RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

What do you love and hate about your RC F?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-18, 07:19 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Suburbazin
The seats are great

Dislikes:
It's slow. Ok, it's fast if you want to go more than 100mph. It's slow under 90 and will be matched inch for inch by a ten year old ES350 from 30-80.
The headlights are so-so
It's hard on rubber
It's perpetually doing stupid things with stupid software bugs
If I push the gas to the floor, that means I want the throttle to open and the car to go. Not "Oh are you sure about that? Very sure? Last chance! GOOOOOO" (good way to get run over merging)
The windshields are far too fragile
Infotainment system is a dumpster fire and randomly reboots (Lexus says this is normal/acceptable)
This list could be pretty long
Pre-collision system has this fear of road signs in corners. It actually has a fear of low road signs period.
put the car in 2nd at 45 or 50 in sport mode that should change your mind about the slow part
Old 10-22-18, 07:23 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,475 Likes on 1,780 Posts

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
put the car in 2nd at 45 or 50 in sport mode that should change your mind about the slow part
Agreed. Downshifting to 2nd gear in 40 - 45 mph and then stepping on it really makes for awesome merging on freeways.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Limelight (10-22-18), LRCSALES (10-22-18)
Old 10-22-18, 11:49 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

That video was funny. The left lane was open. Timid driver.

I agree with mostly everything listed, but I don't like the fact that the intelligent cruise control ends at 25 mph, which is useless in stop and go traffic.
Old 10-22-18, 05:13 PM
Ratedg
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Loves:
1. Rarity of the car
2. Overall Reliability for a Performance Car
3. Daily Drivability
4. V8 SOUND is hard to beat.
5. Creature Comforts
6. Spacious Interior and back seat.
7. The GF can drive the car if necessary

Hate:
1. The Performance compared to other cars in its class. The F usually ranks last in majority of the "Fast" Car group.
2. Low RPM Lags on finding a gear..
3. The "Fun" Driver's experience is missing... (hence i am on the edge of selling the car to go to a 997c2s 6mt)
4. Aftermarket parts are limited
Old 10-22-18, 07:17 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ratedg

Hate:
1. The Performance compared to other cars in its class. The F usually ranks last in majority of the "Fast" Car group.
I would not hold it against it. RCF is as an old, obsolete car now and basically unchanged. 5 model years is an eternity and I think RCF is aging very well. When it came out in 2014, it was quicker than many in the class such as, 6th gen Camaro SS, B8 RS5, C63 AMG, Mustang GT etc, especially around the track. M4/M3 used to be a few tenths quicker. Now times move on so many of these cars have had heavy updates and most have moved on to turbocharging. It is a normal progression and I don't see any issues with that. I wish Lexus had done a mid-life update. Most likely, Lexus will create a twin turbo V6 next gen F car. The new A90 Supra is a good indication of where Toyota/Lexus performance is headed.

RCF still hangs quite well against the 2018 Camaro SS here

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-22-18 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 10:06 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
Not entirely true for early 2000 ones. RCF does well from a roll in the right gear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry0REKP4-Eg
Guess I was watching a Different Video than you was! One of mine is a 2000 model & Believe me, I Know! If anything you'd think the RCF would have a better chance of beating the Viper thru the quarter just because the Viper's are not very good from the line because of All the Torque, but All you have to do is go to zerotosixty.com & it pretty much tells you ALL of the quarter mile times of Any/All cars!
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-23-18)
Old 10-23-18, 05:54 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool New Site To Me

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
Guess I was watching a Different Video than you was! One of mine is a 2000 model & Believe me, I Know! If anything you'd think the RCF would have a better chance of beating the Viper thru the quarter just because the Viper's are not very good from the line because of All the Torque, but All you have to do is go to zerotosixty.com & it pretty much tells you ALL of the quarter mile times of Any/All cars!
Never heard of this site before, checking it out after posting my thanks!
Spent all day at the VA Hospital yesterday and used my time wisely. I sat watching every Race Video imaginable, and am shocked at the 1/4 mile times of some of these cars. The Demon is just plain SICK, the GTR is relentless at winning, and as you said - I saw so many Vipers muff the start. I tried to stick to mostly Stock rides, but some of these 1400 Hp cars that people build are insane! I like the Pro Runs with lights at the end which show Run Times & Speeds. Never saw them do Running Starts on a Drag Strip before too!
I'm content with the 400 RwHp I have, and have no desire for anything Supercharged. Not for me at all.
Old 10-23-18, 04:40 PM
myidsucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I had two Vipers previously (2000 and 2006) and they would both smoke the RC F in the 1/4 mile if launched properly. The Viper is a difficult car to launch on a drag strip (takes a bunch of practice) and a mistake in the launch is the only hope the RC F would have. Both my Vipers were close to stock and ran 12.1s on street tires and 2200' altitude. johnnyreb's Gen V Viper is a car that should be very deep into the 11s in the 1/4 mile, stock.

