RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Michelin VS Toyo

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-18, 11:03 AM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Michelin VS Toyo

I've finally pushed my tires to the max, as I'm coming up on 30K miles on my stock Michelin Pilot SS. I was about to order the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, but the tire shop was telling me those are actually cheap tires. I was shocked! He said the Toyo Proxes 4+ is a better made tire and will last longer. Now I'm thinking when he says better, does he mean just last longer or better performing.

Out here in Southern California, I noticed most tire shops push for Toyo. Granted, they are made in Japan and Michilin are made in the US so that does say something on quality, respectively. I'm just curious if anybody else was running the Toyo Proxes 4+. I remember we talked about this in another thread, and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a solid performing tire.

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
GunnyFitz (12-11-18)
Old 12-07-18, 12:25 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,940 Likes on 1,366 Posts

OK, first off your tire dealer is FOS. Second, the Proxes 4 Plus are are a High Performance All Season tire. The Michelin PS 4S is a Max Performance Summer Tire. Two different categories. According to Tire Rack the PS 4S rate at the top of the class. The Toyo Proxes 1, Toyo's Max Performance Summer tire is not yet rated. Neither is the Proxes 4 Plus. See charts attached.

Max Performance Summer:

High Performance All Season

BTW, I run the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position tire and like it a lot. IMHO, you DO NOT want an All Season tire!

Will the All Season tire last longer - Yes. But, handling is far more important to me. If you stay with the Michelins, go with the XL tires not the stock SL tires. XL tires have a stiffer sidewall, and will handle better than SL.

Last edited by flowrider; 12-07-18 at 12:30 PM.
GunnyFitz (12-14-18)
Old 12-07-18, 12:37 PM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

I ran 4S on my C7 and just bought a set for the RCF. That's the first time i've ever heard the Michelin 4s bashed like that. It depends on how you plan to use the tires, but if you liked the original PSS's you will not have any probs out of the 4S. Toyo is not even in the same discussion, but just my 2 cents. Tons of M's, GTR's, Vettes, and high end sports cars run them. Never really seen anyone on any of those boards say they had to have a set of Toyo's.
GunnyFitz (12-14-18)
Old 12-07-18, 12:39 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

Buy the Michelin PS 4S. I am sure he makes more money on the TOYO's and that is why he recommends them.

I ordered my PS 4S from Tire Rack and had a local dealer put them on. Easiest way to go IMHO.
Old 12-07-18, 01:10 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Michelin PS4S they are bazillion times better than our mushy stock PSS tires that have low load rating (soft sidewalls). If you like the MPSS then you will love the MPS4S.
GunnyFitz (12-14-18)
Old 12-07-18, 01:52 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I call BS. Every time I have ever strayed from Michelin for another brand I have always regretted it. There were always unforeseen trade-offs. Either the ride was worse, the road noise was worse, the traction was worse or sometimes all of the above. The Michelins may or may not wear out quicker, but I find that the traction, noise and ride quality is the best.

If traction is your main concern, stick which Pilot Super Sports or Cup 2 tires (track). I can't speak for the P4S tires as I haven't tried them yet. But from the reviews I've seen I'm sure they are equal to or better than the older PSS. My next set of tires will be the P4S.

Also, newer Corvettes own the track. They have the highest lateral Gs on the skid pad. What tires come on a stock Vette? Michelins.

https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings

Last edited by Davew77; 12-07-18 at 02:26 PM.
GunnyFitz (12-14-18)
Old 12-07-18, 06:02 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Davew77
I call BS. Every time I have ever strayed from Michelin for another brand I have always regretted it. There were always unforeseen trade-offs. Either the ride was worse, the road noise was worse, the traction was worse or sometimes all of the above. The Michelins may or may not wear out quicker, but I find that the traction, noise and ride quality is the best.

If traction is your main concern, stick which Pilot Super Sports or Cup 2 tires (track). I can't speak for the P4S tires as I haven't tried them yet. But from the reviews I've seen I'm sure they are equal to or better than the older PSS. My next set of tires will be the P4S.

Also, newer Corvettes own the track. They have the highest lateral Gs on the skid pad. What tires come on a stock Vette? Michelins.

https://fastestlaps.com/lists/top-grip-kings
Depends on what you're looking for in a tire but I think PSS are pretty ehhh (better than a lot of other tires but I personally do not like them). They're too soft and not responsive - mine are getting close to the end of their life and they're so damn loud now. I drove my friend's car with P4S and it's a night and day difference. I plan on switching to P4S but have to ride these PSS out for 3-4 more months since my SSRs won't be in until then.

