RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC-F Gone. I will be back.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 08:26 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by F1nALMSfan
Very nice pick up! Love that color. You'll be pretty happy with the new car, I switched from my RC F to the M4 1.5 years ago and it has been great. Biggest things I missed from my RCF were the beautiful exhaust note (I had a Joe Z exhaust), incredible seats and the awesome instrument panel. I also really loved the RC styling. I do not miss the infotainment system at all and I wish Lexus would give their performance cars the 360 camera options, those have saved my wheels many times in the M so far. The M feels more composed than the RC did, and that lovely low end torque is addicting.

I will say though, I feel there is something special about the Lexus F cars that I really miss, and am currently looking at possibly picking up a GSF myself. Congrats again on the new ride!
Thanks F1nALMSfan! I can relate to your assertion that there is something special about the F cars and we both had the pleasure of owning them. With only 260 miles of driving the M, I can feel that she is really a track car that can be driven on the streets. The F is a more luxurious street car for sure that can be tracked.
Honestly, I don't miss the exhaust note and instrumentation in the F. Ask me in a few years and maybe..
Re the infotainment system, apple carplay,, in my opinion, is the best feature the F lacks. Also, the heads up display is awesome. Maybe this is why I don't miss the instrumentation in the F?
The F styling is a love it or hate situation. People who do not know much about cars are attracted to it.. The M's stylng is understated and is refreshing as only car enthusiasts are attracted. But I have caught people taking pics of it from the rear, in the parking lot and while on the road. I have not seen people take pics of F for some reason.
Anyways, enjoy your M4 and I will see ya in the Bimmer Forums!
Old 08-30-18, 10:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Honestly, I don't miss the exhaust note and instrumentation in the F. Ask me in a few years and maybe..
Re the infotainment system, apple carplay,, in my opinion, is the best feature the F lacks. Also, the heads up display is awesome. Maybe this is why I don't miss the instrumentation in the F?
The F styling is a love it or hate situation. People who do not know much about cars are attracted to it.. The M's stylng is understated and is refreshing as only car enthusiasts are attracted. But I have caught people taking pics of it from the rear, in the parking lot and while on the road. I have not seen people take pics of F for some reason.
Probably because you had stock exhaust. RCF stock exhaust is underwhelming to say the least for a car with a high-revving V8. I only hear 90% engine noise and almost nothing from the exhaust (no bass or deep noises). Engine noise is phenomenal at high revs. It is probably the only gripe I have with the RCF that it is fitted with a 1.5 inch diameter exhaust.

He had aftermarket exhaust, which really changes RCF's character. Regarding styling, considering it has a Lexus badge on it, I never thought I would have so many people come up to me and consistently give me nice comments, bunch of high school boys and girls giving thumbs up and clutching their heart as they were crossing the street etc.. Maybe, my color amplifies it, but I have literally seen guys standing by my car and discussing the car while I was walking back to my car.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 08-30-18 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lexura1414 (08-31-18)
Old 08-31-18, 12:04 AM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Probably because you had stock exhaust. RCF stock exhaust is underwhelming to say the least for a car with a high-revving V8. I only hear 90% engine noise and almost nothing from the exhaust (no bass or deep noises). Engine noise is phenomenal at high revs. It is probably the only gripe I have with the RCF that it is fitted with a 1.5 inch diameter exhaust.

He had aftermarket exhaust, which really changes RCF's character. Regarding styling, considering it has a Lexus badge on it, I never thought I would have so many people come up to me and consistently give me nice comments, bunch of high school boys and girls giving thumbs up and clutching their heart as they were crossing the street etc.. Maybe, my color amplifies it, but I have literally seen guys standing by my car and discussing the car while I was walking back to my car.
what's wrong with our lexus badges. Lexus and mercedes is probably one of the best brands with better interior then any brand out there.
Old 08-31-18, 05:19 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Dealer Advice?

Well, I only have 126 miles on the M and still babying it because of the break in period. So, far I have no problems driving or cruising around town similar to the RC-F. But I noticed that some roughness in the DCT. But the shifting in the M can be customized which I have not really done so.
Ride quality is similar to my dropped F which is stiffer. Though I think it is more compliant around corners because of maybe the lighter weight?
Anyways, overall I my initial impressions of the M with competition package is positive. I cant say the same for the early model years as I heard that that the 2015 and 2016 base models are rough.
Without opening the infamous can of worms on "Break In" Procedures, Im just curious if BMW specifically advised you to baby it for the first XXXX (How Many) miles?
Think you said its a Manual - exactly what do you mean by "Customizing" the shifting on it too? The only two cars on was on verge of buying before my 2017 were the Shelby GT350 and the M4. Not that it means much, but I found the BMW Website to be one of the most aggravating when it came to "Building Your Own" car - unlike the Lexus Site, which was fast and laid out so much easier. I do like your choice and wish you the best with it.
What Screen Name did you use on your new Forum too? Certainly not this one? lol
Old 08-31-18, 06:22 AM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Gunny. My M is a DCT that has 6 settings depending on what mode your in. You can pick any 3 of those settings in D and another 3 in sport. The higher the number the more aggressive it becomes.
The 1200 mile break in period is recommended but there are many owners out there that hammer it out of of the dealership. I actually could not care less about this. I am just doing so because of the newness of the car which I did for the F as well.
The RC-F is a great car with the shortcomings of a coupe in utility. This is the main reason I traded it in
. And yes I use the same name on Bimmerpost.
Thanks for the questions and comments!

