RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Now i get "they won't fit over the caliper"

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-18, 11:11 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Now i get "they won't fit over the caliper"

So, let me begin by explaining my ignorance. Several wheel companies have told me the wheels I have chosen won't "fit over the caliper". Being a very "visual" person I could not picture what they meant by this. So..this picture is the factory wheel which obviously fits over the top of the caliper. My new wheels which arrive next week were going to rub on the very "tip" of the caliper. This pic is AFTER my grinding was complete...

Last edited by airlaird; 11-24-18 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 11:38 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

So in order to fit the wheel over the top of the caliper, I had to grind off about 3/16th of an inch.
Old 11-24-18, 11:54 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

About 3/16th shaved off....now to paint the exposed metal.

Sooo....I taped of the exposed area and used black high heat paint and brushed it on...then on to the orange paint

So check this out.....this enamel paint was 4 bucks and matched the caliper Exactly!. I painted over the black high heat paint and then clear coated it....

Voila! Now I know the paint MAY flake off but after a week of driving...it has not flaked off...I am very confident this paint will stay on because I clear coated over it. So my new wheels arrive on Monday and they will now fit OVER the top part of the caliper...I hope....;-)

Sorry for the multiple replies to this thread. I am still figuring out how to post pics...

-Airlaird

Last edited by airlaird; 11-24-18 at 12:12 PM.
Old 11-24-18, 04:01 PM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

What wheels did you get? I painted my calipers with a porsche body paint and have had no issues with flaking. You should be good man.
Old 11-25-18, 04:44 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Hey Jon! Honestly, all the forged wheels in 19's were "not going to fit over my calipers"...I was so sick of hearing this. Stance, Rohanna in 19's were 6-7 months in waiting... Jon When I saw your wheels I wanted those..but guess what..... they would "not fit over the caliper".. ;-) Every wheel company was pushing 20" wheels but Im not going to buy new 20" tires when my 19" Michelins are new. Anyway I bought the Niche M204 VOSSO's in anthracite. I'll post those this week once they are put on..
P.S. I'm Selling my pristine OEM wheels if anyone needs any ;-)
airlaird

Last edited by airlaird; 11-25-18 at 07:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (04-24-19)
Old 11-25-18, 05:39 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,348 Posts

^^^^There are three styles of OEM wheels. You may want to specify which ones you have. Well actually four since the base wheels were changed in 2017.

Lou
Old 11-25-18, 06:05 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Daring move, hope it works out for you. It may not be just the length, if the offset isn't right, the spokes could hit the face and not allow the wheel to mount. This pic is a 20x10 +30 that just barely cleared the caliper
Old 11-25-18, 07:00 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Those wheels will look great.
Old 11-25-18, 07:38 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Well I need to put them in the Market place section..but its the multi spoke. Also Soslow..I test fit them for the offsets it was close but they spun freely..hey they are guaranteed to fit thru discount tire so I have that as well...
Old 11-25-18, 11:26 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SoSlow
Daring move, hope it works out for you. It may not be just the length, if the offset isn't right, the spokes could hit the face and not allow the wheel to mount. This pic is a 20x10 +30 that just barely cleared the caliper
It's not only about the offset, you also have to pay attention to disk/face type of wheels.

For example, lets take the stock wheel sizes:

19x9 +50 w/ high pad/disk (which they are from factory) - Will clear big brakes
19x9 +50 w/ low pad/disk (aftermarket) - May not clear big brakes even though the size specs are same as factory, you might need to run spacers to clear.

In your case, your specific wheel 20x10 +30, barely cleared. Your 20x10 +30 wheel spokes are deeper towards the center of the wheel, looks like its equivalent to a "low disk". This makes the wheel look more deeper/concave towards the middle because the wheel has less padding from the hub, but lucky for you, it barely cleared. But on TE37 Ultra 20x10 +30, you will have more clearance for brakes due to the face type of the wheel as they designed to clear bigger brakes on performance cars.

So high pad/disk means, you get more "padding" from where the wheel meets the hub, in turn, gives you more space for your calipers. This is why you have to pay attention to the face/disk types to make sure you have brake clearance.

GunnyFitz (04-24-19)
Old 11-25-18, 06:08 PM
TRANC3
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You're a braver man than me, grinding away part of the cars critical controls. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 11-25-18, 06:30 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANC3
You're a braver man than me, grinding away part of the cars critical controls. Hope it all works out for you.
+1 on grinding the brakes! Hopefully it doesn't damage anything especially on such a crucial part of the car.

I wanted to run 19s before also but almost every company told me that 3pc 19in will not clear calipers due to how big they are. Unfortunate but I ended up ordering 20s!
JBooGieRCF (11-29-18)
Old 11-26-18, 04:45 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Well...it's just painted metal ground down a bit...no harm done except psychologically ......it was hard to do. The pain of doing that to my caliper has dissipated because the paint matched perfectly ...
airlaird
Old 11-26-18, 09:00 AM
theman
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I must be missing the point here... you bought 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 cast wheels they weigh a couple more pounds each, to fit stock sized tires you already have on the stock 19x9 & 19x10 oem forged BBS (each wheel costs about as much as your entire cast replacement wheelset) wheels you're taking off? To make this happen before you had the wheels here to even test fit, and against the manufacturer recommendation, you ground down areas of your very well built and spec'd brembo calipers?
If you were selling the stock wheels anyway, why not just sell the tires with them and buy all new with a more aggressive width for at least a slight improvement somewhere in all of this? And you could test fit the new wheels when they actually get here before grinding a critical system of your car...
PS. that wheel style is available elsewhere in a roll formed forged-like process in much better widths if you're really stuck on the look.
Old 11-26-18, 09:54 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

No your spot on..but yes the new wheels were test fitted and barely cleared the caliper...but let's not exaggerate the grinding...it is would be impossible to affect the integrity of the caliper with less than 3/16 of metal shaved off the tip. Secondly after 2 attempts with 2 separate wheel vendors on 2 purchases and 8 months of waiting for them to ship....yeah..I wanted something in place of the busiest BBS wheels I have ever seen on a sports car...;-)
.airlaird

Quick Reply: Now i get "they won't fit over the caliper"