RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Need help choosing the right drop for the car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 11:22 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Need help choosing the right drop for the car.

Hey guys,
About 5 years ago I had a is350 lowered on f sport springs for a couple of months and swapped to bc coilovers and loved it.
In the same dilemma with the RCF but I don't know if I should get coils for the 2017 RCF model since none of the coils out there are compatible with the avs on the car. I have 2 ways of doing this.

1. Get swift springs and pray it will not blow out my struts but retain the 3 way driving modes
2. Get penske rr coilovers ( this will disable the eco and sports mode of the car)

Last question.

1. I love my wheels and feel like with a drop, the wheels and overall appearance of the car can look a lot better. Is this the case?
2. How does these wheel look on the car? Never got any feedback on the forum so just wanted to know your opinions.

Thanks!

Old 10-31-18, 05:49 AM
MisterEun
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spam89
Hey guys,
About 5 years ago I had a is350 lowered on f sport springs for a couple of months and swapped to bc coilovers and loved it.
In the same dilemma with the RCF but I don't know if I should get coils for the 2017 RCF model since none of the coils out there are compatible with the avs on the car. I have 2 ways of doing this.

1. Get swift springs and pray it will not blow out my struts but retain the 3 way driving modes
2. Get penske rr coilovers ( this will disable the eco and sports mode of the car)

Last question.

1. I love my wheels and feel like with a drop, the wheels and overall appearance of the car can look a lot better. Is this the case?
2. How does these wheel look on the car? Never got any feedback on the forum so just wanted to know your opinions.

Thanks!
Swift won't blow out your shocks for around 10k miles if you aren't tracking.
AVS isn't all it's propped up to be, an adjustable coilover set to your preferences may be a better fit.
Ultimately it depends on your driving style and comfort preference as well as how long you plan to keep the car.

Drop always looks better.
Wheels look good, as most 5 Y spokes do for this car.
Just not sold on the color.
Personally I think it's the orange calipers that steals the attention.
Just my $0.02.
Old 10-31-18, 09:54 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Just curious but how do the RR Penske coils disable the Eco/Sport mode on the car?
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (11-01-18)
Old 10-31-18, 10:41 AM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
Just curious but how do the RR Penske coils disable the Eco/Sport mode on the car?
I also don't understand how RR Penske will disable the Eco/Sport mode. The engine mapping and transmission characteristics should still function as per whatever mode you are in. You will only lose the suspension settings but when you install RR Penske the need for those suspension settings are irrelevant. What you will get is the best handling RCF regardless of what mode you are in.
GunnyFitz (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 04:51 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

IMHO- your awesome car looks absolutely fine the way it is there in photo! I'd leave it alone personally. (Cant tell you how many times I've had people say that I desperately need to lower the front end of my F, and put their fist thru the open space over the front wheel. As it is, I often rub my front end on things such as steep driveways, some speed bumps, and even an occasional parking curb. Ive never been a fan of slamming a car and just feel hesitant on doing anything to mine. For now I'll just keep looking at pics like yours!
Old 11-01-18, 10:29 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

please dont blow your struts if you go to low you might hit a curb with blown struts please dont loose control blown struts could just blow sometimes when they are blown
Z3NK1 (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 01:17 PM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I love my Penske's and still get a thrill out of the different driving modes. The ride is great and there is a ton of adjustability to suit your height needs.
Old 11-02-18, 04:38 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool Please Elaborate....

Originally Posted by hwcustoms
I love my Penske's and still get a thrill out of the different driving modes. The ride is great and there is a ton of adjustability to suit your height needs.
I hear this all the time and perhaps need some sort of detailed information. How does one "Adjust" their Suspension to all of these Heights? Manually - on top of the Coil Over/Shock Strut? As stated earlier by someone else - doing this on 2017+ Models can result in some form of Electrical problem with the AVS system or something? I used to adjust both Front & Rear Suspension Components on my last Ducati (Utilizing a number of buttons and keys on dashboard/Handlebars) So I guess Im asking exactly "how" does tweak the suspension to different ride height settings?

***This week I had these monsters mounted, along with top of the line Shocks from Bilstein. During the unreal readouts on the Alignment Machine - certain measures had to be done so that the Camber, Castor and Toe were all properly set up. I assume its all relative in a way to whats done "Post Coil Overs" as well?

