RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Dogs and RC-F - Protection

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 10:23 AM
inknart123
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dogs and RC-F - Protection

Anyone with an RCF have any advice on what you do to try and help keep suede from getting scratched up? Seat Covers ect?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (10-29-18)
Old 10-26-18, 10:28 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Put'em in the Trunk! Or at the very least put'em in a Cage & put'em in the Trunk! I guess it just depends on What KIND of Dog you're talking about! JUST Me, But NO Mid-Size Dog will EVER ride in ANY of My Cars! Most likely NO Dogs will Ever ride in one of my cars. JMO
Old 10-26-18, 11:14 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

I love dogs but would never put a dog in a car.
Old 10-27-18, 04:42 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Love my dogs, but even the little ones don’t go in the car, truck or trucklet is for canine carriage.
Old 10-27-18, 10:49 PM
mjn88
Lead Lap

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

My dog is in my F every single day lol. My car isn’t torn up but she’s only 10lbs
GunnyFitz (10-29-18)
Old 10-28-18, 03:56 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Using trucks to transport dogs is a purely rich people things. In the past, it was also a pure american practice.
In my youth, european had breaks for those tasks and we, for the most parts, simply putted our dogs in what we had for transport. Renault 5, Peugeot 405, old Toyota, Citroën ZX, or whatever. Dogs are no national treasures, they adapt to everything without beeing traumatised, they also like completely strange things that would seem illogical. Mine was literally drugged of riding on electric bikes and wheelchairs. He even escaped many times with the postman, enjoying to make the daily round of the town with him.
Old 10-28-18, 01:54 PM
RCF007
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I cant help with this one. I personally just throw my dogs in the back seats. I have Border collies and they are trained well enough to stay in the back. I love my dogs and my cars but they ride with me when I can. maybe look into individual seat covers for the back?
GunnyFitz (10-29-18)
Old 10-28-18, 04:33 PM
Bluecarbon
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry but for me, I’m keeping any and all animals out of my F. I’m taking no chances
Old 10-29-18, 06:32 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool Service Dogs

This is a highly passionate topic for me, so prepare yourself for this novel.......

Very good question, and I believe I can shed some light on the Subject. Those of you that know me, are aware I am the proud Recipient of an extremely skilled, and highly trained TBI & PTSD Service Dog named "Russell." He was obtained by the first Organization to create such special Service Dogs and was trained for 18 months prior to my selection. He is not a "Pet" and is Certified under ADA Law to accompany me everywhere (With minor exceptions) You guys would puke if you heard the questions I get from people in public! I advise many Disabled Veterans who tell me they want a PTSD Service Dog, that you walk around with a huge sign saying "Something is wrong with me" and to be prepared for these questions, or to be challenged as to the authenticity. We've all seen the news about people with Fake Service Dogs right? Last week at the VA Hospital I was waiting for an appointment and in walks a Vet with a Pit Bull (in a vest) pulling at the leash, growling and barking - with a damn muzzle on him too! I had to leave the area since his dog was straining to get at Russell. Its because of people like that, we Valid Service Dog Owners get a bad rep! (ADA clearly states the dog can not display any sign of aggression whatsoever) Anyway......

Since receiving Russell in September 2012, I have spent every minute with him - 24/7 / 365 - which is surreal if you think about it. He was trained to ride on the front passenger Floor Board when in vehicles- which lessens the chance of him being thrown about the cockpit during an accident. However, when I do have a passenger, Russell rides in the back seat area which I have converted to his own personal traveling bedroom. I placed chair cushions in the seat buckets and covered them with two plush blankets. The Company "Ruff Wear" was kind to donate their Travel Harness which is specifically made for car travel with dogs. It has a loop which the seat belt goes thru and actually works quite well. It even enables a dog to turn around while in the seat too! Grooming your dog is absolutely essential - keeping their nails trimmed is vital to both their health, and our cars. I can proudly report that I do not have any scratches to my interior from Russell. When riding with a passenger he will stand outside the drivers side until given the command "Load" which he then jumps up onto my seat, touching the Center Console, and into the back. Though I cover this piece with a Microfiber Towel, there are no scratches to it at all. Before hitting Some folks just aren't "Dog People" and I understand that. However, many of us know the unbelievable bond created between man and dog, and that safely traveling with them should be a fun experience!

