RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F Track edition??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-19, 02:51 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,338 Posts

To my eyes, the wheels look a lot like the base wheel of the 2015 and 2016 RCF, a wheel I like a lot. The rotors are drilled not slotted. I guess the carbon ceramic material does not like slots

Lou
Old 01-14-19, 03:35 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMV8
power increase is not "nonexistent." Peak increase of 5hp or 6ftlbs at 6k rpms for one moment means close to nothing if there's increases of 20hp across the whole rev range, FYI.
launch control seems promising too. this is how the RCF should've debuted.
I agree that it should've came out like this. I love my RC-F as much as the next guy, but for those of us who already own the RC-F, 467 to 472 is not exactly something to write home about - that was the point of my "pretty much non-existent" comment (considering a non restrictive exhaust nets us 15-20 whp). Also, do you really think they'd get near 20hp over the curve with an intake upgrade? If they did, how they would go about that is what I'd like to know so we can replicate/do something similar it with our RC-F (otherwise I'd say it's more like 5hp across the range). It's very clear that the Track Edition RC-F is focused on weight and suspension. Sato himself even stated that the power jump was very modest...

That being said, it is still one hell of a beast car and I would love to have one. Just a shame it took them this long to do it.

Last edited by Lammyyy; 01-14-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 04:02 PM
Spam89
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Still worth it to go from a base rcf to track edition for the rarity? Guess it would appreciate?
Old 01-14-19, 04:05 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
I agree that it should've came out like this. I love my RC-F as much as the next guy, but for those of us who already own the RC-F, 467 to 472 is not exactly something to write home about - that was the point of my "pretty much non-existent" comment (considering a non restrictive exhaust nets us 15-20 whp). Also, do you really think they'd get near 20hp over the curve with an intake upgrade? If they did, how they would go about that is what I'd like to know so we can replicate/do something similar it with our RC-F (otherwise I'd say it's more like 5hp across the range). It's very clear that the Track Edition RC-F is focused on weight and suspension. Sato himself even stated that the power jump was very modest...

That being said, it is still one hell of a beast car and I would love to have one. Just a shame it took them this long to do it.
That is what i am interested in knowing as well. I think some things we are able to do but some not...

From LEXUS press release:
It’s now rated at 472 horsepower (+5hp) and 395 pound feet of torque (+6 lb ft) thanks to a revised intake routing and lower rpm trigger point for the secondary intake opening (2,800 rpm vs 3,600rpm). An eight-speed automatic transmission carries over, but a higher final drive ratio (3.13 vs 2.93) has been installed to improve off-the-line response

I'm pretty sure getting the secondary intake to open at 2800 is a simple ECU tune, but am curios to about the revised Intake routing? Also Suspension weight reduction (via the Wheels/Brake/Rotors & Exhaust can be done aftermarket), so as to installing the better engine mounts.
For non Track edition vehicles, I doubt you can add the launch control, change the final drive ratio or any of the other weight reductions Lexus did.

Last edited by finny76; 01-14-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 07:27 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 315 Likes on 173 Posts

The only thing I think you would not be able to do on regular RCF is launch control. Everything else, after market readily available to make the regular RCF far superior to the Track edition.

I bet you that titanium exhaust is a Tom's exhaust, suspension could potentially be Tom's too.
Old 01-14-19, 07:50 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

That’s exactly the type of diffuser I’m looking for right now for my RCF. But no one makes one similar....
Old 01-14-19, 08:20 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

The front diffuser looks exactly like the current Tom's front diffuser for standard RCF. I suspect plenty of collaboration happened between Lexus and Tom's racing for the track edition.
Old 01-14-19, 08:26 PM
BlueRCF10
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

If anyone knows of a similar rear diffuser let me know.
Old 01-14-19, 08:36 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

The more I examine this track edition the more I see Tom's racing hand prints all over it. Lexus was actually pretty lazy not much contribution on their part other than the front fascia. Lol
Old 01-14-19, 08:41 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BlueRCF10
If anyone knows of a similar rear diffuser let me know.
Wait till Summer and you will be able to order it from Toyota. Be ready to dig deep in your pocket
Old 01-14-19, 09:00 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 145 Posts

i think the track edition was definitely as of now a success for lexus, at least they broke out of the 4 second range for an RCF and it competes much better with the M4 and such i’m proud of what they’ve done. i don’t think i’d get one without the triple beams though it looks awkward on that blue RCF imo without them
Old 01-14-19, 09:01 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

I guess, my next tires will be these RCF-spec MPS4S tires. Apparently, they made it a lot more grip and handling focused than our marshmallow MPSS tires

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 01-14-19 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 09:19 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

4S is a huge improvement. I'm already on my second sets. From standstill they grip, hard to spin them. Am sure you gain at least a tenth of a second 0-60.

Though most important of all, you hardly get any roll over on those sidewalls. I remember in 2015 when I watched Randy Pobst with the RCF on the racetrack and I winched watching the RCF literally rollover the tire sidewalls, looked like the rims were ready to pop out.

Another interesting observation you hardly get that pop on the steering wheel most people complain about in cold weather when you turn the steering wheel at slow speeds.
The following users liked this post:
LRCSALES (01-15-19)
Old 01-14-19, 09:39 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Yeah, I hate the stock MPSS tires. Too soft for my taste. My other set of MPSS on my daily driver, is XL rated and they actually are much stiffer than the RCF MPSS LOL

Hopefully, these RCF-spec MPS4S would be a huge improvement over the stock MPSS.

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
4S is a huge improvement. I'm already on my second sets. From standstill they grip, hard to spin them. Am sure you gain at least a tenth of a second 0-60.

Though most important of all, you hardly get any roll over on those sidewalls. I remember in 2015 when I watched Randy Pobst with the RCF on the racetrack and I winched watching the RCF literally rollover the tire sidewalls, looked like the rims were ready to pop out.

Another interesting observation you hardly get that pop on the steering wheel most people complain about in cold weather when you turn the steering wheel at slow speeds.
Old 01-14-19, 10:35 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I guess the thing I'm wondering about now is cost... I do think it would have been great if they'd given more of a bump, and I think a few thousand over list would make it a deal, particularly since buying some of the parts alone would be pricey. That said, it'll be interesting to see how if fares in tests.

Quick Reply: RC F Track edition??