Old 11-02-18, 09:04 AM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

@GunnyFitz To answer your question on coilover adjustments.....the ride height is set by the collar on the strut sleeve. Where some people go wrong wrong is try and adjust the height via the spring pre-load sleeve, which just ****s things up horribly lol. I spent 7 years in the "Stance Game" and even though it looks bad ***, it just isn't functional half the time. Especially with having all that HP under your bootie, id rather not have to worry about a leaf in the road LOL. Here are a few pics of my last passion (AKA - Headache)

GunnyFitz (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 10:01 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Car looks great Topher and a lot of useful info there.

Sorry Gunny i should have elaborated more. Coilovers boil down to convenience, performance and adjustment.

From the get go a coilover is easier to install because it replaces the entire spring and strut assembly. No need to break apart strut and spring assemblies then remount a lowering spring to the strut. The nice thing about Penskes is they are a true coilovers so one assembly goes in the rear.

From a ride height standpoint you are limited when you just go with springs. If it lowers the car an inch, that's your height. You might then have to adjust tire size, wheel size and offset to fit within the specs of that certain drop. There is no changing the height to compensate. Coilovers offer you a chance to easily move the height in small or large increments to get your desired stance. Also if you have a slight rub, come up an 1/8th of an inch or whatever you need. As Topher said good coils will allow you to move the spring along the body and then relock in place. You shouldn't have to compress the spring to get your desired heights. Better quality coils are much easier to maintain and manage.

Also a good set of coilovers will come with a matching strut assembly that compliments the extra compression from lowering. With a shorter strut or a body that adjusts heights, all that pressure is not transferred to the strut. With just springs the shock can takes the brunt if compressed to much. Most coilovers also offer a dampening feature for their struts. This allows you to adjust the stiffness of the strut to your liking for daily use to track use with the turn of a ****.

Then from a performance standpoint Penskes and others are proven to take more abuse and hold up on the track and over time. Not saying you have to track, but you know the durability is there. One of those things when you buy cheap, you sometimes get cheap quality in return. All the testing RRR did and still do let me know they were a solid product for my F. Lots of options out there, just do the homework and make the car fit to your taste.

Last edited by Burch_RCF; 11-02-18 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-02-18, 10:33 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 691 Likes on 608 Posts

Swift Springs.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
GunnyFitz (11-05-18)
Old 11-02-18, 10:58 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Swift Springs.

-Josh

Got my wheels yet?

[quietly hijacks thread for a moment]
Meraki Autoworks (11-03-18)
Old 11-02-18, 11:51 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I hear this all the time and perhaps need some sort of detailed information. How does one "Adjust" their Suspension to all of these Heights? Manually - on top of the Coil Over/Shock Strut? As stated earlier by someone else - doing this on 2017+ Models can result in some form of Electrical problem with the AVS system or something? I used to adjust both Front & Rear Suspension Components on my last Ducati (Utilizing a number of buttons and keys on dashboard/Handlebars) So I guess Im asking exactly "how" does tweak the suspension to different ride height settings?

***This week I had these monsters mounted, along with top of the line Shocks from Bilstein. During the unreal readouts on the Alignment Machine - certain measures had to be done so that the Camber, Castor and Toe were all properly set up. I assume its all relative in a way to whats done "Post Coil Overs" as well?
Hey Gunny,

For height adjustment on coils, there's a collar on the strut that you can use to set your height. As for what Topher said, it's fairly accurate. I personally don't like to mess with preload but it's very rare that each corner is exactly the same. Preload does not affect your spring rates so you can use the preload to adjust height to a small extent as I've had friends who track their cars do that without issues (it's easier to just quickly adjust it through preload than pop out the bottom of the strut). That being said, I still recommend what Topher said and adjust it through the collar.

Our cars also have AVS. The drive modes - ECO/Sport/Sport+ are still retained because all those modes simply adjust the transmission characteristics with the exception of Sport+ stiffening the suspension. You will lose that feature but if you're running Penskes you don't need to worry about that LOL
GunnyFitz (11-02-18)
Old 11-02-18, 12:04 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thanks for helping me understand guys. Means a lot , however I thinkI'll be keeping mine as is -stock.
Old 11-03-18, 12:22 PM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Thanks for helping me understand guys. Means a lot , however I thinkI'll be keeping mine as is -stock.
Smart Choice Gunny! Our RCF's stock height is pretty moderate compared to other Sport coupes out there......

Quick Reply: Need help choosing the right drop for the car.