RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Now i get "they won't fit over the caliper"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-18, 10:41 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by airlaird
No your spot on..but yes the new wheels were test fitted and barely cleared the caliper...but let's not exaggerate the grinding...it is would be impossible to affect the integrity of the caliper with less than 3/16 of metal shaved off the tip. Secondly after 2 attempts with 2 separate wheel vendors on 2 purchases and 8 months of waiting for them to ship....yeah..I wanted something in place of the busiest BBS wheels I have ever seen on a sports car...;-)
.airlaird
I'm not fond off those wheels either. In fact I don't really like any of the current RCF OEM wheels. But, I do like the base '15,'16 BBS stock wheels. So much so that I have 'em on my ISF. What theman posted is correct. I like the quality of OEM BBS wheels and the fact the bore is correct for the vehicle.

Lou
The following users liked this post:
bakalag (04-26-19)
Old 11-26-18, 01:30 PM
TOPHER9425
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

@flowrider I couldn't agree more with you on the base 15+ wheels......I have them on my Ultra White RCF, and love them
Old 11-26-18, 02:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,989 Likes on 2,414 Posts

The part that spooks me is Brembo chose a size and designed the brakes to be that size. They are keenly aware they are an unsprung weight component, so I really doubt they put an extra 3/16" of aluminum on top. This is not a path I would choose. I would find a wheel of the design I wanted and make sure the manufacturer can make it fit without modifying a critical path component between me and and disaster.

I would buy a different caliper before I would grind on one.
The following 3 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
Davew77 (11-26-18), Lammyyy (11-26-18), tekjunke (04-24-19)
Old 11-26-18, 07:08 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
The part that spooks me is Brembo chose a size and designed the brakes to be that size. They are keenly aware they are an unsprung weight component, so I really doubt they put an extra 3/16" of aluminum on top. This is not a path I would choose. I would find a wheel of the design I wanted and make sure the manufacturer can make it fit without modifying a critical path component between me and and disaster.

I would buy a different caliper before I would grind on one.
This was my thought as well. I was just waiting for someone else to say it.
Old 11-29-18, 02:39 PM
JBooGieRCF
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Daring move, hope it works out for you. It may not be just the length, if the offset isn't right, the spokes could hit the face and not allow the wheel to mount. This pic is a 20x10 +30 that just barely cleared the caliper
uh....for me this is scary...I just bought that same size offset (different wheel) from Vertini....
Old 11-29-18, 02:49 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JBooGieRCF
uh....for me this is scary...I just bought that same size offset (different wheel) from Vertini....
I couldn't get that wheel to work. I had a 275/30 on it and it chewed up my fender liners. I also poked out past the fender about 3/8". They didn't offer 9.5, so I ended up replacing it with 9x20+30 with a 255/30 and fit is much better., but I lost the concave look of the wheel. I am on stock suspension, if you are lowered or go with 265/30, it may work out better.
Old 11-29-18, 02:52 PM
JBooGieRCF
Rookie

Originally Posted by SoSlow
I couldn't get that wheel to work. I had a 275/30 on it and it chewed up my fender liners. I also poked out past the fender about 3/8". They didn't offer 9.5, so I ended up replacing it with 9x20+30 with a 255/30 and fit is much better., but I lost the concave look of the wheel. I am on stock suspension, if you are lowered or go with 265/30, it may work out better.
I HAD to have the concavity!!! So I got the 20x10. But I'm going to have to run a small stretch. I'm going to do 255/35/20 but I'm going to be on air....so we shall see
Old 11-29-18, 03:36 PM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

im so lost on why the top of the caliper was hitting your wheel?
Old 11-29-18, 04:45 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JBooGieRCF
I HAD to have the concavity!!! So I got the 20x10. But I'm going to have to run a small stretch. I'm going to do 255/35/20 but I'm going to be on air....so we shall see
You'll have to run 30 sidewall in front for sure otherwise you WILL rub according to people running air with even less aggressive fitment than 20x10 +30 front. You may also want to consider running a little more stretch but might not be all necessary.

