RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

DIY Battery Replacement on 2015 RC F

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 09:42 AM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DIY Battery Replacement on 2015 RC F

It’s been a while since I posted on this board.
I am planning to replace the battery on my 2015 RC F.
Anything unusual that I need to be aware of, or it is merely disconnect the cables, negative first, clean the connections and reconnect the cables, negative last?
Some have said to put a battery tender on the cables during this process so I don’t lose the radio presets. Has anyone doe this?
Will there be any issues with the windows or the window indexing if everything is totally disconnected during the battery replacement?
Any input or advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
Old 11-29-18, 10:12 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I had my battery replaced twice by the dealership after it died multiple times (as I noted in your other thread). never did I lose any presets when the battery died or was replaced.

I do know however that removing the battery or having it die with result in the system completely reloading not just rebooting, the whole computer system.

in one case for me, I removed the battery and placed it on a charger for several hours, when I put it back the system reloaded but the car had a horribly rough idle and would not shift out of 2nd gear. I disconnected the battery for several minutes and reconnected forcing another system load and the issues went away.

Dealership told me they use one of these when they change out batteries to prevent that issue:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0154-DL-Connector-Maintainers/dp/B007KJ2RZK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543515172&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+tender+obd

I bought one, works on any car with an ODBII port.
Old 11-29-18, 01:50 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The only loss I have witnessed after replacing my battery at the dealer was I lost my saved g-force records. My seat presets and the data stored in my nav system were still there. I don't know if they used a tender or not. My old battery had a bad cell and wouldn't hold a charge anymore. But it still had enough power to turn on the dash lights. So it never completely died.
Old 11-29-18, 02:03 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 345 Likes on 227 Posts

I put an Optima in mine in my garage. The Optima's don't fit so I had to make a custom spacer. Worked fine zero issues. I can't remember if anything had to be reset.
Old 12-01-18, 04:01 PM
EGLIDE
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced the battery today in my 2015 RCF.
I used one of those devices that I plugged into my cigarette lighter so I wouldn’t be totally without power during the swap-out. Seems to have worked well.
Getting the old battery out and the new one in was not too bad, but it took some time to figure out the hold-down clamp, part of which slipped out of view when I took the top piece off.
Other than that, not a bad DIY project.
My old battery still had life to it, but going in to the car’s 5th winter here in NJ was not worth the risk.

The following users liked this post:
bob67 (12-04-18)
Old 01-16-21, 04:33 PM
BAMcGregor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi-
I'm new to the forum and couldn't see any replies to your question about DIY replacement of the RC-350F battery. I'm trying to do that task now, and cant figure out how to get the plastic battery cage out. It's most certainly NOT a case of disconnecting the cables and lifting it out!
Can you help?
Thanks, Bruce
Old 01-16-21, 04:53 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMcGregor
Hi-
I'm new to the forum and couldn't see any replies to your question about DIY replacement of the RC-350F battery. I'm trying to do that task now, and cant figure out how to get the plastic battery cage out. It's most certainly NOT a case of disconnecting the cables and lifting it out!
Can you help?
Thanks, Bruce
RC350/300/200t forum would be the right place for your question..
Old 10-31-21, 08:23 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMcGregor
Hi-
Can you help?
Thanks, Bruce
Just replaced my battery today. It was a little PITA to figure out since I thought it was simply unscrewing few bolts and lifting out.
You need press those tabs to loosen two metal brackets attached to the plastic cage. Secure, but totally unnecessary imo.
Old 10-31-21, 09:07 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,477 Likes on 1,782 Posts

Originally Posted by stvincent
Just replaced my battery today. It was a little PITA to figure out since I thought it was simply unscrewing few bolts and lifting out.
You need press those tabs to loosen two metal brackets attached to the plastic cage. Secure, but totally unnecessary imo.
When I installed my AntiGravity lightweight battery, the only thing that was frustrating was opening one of the two plastic tabs. One opened rather easily, but the one on the side got damaged in the process while trying to free up the cage. Otherwise, the installation was super easy and quick.
Old 10-31-21, 11:51 AM
SUNNYRCF
Pit Crew

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I reset my car by unplugging the battery after I installed my Invidia exhaust and I didn't lose any presets (radio, seats, etc)
I used one of those devices that I plugged into my cigarette lighter when I cleaned my terminals and it did not save anything more than just unplugging the battery completely. Probably a waste of $ to buy or use one of those.
Old 10-31-21, 01:16 PM
SailorTPD
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have one of those portable jump starters ( there are cheaper ones than this...
Amazon Amazon
) you can just attach the jump start cables to the car terminals before removing those from the battery you are replacing. That saved everything on my Lexus es350. I wish there were more options for Li Ion battery replacements. I did that replacement on my BMW motorcycle (generic) and no longer have to use a trickle charger through the winter and its lasted 5 years longer than the OEM piece of trash--yah, I had to modify the place where it is stored on the bike since it is SO much smaller and lighter. After my RCF is out of warranty I will probably do something similar since I don't expect to drive this car very much in the winter.
Old 12-22-21, 03:33 AM
vannerpham
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2015 GS350 radio and SD card also broke when my battery died. When trying to start the car with the dead battery, the whole car and infotainment system hysterically flickers. After going to the dealer, will cost about $3500 to replace the radio. This is absurd that this is happening! Have been a lifelong Toyota/Lexus owner and am so disappointed that this is happening for such a common scenario. I'm so scared that the radio will break again when the battery dies again in a few years. So frustrating. Can I get a show of hands this is happening to? Wondering if we can collectively band together and get Lexus to fix this defect.
Old 11-07-23, 04:37 PM
pakris
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is the current battery that I have that is not holding a full charge. The last test was 11.7 and it's 3 1/2 years old.
Also, maybe a higher minute reserve capacity would be a battery I should look for.

Old 11-07-23, 04:42 PM
pakris
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vannerpham
My 2015 GS350 radio and SD card also broke when my battery died. When trying to start the car with the dead battery, the whole car and infotainment system hysterically flickers. After going to the dealer, will cost about $3500 to replace the radio. This is absurd that this is happening! Have been a lifelong Toyota/Lexus owner and am so disappointed that this is happening for such a common scenario. I'm so scared that the radio will break again when the battery dies again in a few years. So frustrating. Can I get a show of hands this is happening to? Wondering if we can collectively band together and get Lexus to fix this defect.
I don't even use the radio and the cd player doesn't play. sigh
I'll be grateful to have it drive again without the VSC lights coming on and not allowing the car to start
again until I get out and disconnect the battery to clear the light.