RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18 | 06:01 AM
liro
Driver School Candidate

Default Winter Storage

Hey guys, just wondering how are you all storing your RCF in terms of the battery? I live in a shared garage with no outlets so I have to:

a) buy a battery operated trickle charger or tender or;
b) take out the battery and connect to battery tender at home

I'm leaning towards b) because I already have the charger at home that connects to the outlet. I just wanted an opinion on whether or not it would be advisable to remove the battery from the car for storage (losing ECU settings and have to relearn my driving, radiocodes?).

Thanks!
Old 11-21-18 | 06:17 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

I am also in a shared underground heated parking garage with no outlets. I inflate the tires to 42 psi (to avoid flat spots) and fill the car up completely with premium gas with some stabilizer in it. I usually start it up every 3 weeks and let it idle for about 20 - 25 minutes while I work on cleaning it. It worked OK last winter so I will be doing the same this year.

Old 11-21-18 | 10:44 AM
liro
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I am also in a shared underground heated parking garage with no outlets. I inflate the tires to 42 psi (to avoid flat spots) and fill the car up completely with premium gas with some stabilizer in it. I usually start it up every 3 weeks and let it idle for about 20 - 25 minutes while I work on cleaning it. It worked OK last winter so I will be doing the same this year.

I don't intend to start her up until early March in order to avoid tank condensation since without driving, the engine will hardly get warm. I have aired up my tires to 47 PSI (4 from Michelins max) and wood planks.

I called Lexus and they said it would be okay to remove the battery. Just wanted to see if anyone in the community has removed theirs.

Cheers
Old 11-21-18 | 09:15 PM
Roche
Driver

Luckily I have power and just leave the battery in with a battery tender hooked up. I also bought some rigid foam insulation to out under the tires to prevent flat spots and it works well to conform to the curve of the tires while still supporting the car. Also fuel stabilizer and I don't find I need to run it during the winter but maybe will start it up once for 20 mins or so then let it dry out before putting the cover back on.