RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

curb rash - lexus wheel/tire protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 10:20 AM
estoyf
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default curb rash - lexus wheel/tire protection

i purchased the rim/tire protection plan when i bought my RCF back in 16. for the first time, i noticed some minor curb rash on the outer portion of the rim. i brought it in to my local dealership last week and they called me at the end of the day saying that they brought in 2 separate wheel repair companies who could not fix the curb rash. they said they could repair it, but because of the finish of the wheels, it would not look 100%. I suggested that they just replace the wheel but he said the warranty does not cover replacement, just repairs. The service advisor said he would talk to lexus corporate and see what they would say.

A week later, and no update so i revisit my dealer this morning and they admittedly dropped the ball on speaking to corporate and are looking into it now.

I certainly can't be the only RC-F owner who purchased the rim/tire protection plan and have filed a claim. Any other people experience something like this? The rim scratches aren't even that major and i can't imagine the finish on the RC-F wheels are anything a wheel repair company hasn't seen before.

Old 08-24-18, 10:35 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I never knew such protection plan existed. Is this offered through Lexus or the dealer? I don't think Lexus warranty would cover that. You might have to settle for a not so good cosmetic repair. Is would fight to get my money back on that plan and use that money to buy a replacement wheel.

Most of these "add on" plans are offered by the dealer during finance department and usually offer a reduction in finance interest rate to make the sale. It's the old "I can reduce your interest rate if you add this protection plan and will only add $2 a month"
Old 08-24-18, 10:41 AM
estoyf
Rookie

yes it is offered through lexus financial.

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...rotection.html

i am hoping lexus corporate approves the simple replacement of the wheel as minor as it is) since i will absolutely not settle for anything less than OE finish on a repair. otherwise i will be fighting the uphill battle in trying to refund the purchase price of this warranty they sold me on a wheel that they cannot repair.
Old 08-24-18, 10:42 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Trust me that's very minor rash....you WILL see worse and careless after a while. I would get my money back for that plan and put it toward a new set of wheels. Josh at Meraki will take care of you. My wife bent and cracked a wheel (Avant Garde)on the IS350 and had rash on all the others.
Old 08-24-18, 10:47 AM
1herm4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by estoyf
yes it is offered through lexus financial.

https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...rotection.html

i am hoping lexus corporate approves the simple replacement of the wheel as minor as it is) since i will absolutely not settle for anything less than OE finish on a repair. otherwise i will be fighting the uphill battle in trying to refund the purchase price of this warranty they sold me on a wheel that they cannot repair.
If the wheel is "holding air" and doesn't "affect performance "....it will be an up hill battle. Good luck, it doesn't hurt to try. It is Lexus and they have been known to cover some things.
Old 08-24-18, 12:00 PM
DT2k
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I work for a Lexus Dealership and our wheel guy can fix but it will not be 100% but not a lot of people can tell it has been fixed. also those wheels are not cheap. I just had to replace one of our customers wheel and it was $2400 for one wheel.
Old 08-24-18, 12:13 PM
estoyf
Rookie

I know, it's extremely minor. But this particular lexus warranty expressly covers cosmetic curb rash. That's where my frustration comes from. -- a cosmetic wheel/tire protection plan that doesnt cover replacement, only repairs; but the rc-f wheel's finish is unrepairable
Old 08-24-18, 12:41 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DT2k
I work for a Lexus Dealership and our wheel guy can fix but it will not be 100% but not a lot of people can tell it has been fixed. also those wheels are not cheap. I just had to replace one of our customers wheel and it was $2400 for one wheel.
$2400!!!! One wheel? Which stealership is that? Did your customer at least "lube" job and blinker fluid included?Need to make sure I stay away from your dealership.
Old 08-24-18, 01:13 PM
DT2k
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1herm4
$2400!!!! One wheel? Which stealership is that? Did your customer at least "lube" job and blinker fluid included?Need to make sure I stay away from your dealership.
that's at every dealership I'm sure. ask the dealership you are at on how much your wheel is.
Old 08-24-18, 02:12 PM
1herm4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DT2k
that's at every dealership I'm sure. ask the dealership you are at on how much your wheel is.
I guess at $1600 these are a steal!
Old 08-24-18, 02:34 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,337 Posts

I bought my RCF base wheels on eBay for $1700. close to three years ago. If your patient you can find them. hear's a full set of GSF wheels:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-GS-F-...ry!85122!US!-1

Lou
Old 08-24-18, 03:43 PM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I just ebayed a set of 4 rear RCF base BBS wheels myself for about $900... they're aren't perfect by any means, by I got them with the intent of re-powdercoating in the finish I want anyway. I should be all in about 1300 by the time I'm all done with them, just a bit under the cost of one new forged BBS oem for this car...

Stick to your guns on that extra warranty/insurance you paid for! They will have to come through with honoring one way or another...
Old 08-24-18, 06:23 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

That is lame.

They sell that insurance and then that is all they got, they better replace it if they can't repair it. Please keep us updated.
Old 08-24-18, 07:23 PM
estoyf
Rookie

Spoke to Lexus corporate today and voiced my concern. The rep put me on hold while she spoke with the department that deals with warranties. It was confirmed that replacement wheels are only provided when there is structural failure.

Again, a replacement wheel was not my intent. I just wanted the minor cosmetic curb rash repaired. The fact both the service advisor and service manager advised against repairing it because it would not look 100% says alot. (Which begs the question - why offer this warranty in the first place)

So she said she is referring the case to a case manager that will call me on Monday. I see two possible scenarios playing out: 1) they approve my claim and approve me for a new wheel or ; 2) they say there is nothing they can do and I will have to go to my individual dealer to fight the uphill battle that will be rescinding this warranty plan and getting a refund of the cost.

This stupid little thing escalated quickly and I hope Lexus comes through. I just can't believe Lexus hasn't dealt with this issue before
Old 08-27-18, 11:52 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

or, #3 they could get a wheel shop worth a crap to refinish it correctly...

Quick Reply: curb rash - lexus wheel/tire protection