Last edited by Lammyyy; 12-07-18 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-07-18, 07:17 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lammyyy
Depends on what you're looking for in a tire but I think PSS are pretty ehhh (better than a lot of other tires but I personally do not like them). They're too soft and not responsive - mine are getting close to the end of their life and they're so damn loud now. I drove my friend's car with P4S and it's a night and day difference. I plan on switching to P4S but have to ride these PSS out for 3-4 more months since my SSRs won't be in until then.
Does that mean you prefer the Toyo tires to the PSS?

Oh, when I ordered replacement PSS after the stock tires were worn down. The replacement tires had a higher load rating (stiffer sidewall). Maybe that's all you need?
Old 12-07-18, 07:39 PM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Does that mean you prefer the Toyo tires to the PSS?

Oh, when I ordered replacement PSS after the stock tires were worn down. The replacement tires had a higher load rating (stiffer sidewall). Maybe that's all you need?
I've done comparisons with the PSS vs P4S and I think the P4S blows the PSS out of the water. Worth the extra money in my opinion but I do a lot of spirited driving (like 90%) - if you just need daily duty and a little more then I'd recommend just saving your money and running a different tire. I run the Hankook Ventus V12 on my other car because the performance on them for the price is honestly pretty incredible. I've also heard great things about the Indy 500 Firehawk tires from a few local IS-F guys so I may consider trying those also.

I still think overall Michelin is better than Toyo aside from their R compound tires (those R888/R888R tires are pretty insane).
Old 12-07-18, 10:37 PM
ZiPPyRCF
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a feeling he was, as I said they seem to push Toyo very hard around here. I just figure I would voice it out on here, and I got the confirmation from you guys as expected. The Michelin tires have been ordered and should be here in a day or two. Looking forward to getting them on.
Old 12-07-18, 10:54 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

I've done comparisons with the PSS vs P4S and I think the P4S blows the PSS out of the water. Worth the extra money in my opinion but I do a lot of spirited driving (like 90%) - if you just need daily duty and a little more then I'd recommend just saving your money and running a different tire. I run the Hankook Ventus V12 on my other car because the performance on them for the price is honestly pretty incredible. I've also heard great things about the Indy 500 Firehawk tires from a few local IS-F guys so I may consider trying those also.

I still think overall Michelin is better than Toyo aside from their R compound tires (those R888/R888R tires are pretty insane).
I've yet to try the P4S, but will as soon as my new RC F arrives. But I've been happy with my PSS and the all season version (A/S3+) in the colder months in South Florida. Summer tires are like hockey pucks when it gets below 50 degrees. I'm in a country setting so I drive spirited 90%+ of the time. I only have to deal with traffic if I go into town. I have hit my speed limiter many times. If you search the forums here you'll find that I was the first to post a video of the GPS verified top speed of the RC F. The PSS have served me well at high speeds.
Old 12-08-18, 05:59 AM
Mingofish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 330 Likes on 231 Posts

R888r for the win!!
Doable for daily driving if you can stand the short life span.
pretty loud road noise tho..
Old 12-08-18, 06:28 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

I've yet to try the P4S, but will as soon as my new RC F arrives. But I've been happy with my PSS and the all season version (A/S3+) in the colder months in South Florida. Summer tires are like hockey pucks when it gets below 50 degrees. I'm in a country setting so I drive spirited 90%+ of the time. I only have to deal with traffic if I go into town. I have hit my speed limiter many times. If you search the forums here you'll find that I was the first to post a video of the GPS verified top speed of the RC F. The PSS have served me well at high speeds.
Yeah if you’re driving mostly straightaways or wide high speed roads then either PSS/P4S will do what you need just fine!

I do most of my driving in windy mountain roads which is why I lean towards the P4S.

Originally Posted by Mingofish

R888r for the win!!
Doable for daily driving if you can stand the short life span.
pretty loud road noise tho..
Yes! They’re crazy tires haha but they have such a short life. Hard to justify spending the same coin for nearly 3x less mileage

The tread pattern does look damn cool though LOL

Old 12-08-18, 12:16 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Originally Posted by ZiPPyRCF
I had a feeling he was, as I said they seem to push Toyo very hard around here. I just figure I would voice it out on here, and I got the confirmation from you guys as expected. The Michelin tires have been ordered and should be here in a day or two. Looking forward to getting them on.
Can you write a review as soon as you drive with the new MPS4S on? Would like to hear your impressions. Thanks.
Old 12-10-18, 04:42 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I’ve had both. Now running the SC stage 2 and 640 whp, I can without a doubt PS4 is your tire. I tracked Watkins Glen on the SC setup with PS4s in the rain, and it was more than fine. The PS4 is legitimately the best tire on the market in its class. I had Toyo’s ( proxy sports ) on my first set of 20s. Not a bad tire, but the PS4 is def more performance oriented. With my -2.8 in the rear I’m seeing about 12-15k miles which is a solid for my setup. For the track next year, I’ll be running r comps and can report more.

Good luck 👍
Mingofish (12-10-18)

Quick Reply: Michelin VS Toyo