RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

A few RC F questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18 | 10:55 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Default A few RC F questions

Hello,
Long time member, but have not been in a Lexus for several years. I'm currently in the market for a used RC F and have some questions;
1. What size are the door speakers? They appear to be bigger than a standard 6.5", so I'm guessing 8 inches?
2. In my shopping so far I've seen a few RC F's with CF or black(?) roofs... is that part of a specific package or an add on?
3. Front license plates... hate 'em, but don't want to rule out a car if they are only mounted with a removable bracket.
4. I've seen a few vehicles with a dash button that looks to be a rear window washer/wiper?
5. I had a DVD bypass in my '08, and it looks like Beatsonic makes one for the RC F... any other manufacturers make them that are worth considering?
6. Why so many '15's for sale, but hard to find a '16 or '17?-
7. I know the RC-F is rather heavy, but how is the throttle response... can this thing get out of it's own way?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Last edited by mumbles; 10-14-18 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-14-18 | 11:39 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

1. Definitely, bigger than 6. inches from the looks of it. Around 8 inches sounds about right
2. Yes, it is the carbon performance package. It comes with carbon fiber roof, spoiler and a torque vectoring differential replaces the standard Torsen LSD for more sharper handling. I have it and it is an incredible piece of engineering as to how it makes the nose respond so fast. Euro/JDM spec RCF also get carbon hood.
3. Depends on your region. In my city, there is no such requirement so I never have to put any front license on my cars.
4. Not sure what button that is. You will have to show a picture because RCF does not have rear wiper/washer.
5. Not too sure about this.Beatsonic seems very popular, though.
6. Production numbers changed from 2015 to 2016 onwards. Keep in mind, most of the 2015 are high mileage (and probably abused hard) and because things like brakes, tires etc, wear out over time and cost quite a lot to replace, you would want a low mileage one.
7. It is an N/A high-revving V8 with light internals so throttle response and sound are its two strongest elements. Throttle response depends a lot on the mode selected. It can be super dull to super sharp depending on the mode. If you want to experience the sharpest, in manual mode with sport+ on, it is very sharp especially once the car is rolling. It can even be made much sharper with a small and cheap mod like the Apexi throttle controller.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
GunnyFitz (10-19-18), LRCSALES (10-16-18)
Old 10-14-18 | 04:38 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Appreciate the info! Here is a pic of what I'm asking about in #4... Looks like some sort of window heater or washer?

Old 10-14-18 | 05:42 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

It is to turn on the rain sensing wipers (windshield). The 'P' is for the intuitive parking assist system. Also, looks like it is not a fully optioned out model because I have one more switch, I believe. For example, one is for the auto headlight mode.

Originally Posted by mumbles
Appreciate the info! Here is a pic of what I'm asking about in #4... Looks like some sort of window heater or washer?

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-14-18 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-14-18 | 06:10 PM
Ctrl-F
Pole Position

That button is the windshield wiper de-icer. Per the manual, "This feature is used to prevent ice from building up on the windshield and wiper blades."
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (10-16-18)
Old 10-15-18 | 04:48 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Thought of one more;
7. The rear seat doesn't fold down, correct? It's just a ski pass through or is there even that?
Old 10-15-18 | 04:51 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

That's correct. All other "RC" variants the rear seats fold down, except the RCF due to extra rigidity/bracing engineered to further avoid "body twisting under load" with the fixed rear seat set up.

Thought of one more;
7. The rear seat doesn't fold down, correct? It's just a ski pass through or is there even that?
Old 10-15-18 | 05:28 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

In US, the all weather package includes a headlight washer (you can see it on the bumper), a heated steering wheel (there is a button next to the seat temp control buttons), and windshield wiper de-icer ( the button you pictured). There is a heating element at the base of the windshield that melts ice and snow to free the wiper blades.
The following 2 users liked this post by SoSlow:
05RollaXRS (10-15-18), LRCSALES (10-16-18)
Old 10-15-18 | 09:50 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoSlow
In US, the all weather package includes a headlight washer (you can see it on the bumper), a heated steering wheel (there is a button next to the seat temp control buttons), and windshield wiper de-icer ( the button you pictured). There is a heating element at the base of the windshield that melts ice and snow to free the wiper blades.
Interesting. I never knew I had headlight washer until I read your post. I have fully optioned out model and the package with the heated steering and the wiper de-icer, but I thought here we don't get the headlight washer (Canada), but after reading your post, I went back and looked at the front of the car. Apparently, those two round things on my bumper must be the headlight washers. I always thought they were the parking distance sensors.

Old 10-15-18 | 10:01 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The two round circles in the vertical surfaces of the front bumper (at least two more of the same in the rear bumper) are parking sensors.

The headlight washers are at least twice the size and usually rectangular in shape on the horizontal surfaces on the bumble just a n front of the headlights..

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Interesting. I never knew I had headlight washer until I read your post. I have fully optioned out model and the package with the heated steering and the wiper de-icer, but I thought here we don't get the headlight washer (Canada), but after reading your post, I went back and looked at the front of the car. Apparently, those two round things on my bumper must be the headlight washers. I always thought they were the parking distance sensors.

Old 10-15-18 | 10:03 PM
TRANC3
Rookie

Nah mate, they ARE your parking sensors. The headlight washer actually sits just below the DRL....you can just make it out in the pic of mine below.

As to why you don't have it....pass. I know in Australia it's legislation that new cars must have these now....perhaps it's different across the pond??

The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (10-15-18)
Old 10-15-18 | 10:23 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks. Good point. Yeah, not sure we did not get them.

Originally Posted by TRANC3
Nah mate, they ARE your parking sensors. The headlight washer actually sits just below the DRL....you can just make it out in the pic of mine below.

As to why you don't have it....pass. I know in Australia it's legislation that new cars must have these now....perhaps it's different across the pond??
Old 10-16-18 | 07:07 AM
Limelight
Driver

I've never understood the logic in how manufacturers decide who gets the headlight washers. The Canadian spec of my RLX gets them for example but the US variant doesn't. Last time I checked, it snows in the US....

That said, I have never used them outside of inadvertently pressing the button a few times in error. I guess I clean my car too frequently to benefit from them lol

Old 10-16-18 | 07:56 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Do you allow me to ask some questions in this thread ? So I don't need to open one specific.
Old 10-16-18 | 08:01 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Absolutely...

Quick Reply: A few RC F questions