Last edited by Lexura1414; 08-31-18 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-31-18, 07:19 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks F1nALMSfan! I can relate to your assertion that there is something special about the F cars and we both had the pleasure of owning them. With only 260 miles of driving the M, I can feel that she is really a track car that can be driven on the streets. The F is a more luxurious street car for sure that can be tracked.
Yea the M is definitely has a more track car feel, and it is amazing on track. Although to be honest, having tracked my ISF, RC F and M4 numerous times now, the F cars were not that far off of the M. Not as razor sharp, but still wholly enjoyable and competent. Although neither of my F cars were stock, my M4 is stock. As pointed out, my JoeZ exhaust on the RC made a truly wonderful noise, and just can't compare to the twin turbo 6 in the M. I definitely do not miss the infotainment system, BMW has Lexus by a mile (well most of the segment does), but I did really enjoy the LFA inspired dash layout. The new M5 is really nice though, much more digital and likely where the other M cars will go.

I remember waiting for those first 1,200 miles to tick by in the M. That was the hardest part of ownership.... lol. I took many extra trips in the car to get there as quick as possible. I am the same name over on Bimmerpost as well. Have fun with the new ride!
Lexura1414 (08-31-18)
Old 08-31-18, 07:23 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Hi Gunny. My M is a DCT that has 6 settings depending on what mode your in. You can pick any 3 of those settings in D and another 3 in sport. The higher the number the more aggressive it becomes.
The 1200 mile break in period is recommended but there are many owners out there that hammer it out of of the dealership. I actually could not care less about this. I am just doing so because of the newness of the car which I did for the F as well.
The RC-F is a great car with the shortcomings of a coupe in utility. This is the main reason I traded it in
. And yes I use the same name on Bimmerpost.
Thanks for the questions and comments!
If I am not mistaken too, BMW can tell and will document driving style prior to the break-in period and the launch control on the car is disabled until the break-in service is complete. I cheated a little, had my service done at 1,000 miles. Another nice thing about the BMWs, everything is covered, all services, parts, labor. My 16' came with four full years, and included brakes, I believe 17' and on were moved down to three years, and brakes were removed from the list. Still a nice to have feature. Two years of ownership now and I have not had one problem with my car nor has it been in the shop for anything but scheduled maintenance.
Lexura1414 (08-31-18)
Old 08-31-18, 02:28 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks F1!! I have no idea that they can track driving habits during the break in period. And I heard about the launch control hold which sucks! I will always welcome these kinds of advice from experience owners like you.
Fyi, I just went thru a couple of hours of traffic on not so good roads and my verdict is that the M being in all comfort setting is still a rougher and harder ride than my swift lowered F. I am not complaining! Just saying..
And I am goin thru the same anxious moments of wanting to drive the M when possible to reach 1200 miles. I might just cheat like you! :-)

Last edited by Lexura1414; 08-31-18 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-01-18, 05:56 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks F1!! I have no idea that they can track driving habits during the break in period. And I heard about the launch control hold which sucks! I will always welcome these kinds of advice from experience owners like you.
Fyi, I just went thru a couple of hours of traffic on not so good roads and my verdict is that the M being in all comfort setting is still a rougher and harder ride than my swift lowered F. I am not complaining! Just saying..
And I am goin thru the same anxious moments of wanting to drive the M when possible to reach 1200 miles. I might just cheat like you! :-)
that is very surprising to hear. The F on Swift is a terrible terrible ride comfort wise.
Old 09-01-18, 07:13 AM
Orthodoks
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

05RollaXRS, thank you. I replaced the F with a 2018 M3 with competition package.
Holy cow, you really did it, an M3. Your RCF was one of the best looking in MN, it definitely drew attention at CnC and I'm sure it did on the road as well. Once you are done breaking in the M3 you'll have to give me a ride. I've been in the M4 and its super quick, very curious how they compare. Any plans for the M3?
Old 09-01-18, 04:04 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the compliments Orthodoks! Yes, I really did it as I needed 4 doors. Organize a ride and I will try my best to join before the season ends. If not, I will just give you a ride no problem. Yes, it’s a fast vehicle! Just planning some cosmetic mods. No go fast goodies yet.

Last edited by Lexura1414; 09-01-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-02-18, 03:16 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks for the compliments Orthodoks! Yes, I really did it as I needed 4 doors. Organize a ride and I will try my best to join before the season ends. If not, I will just give you a ride no problem. Yes, it’s a fast vehicle! Just planning some cosmetic mods. No go fast goodies yet.

Nice choice! im in the market for another 4 door performance vehicle also. The M3 was my top choice. Do you mind sharing your negotiating experience and % off msrp? Thanks
Old 09-03-18, 11:00 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 695 Likes on 611 Posts

Nice choice!

Let us know if you want to mod the M3 too.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-03-18, 11:19 AM
F1nALMSfan
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ssmoked

Nice choice! im in the market for another 4 door performance vehicle also. The M3 was my top choice. Do you mind sharing your negotiating experience and % off msrp? Thanks
I would suggest really studying what's going on here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=504 , the M3/4 pricing thread on Bimmerpost. I learned a lot on what was the current fair price on the various models/options combos, and I was able to find a an extra $2,500 discount by signing up for a $12 AARP membership (unfortunately it looks like this discount is no longer valid). BMW has a good corporate fleet discount for a large number of business' too. Good luck on your search!