RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Genesis 3.8 R Spec vs my RCF

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-18 | 07:44 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Default Genesis 3.8 R Spec vs my RCF

I got to finally put the power in perspective today. In the last few years, I never street race especially since I am married and have a daughter and don't condone it. I simply ignore since I have got my RCF. Just the opportunity presented itself and wanting to experience it first hand, I did not let it pass.

A Genesis 3.8 R Spec with a loud exhaust next to me, took off hard off the line at green. In a split second decision, I wanted to see what my RCF could do out of curiosity. As soon as he got 0.5 car length, I punched it after from idle (was already in sport+manual). Got some wheel spin and then pulled hard to almost the rev limit. Went to 2nd all the way to redline, I started pulling away. By mid of 3rd gear, I had pulled away by almost 3 car lengths and was pulling away hard when I let off (around 80 mph). I was still close to the speed limit since it was a big road.

Anyway, I had never seen in real life a 350 HP car with a loud exhaust getting reeled in very quickly. Perhaps, because RCF is my first fast car so I did not have this sense of perspective previously. Anyway, thought I would share as I did got some fun out of it.
The following users liked this post:
ba2sy (09-15-18)
Old 09-13-18 | 09:44 PM
LXSDO
Advanced

Sounds fun. Yeah just the perspective is interesting, to start late and then blow past it because we know which car would dominate.
Old 09-13-18 | 10:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LXSDO
Sounds fun. Yeah just the perspective is interesting, to start late and then blow past it because we know which car would dominate.
True. It is one thing to see speedo with numbers flashing on it especially in the RCF where you don't feel acceleration once the car is rolling (partly due to tall gearing and the very flat torque curve). To see it actually pull away quickly from a fairly powerful (and lighter) car really made it all relative.
Old 09-14-18 | 06:29 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Had a genesis 3.8 with exhaust pull on me while we were going 80mph and passed me by half a car as well, I hit 3rd gear and redlined right alongside (should've been in fourth) but as soon as I ticked up to 4th the RCF started walking away.

Someone who's been flooring it for a good 2 seconds next to the RCF to get away yet still gets walked on, definitely didn't care to stick around and just kept speeding away after.

Most sports coupes in the 300+ hp can easily pull on you if you're not prepared though so as fast as the RCF is, it's not worth it running it to 120mph to show them you can still walk them after catching up so definitely gotta pick your battles lol.
Old 09-14-18 | 06:57 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kerune
Had a genesis 3.8 with exhaust pull on me while we were going 80mph and passed me by half a car as well, I hit 3rd gear and redlined right alongside (should've been in fourth) but as soon as I ticked up to 4th the RCF started walking away.

Someone who's been flooring it for a good 2 seconds next to the RCF to get away yet still gets walked on, definitely didn't care to stick around and just kept speeding away after.

Most sports coupes in the 300+ hp can easily pull on you if you're not prepared though so as fast as the RCF is, it's not worth it running it to 120mph to show them you can still walk them after catching up so definitely gotta pick your battles lol.
Yeah, this was the R-Spec, which makes around 350 HP. Still about a 120 HP gap, but wanted to see how quickly I could reel him in off the line. One frustrating thing about the RCF is where the rev limiter is since it is pulling the hardest when the rev limiter hits abruptly when you are in the thick of the powerband. The engine clearly was tuned for high rpm power delivery, but looks like the bean counters did not allow the engineer to put a 7700 - 7800 rpm rev limit.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 09-15-18 at 12:58 PM.