Epoxy!
Old 08-23-18 | 12:56 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default Cut In Borders

Not that anyone really cares, but this Epoxy spreads as easy as regular paint. Taped and cut in all borders. Also went a bit off the path w the Concrete Patch where driveway meets the garage. Oh well. Tomrrow comes the big job!

*Wondering if maybe I should run a coat of Clear over it all once done & dry?

Quick Reply: Anyone Epoxy Their Garage Floor?