Semper Fidelis,

Gunny

The following 2 users liked this post by GunnyFitz:
Ellingtoni (07-20-24), mk416 (10-29-18)
Old 10-29-18, 07:14 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
This is a highly passionate topic for me, so prepare yourself for this novel.......

Very good question, and I believe I can shed some light on the Subject. Those of you that know me, are aware I am the proud Recipient of an extremely skilled, and highly trained TBI & PTSD Service Dog named "Russell." He was obtained by the first Organization to create such special Service Dogs and was trained for 18 months prior to my selection. He is not a "Pet" and is Certified under ADA Law to accompany me everywhere (With minor exceptions) You guys would puke if you heard the questions I get from people in public! I advise many Disabled Veterans who tell me they want a PTSD Service Dog, that you walk around with a huge sign saying "Something is wrong with me" and to be prepared for these questions, or to be challenged as to the authenticity. We've all seen the news about people with Fake Service Dogs right? Last week at the VA Hospital I was waiting for an appointment and in walks a Vet with a Pit Bull (in a vest) pulling at the leash, growling and barking - with a damn muzzle on him too! I had to leave the area since his dog was straining to get at Russell. Its because of people like that, we Valid Service Dog Owners get a bad rep! (ADA clearly states the dog can not display any sign of aggression whatsoever) Anyway......

Since receiving Russell in September 2012, I have spent every minute with him - 24/7 / 365 - which is surreal if you think about it. He was trained to ride on the front passenger Floor Board when in vehicles- which lessens the chance of him being thrown about the cockpit during an accident. However, when I do have a passenger, Russell rides in the back seat area which I have converted to his own personal traveling bedroom. I placed chair cushions in the seat buckets and covered them with two plush blankets. The Company "Ruff Wear" was kind to donate their Travel Harness which is specifically made for car travel with dogs. It has a loop which the seat belt goes thru and actually works quite well. It even enables a dog to turn around while in the seat too! Grooming your dog is absolutely essential - keeping their nails trimmed is vital to both their health, and our cars. I can proudly report that I do not have any scratches to my interior from Russell. When riding with a passenger he will stand outside the drivers side until given the command "Load" which he then jumps up onto my seat, touching the Center Console, and into the back. Though I cover this piece with a Microfiber Towel, there are no scratches to it at all. Before hitting Some folks just aren't "Dog People" and I understand that. However, many of us know the unbelievable bond created between man and dog, and that safely traveling with them should be a fun experience!

Semper Fidelis,

Gunny
Gonna be completely off tangent for once.
I like Russell.
Russell looks like a good boy.
That is all.
GunnyFitz (10-29-18)
Old 10-29-18, 08:50 AM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Semper Fidelis,

Gunny

Thank you for keeping a soldier cared for after service. Russell looks very happy and we are all happy here!
GunnyFitz (10-29-18)
Old 10-29-18, 09:53 AM
inknart123
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Semper Fidelis,

Gunny

Thanks! You and Russell seem to have it figured out . I think possibly training the dog up front to be comfortable in that area is a great idea. I think i'll do my best to train him between that area and the back seat with covers. I took my last dog in my RC Fsport and she had no problem in the back seat , but she was a great, very mellow dog. I'm hoping by training up from, my new puppy will become content with staying in the back without trying to force itself in the front seat. If I can do that with a way to just protect the suede on center consul i may be good.
Old 10-29-18, 10:04 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Cool the Good List

Hate to sound like a Marine, but.....

Training is vital to complete the mission. The "Puppie-Hood" portion will surely be the challenge for you my friend. Though extremely enjoyable, restlessness within a moving performance vehicle leads to nothing good whatsoever. Fortunately Russell is 99.99% compliant with many of the 80+ commands he was trained on. For kicks, or for anyone seeking to train a dog in the future, here are some basic Commands for just about anyone or any dog. Hope it helps someone.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Dog Commands.pdf (442.7 KB, 67 views)