RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Michelin VS Toyo

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18 | 03:00 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

The Toyo Proxes 4+ are all season. I know, I have them. But, I live just south of Chicago and want to be able to drive my car from Nov to May. That is more than half a year that temps drop below 40 and summer tires don't work so well at that point. If I was in S Cal, I would got with P4S. I know that I am giving up performance for convenience. I've done the winter \ summer setup before. I ran Potenza SO-4 in the summer and Blizzak in the winter on my last car. I don't feel like the hassling with storing the wheels, swapping out twice a year, getting the tpms linked twice a year.... I don't daily the car and even with proper tires, it doesn't come out with snow on the road or even slush\salt. I've only put a couple hundred miles on them, and non all that spirited. They do keep traction better in the cold and I don't find them noisy at all. I find now that it is cold (10-30) the tires will flat spot after only a couple days, so I have bumped the pressure to 38 and it has helped. In my case, it's just more convenient and an UHP summer tire is overkill for the 3-4 times a year that I get out and really push the car. I don't street race or track the car. The main reason I choose Proxes 4+, they were the only UHP A/S that came in 295/30/20. I was originally going to go with Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
Old 12-11-18 | 05:40 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Cool Toyo v Pilots

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I've finally pushed my tires to the max, as I'm coming up on 30K miles on my stock Michelin Pilot SS. I was about to order the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but the tire shop was telling me those are actually cheap tires. I was shocked! He said the Toyo Proxes 4+ is a better made tire and will last longer. Now I'm thinking when he says better, does he mean just last longer or better performing.

Out here in Southern California, I noticed most tire shops push for Toyo. Granted, they are made in Japan and Michilin are made in the US so that does say something on quality, respectively. I'm just curious if anybody else was running the Toyo Proxes 4+. I remember we talked about this in another thread, and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a solid performing tire.

Cheers,
Great to hear from you Zippy!
Hit me up if you want some better prices on the Pilots man. However, as a wicked proud owner of Toyo truck tires, I must admit they make a super good product all around. As mentioned, those seem like two different "Rides" if ya ask me. Isnt the Proxe more of a "Comfort Ride" or do I have the my tires confused. Hmm. Either way. Anxious to hear how they are if you pull the trigger on em. If not, hit me up via PM.

Fitz
Old 12-13-18 | 05:49 AM
louczar
Driver

Originally Posted by CAHWY128
Buy the Michelin PS 4S. I am sure he makes more money on the TOYO's and that is why he recommends them.
My first thought was that guy / shop is getting kickbacks or spiff from the MFG. Do the research on the product you want and dont trust every work out of the salesman's mouth.

Old 12-13-18 | 08:45 AM
JBooGieRCF
Rookie

I had my Proxes on my previous car and I like them. I personally like them. They were not loud, ride was really comfy. I took them on the track a couple times, and they did have some nice grip. But as for spirited drives, well i'm in the south, you want spirited drive grab and airboat and go to the swamp (hahaha) But I'm happy with my toyos, and I went back with them for this car. A buddy of mine has a 1M and Michelins P4s and PSS are the only wheels he will run. But his drive style is way different than mine. I think the Toyos are good enough for how I drive.

Last edited by JBooGieRCF; 12-13-18 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-14-18 | 04:46 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Thumbs up Thank You!

Originally Posted by Davew77
If traction is your main concern, stick which Pilot Super Sports or Cup 2 tires (track). I can't speak for the P4S tires as I haven't tried them yet. But from the reviews I've seen I'm sure they are equal to or better than the older PSS. My next set of tires will be the P4S.
Also, newer Corvettes own the track. They have the highest lateral Gs on the skid pad. What tires come on a stock Vette? Michelins.
https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
Good read here Dave! Took your link and spun off into some Sub-links and found this Pilot Sport Cup 2 (ZP) which I didn't know exists. I have absolutely no clue what all the Lateral G Ratings mean, but it sure appears that Michelin has the market corned well. Also, I found it interesting that "Run-Flat" Tires provide better results too! This was a comment in the link you provided; "Notice the top 4 cars all have runflat tires. It's not well known but that's because the runflat technology actually IMPROVES grip. For some reason only GM takes advantage of it.
You might think it would make grip worse but it's actually the opposite"
Like these Cup 2 tires, the 4S tire really shouldn't be driven or stored (Uh-Oh) in freezing temps. Ive experienced the rear 4S tires of mine break free if theyre cold, or hitting water. Its definitely a tire that needs some heat first.
Sport Cup 2 Tires

Not to break off into a whole different topic on Zippys Thread but - I was curious what others here paid for their 4S Tires? Not sure how well I did on mine....Fronts = $313, and Rears = $330 (Each)
Old 12-14-18 | 07:56 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Originally Posted by gunnyfitz
not to break off into a whole different topic on zippys thread but - i was curious what others here paid for their 4s tires? Not sure how well i did on mine....fronts = $313, and rears = $330 (each)
4s 265/30/20 - $309
4s 295/30/20 - $345
Old 12-14-18 | 08:12 AM
CAHWY128
Advanced

I paid what ever Tire Rack had them for at the time plus $100 for the local shop to mount and balance.

I was very happy with Tire Rack. It was fast and simple. I like that.
Old 12-16-18 | 07:54 PM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Gunny,
the ZP (zero pressure) Cup2 do better in lateral G trials due to stiffer side walls so they can “run flat” without air.
Few minor draw backs: ZP tires are heavier, have less tread depth, costlier and ride quality is not as supple.
Always some trade offs for performance.
The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (12-28-18)
Old 12-27-18 | 11:08 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

I got the MPS4S on the other day, and what a tire ...they are absolutely epic!! For starters, driving off I felt the comfort right away. What a smooth ride. The grip is without a doubt all there too. Handling is solid, I can definitely feel that solid, rigid but not to much side wall of the tire. I can hit turns very hard, and merge on the freeway on the round about very hard. I couldn't be happier with them.

I had a feeling that guy was full of *****, and I had a feeling he was getting kick backs. He just had too. But as always, I like to voice it out on here with you guys.

I can firmly say the MPS4S is the tire to go on the RCF right now, without a doubt.

Cheers,
The following 2 users liked this post by ZiPPyRCF:
GunnyFitz (12-28-18), LRCSALES (12-28-18)
Old 12-28-18 | 07:40 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I got the MPS4S on the other day, and what a tire ...they are absolutely epic!! For starters, driving off I felt the comfort right away. What a smooth ride. The grip is without a doubt all there too. Handling is solid, I can definitely feel that solid, rigid but not to much side wall of the tire. I can hit turns very hard, and merge on the freeway on the round about very hard. I couldn't be happier with them.

I had a feeling that guy was full of *****, and I had a feeling he was getting kick backs. He just had too. But as always, I like to voice it out on here with you guys.

I can firmly say the MPS4S is the tire to go on the RCF right now, without a doubt.

Cheers,

I will also vouch for the MPS4S qutier than the old pilot ss and i feel like more grip in the summer even on Nitrous hits at 45 mph. I tried the 4s at about 45 50 degrees at a 45 mph roll with nos i had no traction available even at 60mph