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
im so lost on why the top of the caliper was hitting your wheel?
He purchased 19in wheels which won't clear the brakes because of the diameter of the wheel. I ran into this issue when I was looking for aftermarket 19in wheels because our brakes are huge. There are still wheels that can clear but I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones they were aside from the TE37 and a few custom sets.

Last edited by Lammyyy; 11-29-18 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 06:02 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
You'll have to run 30 sidewall in front for sure otherwise you WILL rub according to people running air with even less aggressive fitment than 20x10 +30 front. You may also want to consider running a little more stretch but might not be all necessary.

He purchased 19in wheels which won't clear the brakes because of the diameter of the wheel. I ran into this issue when I was looking for aftermarket 19in wheels because our brakes are huge. There are still wheels that can clear but I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones they were aside from the TE37 and a few custom sets.
oh i go it Diameter !
Old 04-24-19, 04:39 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts
Thumbs down Resurrected ....

Originally Posted by airlaird
Hey Jon! Honestly, all the forged wheels in 19's were "not going to fit over my calipers"...I was so sick of hearing this. Stance, Rohanna in 19's were 6-7 months in waiting... Jon When I saw your wheels I wanted those..but guess what..... they would "not fit over the caliper".. ;-) Every wheel company was pushing 20" wheels but Im not going to buy new 20" tires when my 19" Michelins are new. Anyway I bought the Niche M204 VOSSO's in anthracite. I'll post those this week once they are put on..P.S. I'm Selling my pristine OEM wheels if anyone needs any ;-)
airlaird
Sorry to bring this issue up AGAIN - but when I read Airlairds words I literally laughed out loud because it is exactly what Im faced with right meow! All of those "Car Configurators" that supposedly pull up all the wheels that are "Guaranteed Fit" (CarID) in 19" sizing is total BS. To be specific - Its the "Drop Center" that will not clear the Calipers on our F, and despite it showing you the Stock Sizes-they will NOT fit. **I DO NOT WANT 20s ANYMORE** - my brand new Ace Alloy 20" Wheel and MPS4S Tire arrived yesterday-which will be going up for sale everywhere I can post em. Not sure how I feel about shaving metal off my Calipers (More power to ya Airlaird!)

Bottom line. Every great name brand wheel in a 19" Diameter wont fit our cars (Except these horrible looking OEM ones!) Unless someone out there has an answer????
Old 04-24-19, 09:01 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
Sorry to bring this issue up AGAIN - but when I read Airlairds words I literally laughed out loud because it is exactly what Im faced with right meow! All of those "Car Configurators" that supposedly pull up all the wheels that are "Guaranteed Fit" (CarID) in 19" sizing is total BS. To be specific - Its the "Drop Center" that will not clear the Calipers on our F, and despite it showing you the Stock Sizes-they will NOT fit. **I DO NOT WANT 20s ANYMORE** - my brand new Ace Alloy 20" Wheel and MPS4S Tire arrived yesterday-which will be going up for sale everywhere I can post em. Not sure how I feel about shaving metal off my Calipers (More power to ya Airlaird!)

Bottom line. Every great name brand wheel in a 19" Diameter wont fit our cars (Except these horrible looking OEM ones!) Unless someone out there has an answer????
1. You could get smaller calipers...but I would hate to downsize from those Brembos.
2. Coilovers to adjust your ride height up so you could fit a tire on your Ace Alloys that has a larger aspect ratio?? Might be weird...
3. Spacers to move hub out to clear room for the calipers from the drop center....would not think you would need much of a spacer.

The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-24-19)
Old 04-24-19, 09:28 AM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

OMG,
Old 04-24-19, 09:41 AM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

spacers or get a different offset. I used to have paper clearance on my brake caliper back when i had my IS F.
Old 04-24-19, 10:11 AM
Driver

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

So, this thread was started back in November...I just want to know if the wheels ended up fitting and if the paint on the calipers has held up, or if there have been any issues as a result of the grinding?

Quick Reply: Now i get "they won't fit over the caliper"