RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

First rcf I've heard that makes a lot of crackles and bangs, but how?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-18, 09:22 PM
Xzria
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apaul
Yea its def the tune. If you YouTube pop and bang map or burble tune, you will find tons of M cars and Subarus adding that function to their tune. The pop and bangs map plays around with the fuel cut off timing and basically dumps some fuel even when ur off the throttle. The fuel gets in the hot exhaust and causes those pops and bangs. The map isn't recommended on cars with cats though. So if ur like me and only have a cat back exhaust, it's a no go because of damage to cats and o2 sensors. RR racing can def add it if requested seeing that even small tune shops are capable of adding this feature.
I know the GtHaus exhaust deletes the secondary car, so wedw have to delete the other one I'm assuming .Does it have any negative sideeffside ?
Old 09-12-18, 11:10 PM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Xzria
I know the GtHaus exhaust deletes the secondary car, so wedw have to delete the other one I'm assuming .Does it have any negative sideeffside ?
My understanding is that if you have headers and exhaust, primary and secondary cats are gone. You will need a tune to get rid of CEL so could add that additional pops and bang map to the tune. One thing ive read is that gas mileage suffers due to this feature on cars that don't come with them stock (jaguar svr, amg, m4 competition).
Old 09-12-18, 11:53 PM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

My understanding is that if you have headers and exhaust, primary and secondary cats are gone. You will need a tune to get rid of CEL so could add that additional pops and bang map to the tune. One thing ive read is that gas mileage suffers due to this feature on cars that don't come with them stock (jaguar svr, amg, m4 competition).

Fuel economy is obviously going to be affected by any ​​​​​tune that waste fuel. My C63 has a aftermarket tune that causes over the top back fires on downshifts but no crackle pop. Luckily for you guys the 5.0l that Lexus uses has the D4-S fuel injectors so Intake valve carbon buildup shouldn’t be as much of a issue as it will be for BMW’s Jaguar’s, and Audi cars down the road. With my Porsche the crackle pops can be turned off by putting the car into normal mode, I suspect the same can be done with the Lexus F models too once the aftermarket tune is applied. Sometimes the crackle pops gets annoying if your doing a really long 2 or 3 hour highway trip. It’s nice to be able to have the option of switching the modes on the fly.
Old 09-12-18, 11:57 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by highrev6

Fuel economy is obviously going to be affected by any ​​​​​tune that waste fuel. My C63 has a aftermarket tune that causes over the top back fires on downshifts but no crackle pop. Luckily for you guys the 5.0l that Lexus uses has the D4-S fuel injectors so Intake valve carbon buildup shouldn’t be as much of a issue as it will be for BMW’s Jaguar’s, and Audi cars down the road. With my Porsche the crackle pops can be turned off by putting the car into normal mode, I suspect the same can be done with the Lexus F models too once the aftermarket tune is applied. Sometimes the crackle pops gets annoying if your doing a really long 2 or 3 hour highway trip. It’s nice to be able to have the option of switching the modes on the fly.
Yea that would be nice to turn off in certain modes. Are there any other days backs by doing it?​​
Old 09-13-18, 12:06 AM
Apaul
Driver

Originally Posted by highrev6

Love the sports exhaust on Porsche! I completely agree that pops and bangs all the time is annoying. If it can be assigned to sports plus mode only then that's a much better option. Do you think the pops and bang tune is safe for cars that have catback exhaust with primary cats still in place?
Old 09-13-18, 12:43 AM
highrev6
Lead Lap

Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

Love the sports exhaust on Porsche! I completely agree that pops and bangs all the time is annoying. If it can be assigned to sports plus mode only then that's a much better option. Do you think the pops and bang tune is safe for cars that have catback exhaust with primary cats still in place?

My Porsche has 3 modes much like many F and F Sport Lexus models have. In normal mode no P&C exhaust valves closed by default. Sport mode the exhaust valves open and the P&C tune kicks in. In the Sport Plus aka track mode the cars exhaust valves continues to stay open and loud, but the engines pops and crackle stop. I think because in track mode you need the car to be hard focused on the best lap time and the pops and cracks are just for theatrics so the engineers decided to make sure the up and downshifts are as fast as possible with no theatrics.