The low-end torque of the Viper is what I miss most in the RC F.

I definitely do not miss the quality issues and terrible dealership experience I had with the Viper. The RC F smokes it in both categories.

Old 10-23-18, 05:37 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^

There was never any conversation of 1/4 mile. I posted a video of an RCF sticking behind an early-2000s Viper GTS during a rolling 3rd gear 70 - 125 mph acceleration run. That is all. I just posted the video and what it shows. Everyone can certainly draw their own conclusions from it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-23-18 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-23-18, 06:24 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Never heard of this site before, checking it out after posting my thanks!
Spent all day at the VA Hospital yesterday and used my time wisely. I sat watching every Race Video imaginable, and am shocked at the 1/4 mile times of some of these cars. The Demon is just plain SICK, the GTR is relentless at winning, and as you said - I saw so many Vipers muff the start. I tried to stick to mostly Stock rides, but some of these 1400 Hp cars that people build are insane! I like the Pro Runs with lights at the end which show Run Times & Speeds. Never saw them do Running Starts on a Drag Strip before too!
I'm content with the 400 RwHp I have, and have no desire for anything Supercharged. Not for me at all.
Yeah Gunny, it's SICK what some of these cars run & you Never had a Clue they were that Quick/Fast & even some that you Thought were A LOT Quicker than they actually are! Hope everything's well with you at the VA Hospital! Let us know IF we need to send out some Extra Prayers Out! GL
GunnyFitz (10-24-18)
Old 10-23-18, 06:41 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by myidsucks
I had two Vipers previously (2000 and 2006) and they would both smoke the RC F in the 1/4 mile if launched properly. The Viper is a difficult car to launch on a drag strip (takes a bunch of practice) and a mistake in the launch is the only hope the RC F would have. Both my Vipers were close to stock and ran 12.1s on street tires and 2200' altitude. johnnyreb's Gen V Viper is a car that should be very deep into the 11s in the 1/4 mile, stock.

The low-end torque of the Viper is what I miss most in the RC F.

I definitely do not miss the quality issues and terrible dealership experience I had with the Viper. The RC F smokes it in both categories.
You're Exactly right about everything! And I Don't deal with the Stealership No more than I have to! The RCF is just a Different car in ALL Phases, but that's Why I bought it cause it's a Very Nice Refined car especially compared to the Viper, but then again my Gen. V is like Nite & Day compared to my Gen. II. Some days it feels Good just to get into the RCF & Enjoy a Very Nice ride & it's also Pretty Sneaky QUICK! Most people around here don't usually know what it is cause you don't ever see one around here, same thing about my Vipers. Main Reason i'm not a Big Fan of Vettes, you see them on Every other Corner!Like you said though, i'd LOVE it IF the RCF had MORE Torque
myidsucks (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 02:45 PM
CK9887
Pole Position

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't know how we got started on Vipers...but the RC-F feels like a Honda Civic in comparison to my 05 Viper. It doesn't matter if its from a dig or an 80 roll, the Viper will put bus lengths on the RC-F.

My Viper (exhaust/drag radial) ran an 11.4 @ 124mph.... and its a decade older than the RC-F. A stock Gen V Viper will trap 130mph. The RC-F is a great car but its a grand tourer, not a sports car.

Last edited by CK9887; 10-24-18 at 03:14 PM.
myidsucks (10-24-18)
Old 10-24-18, 04:29 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Don't know where? Well, why don't you can actually read the posts and get the answer. It was strictly/only about the early version Viper GTS (Gen 2). it has nothing to do with the 600+ HP Gen 4 or Gen 5. It is not anyone else's fault that it keeps getting out of context. Just to quote below what I said.

Also, you must be quite emotional to be comparing an RCF to a Civic relative to your Viper. Based on such a statement, I can tell you never have driven an RCF. Very comical.

^^^^

There was never any conversation of 1/4 mile. I posted a video of an RCF sticking behind an early-2000s Viper GTS during a rolling 3rd gear 70 - 125 mph acceleration run. That is all. I just posted the video and what it shows. Everyone can certainly draw their own conclusions from it.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 10-24-18 at 07:17 PM.
LRCSALES (10-25-18)
Old 10-24-18, 05:09 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by myidsucks
- styling
- dealership experience
- brakes
- feel and fit of seats

Dislikes
- not enough low-end torque
- car is too heavy
- factory tires not grippy enough
- nav and infotainment needs to be updated, along with the touchpad
- ventilated seats don't work well at all
Didn't you test drive the car before you bought or leased it?
Old 10-24-18, 05:11 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't understand why some people complain about the lack of power and the weight of the car. It hasn't changed since you bought it or leased it. Test drive the car next time.

Quick Reply: What do you love and hate about your RC F?