RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

New rr intake heat shield

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 04:04 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts

Okay so I installed everything. I routed things slightly different than how other people or RR racing shows in the pictures.

I did not like mounting the horn right on the chassis considering that the nut was underneath the car. It's not a self locking nut so eventually would probably come loose. Plus it puts strain on the wire from that angle.

I modified the bracket by cutting the little notch that goes in the engine hole as a centering guide pin, then drilled a hole right above the factory hole (on the bracket, NOT the engine firewall). This enabled me to lower the bracket just slightly by about an inch. I then flip the bracket around. So now it mounts in the OEM hole on the chassis using the same bracket/bolt. It's just angled slightly different but is way more secure than mounting it top side per the directions.

The vacuum solenoid I mounted slightly different than what the directions stated. Instead of on the air box frame bolt, I mounted it to the right of that. That way I could retain the OEM wire management white clip so there was no strain on anything. All I did was snip the one side of the white little clip that goes on top of the air box frame, re-wrap with the tape after positioning the wire harness. Nothing is strained or will vibrate and break loose eventually. The carbon fiber heat shield still kind of fits like poo poo… Honestly I wish it could fit better or there's another way for a secure mounting point perhaps in the lower corner of the airbox.

-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 09-24-21 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 09:07 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I relocated my horn just like you did, Nigel. It's crazy that the instructions tell you to get inside the wheel well to install a nut from the bottom. We're more practical I guess.

Old 09-24-21, 06:36 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 782 Likes on 485 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by buister
I relocated my horn just like you did, Nigel. It's crazy that the instructions tell you to get inside the wheel well to install a nut from the bottom. We're more practical I guess.

Nice! Honestly to me that is a much cleaner look than mounting it right on the chassis! I would have mounted my solenoid like how you have it picture but because of my AVS it would have been hitting it and the wire strain is something I didn't want.

I think they should revise their directions honestly. That way one keeps the OEM bracket for the horn in place. It's actually much easier to me than getting under the wheel and blindly tightening the nut. I noticed when I did it this way the first time you could still move the horn since the nut doesn't get as tight up under the car compared to the bracket.

-Nigel