Assuming your talking about Lexus Cars with catback exhaust I think you’ll be fine with the aftermarket tune. Lexus makes really hardy engines. Lexus also went the extra mile to make sure all their motors use direct and port fuel injection when most of the competition are using just direct injection which historically has been linked to intake valves having carbon buildup. The Lexus D4-S technology sorta exempts Lexus engines from ever seeing the carbon build up if understand correctly.

Old 10-03-18, 07:55 PM
GR4NR1C3RF
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That's nothing....sounds like he either gutted the stock cats or has headers w/no cats....you don't even need a "cat-back" exhaust or ECU reflash for this....
Old 10-04-18, 03:45 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

There are a few guys up here in Toronto doing this tune on Lexus. Personally I don’t like it, it makes it sound like something is broken but to each their own.

But basically the tune adds more fuel on the throttle closure at low RPMs. It causes excess unburnt fuel to dump into the exhaust and cause the popping sound. It will damage the cats over time and you can forget about warranty too.

Old 10-04-18, 03:48 AM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by brendanf
There are a few guys up here in Toronto doing this tune on Lexus. Personally I don’t like it, it makes it sound like something is broken but to each their own.

But basically the tune adds more fuel on the throttle closure at low RPMs. It causes excess unburnt fuel to dump into the exhaust and cause the popping sound. It will damage the cats over time and you can forget about warranty too.

Yeah I understand, to each their own. It's honestly starting to become such a standard thing now with cars. All the newer Lamborghini like the svj and performante do it stock. Same with the jaguar v8 r type. To me it's just that extra characteristic thats nice to hear when you down shift.
Old 10-04-18, 03:52 PM
FORMUK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mforce.ca is the company that's doing this tune. Cost is $1300CAD. They claim 10-12% power gains/increase torque/better throttle response/speed limiter removal/increase max rpm on each gear.

(I inquired about it)
Old 10-04-18, 04:01 PM
Xzria
Driver

Originally Posted by FORMUK
Mforce.ca is the company that's doing this tune. Cost is $1300CAD. They claim 10-12% power gains/increase torque/better throttle response/speed limiter removal/increase max rpm on each gear.

(I inquired about it)
Is it is! I I checked their Instagram and that kid with that video follows them. That's not bad, but I wonder if it actually does what they say .
Old 10-04-18, 04:06 PM
FORMUK
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's yet to be determined until they post some dynos!

In my short conversation with them I inquired about the process and seems like it's for local folks only (Toronto based) but they are considering a USA trip since there's been a huge interest from this side of NA.

EDIT: Sorry to the kid that wanted to keep all this information a secret?! lol
Old 10-04-18, 04:39 PM
Apaul
Driver

Lol good research! And i second the sorry to the lil bum who was being all secretive abt it. Smh. We all share info here abt vendors and mods available.

edit- just heard the pops on their ig. OMG....
...its sounds HORRIBLE. Like the cars muffler is hanging and hitting the floor. Ill stick with my once in a while pop from my borla

Last edited by Apaul; 10-04-18 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 05:38 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

(I inquired about it)
There is another guy here in Toronto that does it too for a lot less but he’s not going to travel to do it.
Old 10-04-18, 06:22 PM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

That's yet to be determined until they post some dynos!

In my short conversation with them I inquired about the process and seems like it's for local folks only (Toronto based) but they are considering a USA trip since there's been a huge interest from this side of NA.

EDIT: Sorry to the kid that wanted to keep all this information a secret?! lol
Lol good research! And i second the sorry to the lil bum who was being all secretive abt it. Smh. We all share info here abt vendors and mods available.

edit- just heard the pops on their ig. OMG....
...its sounds HORRIBLE. Like the cars muffler is hanging and hitting the floor. Ill stick with my once in a while pop from my borla
I don't care too much about the situation but just thought I'd clarify.
The kid didn't have a choice, the company didn't want him to disclose yet.

Quick Reply: First rcf I've heard that makes a lot of crackles and bangs, but how?