Horrible reversing clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 06:25 AM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horrible reversing clunking noise

Hey everyone,

This issue has been happening for a while now and im finally gonna take it to the dealer to see whats going on this weekend. But i wanted to see if anyone else had experience with a really bad clunking noise when reversing and the wheel is turned all the way either left or right. It will make a clunk or two and you can literally feel it throughout the entire car. Sounds like something is seriously about to break lol
Old 12-19-18, 07:10 AM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Is the car stock or what all has been done to it?
Old 12-19-18, 07:44 AM
LXSDO
Advanced

Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts

This has been brought up in the past on a couple occasions. It's your tires. Especially when cold. That would be my guess.

​​​​​
Old 12-19-18, 07:51 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddiegee
Hey everyone,

This issue has been happening for a while now and im finally gonna take it to the dealer to see whats going on this weekend. But i wanted to see if anyone else had experience with a really bad clunking noise when reversing and the wheel is turned all the way either left or right. It will make a clunk or two and you can literally feel it throughout the entire car. Sounds like something is seriously about to break lol

also could be your front tires scrubbing . common on our car and the IS line . at full lock the wheel is great enough that the side wall of the tire will rull under. Where is your noise coming from. Impossible to diagnose without more specific details.
Old 12-19-18, 08:53 AM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hwcustoms
Is the car stock or what all has been done to it?
Car is completely stock.

Originally Posted by LXSDO
This has been brought up in the past on a couple occasions. It's your tires. Especially when cold. That would be my guess.

​​​​​
so was there anything people did to fix it? It’s a pretty horrible noise lol it does tend to be worse when it’s cold tho.

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
also could be your front tires scrubbing . common on our car and the IS line . at full lock the wheel is great enough that the side wall of the tire will rull under. Where is your noise coming from. Impossible to diagnose without more specific details.
I believe the noise is coming from the wheel well. It’s one sometimes two very distinct clunking sounds, not a constant noise like something is rubbing the entire time.

thanks everyone btw...

Old 12-19-18, 10:27 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Car is completely stock.

so was there anything people did to fix it? It’s a pretty horrible noise lol it does tend to be worse when it’s cold tho.

I believe the noise is coming from the wheel well. It’s one sometimes two very distinct clunking sounds, not a constant noise like something is rubbing the entire time.

thanks everyone btw...

in the front or the rear?
Old 12-19-18, 01:26 PM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LRCSALES
in the front or the rear?

Its coming from the front.
Old 12-19-18, 10:06 PM
konichiwa3
Intermediate

Received 317 Likes on 175 Posts

Car is completely stock.

thanks everyone btw...

Get used to it. It's the way Michelin tires, super sport and PS4 (assuming that's what you have on) behave in cold weather. Nothing to fix. High performance components tend to have their own quirks/peculiarities. Many years ago I had an AMG with Michelin super sport and they behaved the same way so I wasn't alarmed when I noticed the same on the RCF.
Old 12-20-18, 04:52 AM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by konichiwa3
Get used to it. It's the way Michelin tires, super sport and PS4 (assuming that's what you have on) behave in cold weather. Nothing to fix. High performance components tend to have their own quirks/peculiarities. Many years ago I had an AMG with Michelin super sport and they behaved the same way so I wasn't alarmed when I noticed the same on the RCF.

so so what exactly is happening with the he tire that it’s making that noise?
Old 12-20-18, 06:37 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

so so what exactly is happening with the he tire that it’s making that noise?

​​​​​​
also could be your front tires scrubbing . common on our car and the IS line . at full lock the wheel is great enough that the side wall of the tire will roll under. Where is your noise coming from. Impossible to diagnose without more specific details.
Old 12-20-18, 10:59 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

It will "self fix" when things get warmer. I fixed the issue in the cold by getting all-seasons.
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (12-20-18)
Old 12-20-18, 11:14 AM
Lammyyy
Pole Position

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

It's normal with high performance tires when it's cold.

Warm up the tires like others have said and do a full lock reverse turn and report back to us
Old 12-20-18, 10:51 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Summer tires in winter time. Normal. I put PS A/S3+ on both my F cars for winter because the PS 4S chatter like a squirrel when you make a u-turn and it's below 45F outside. Your LCA rear bushing doesn't help with this either. Polyurethane or solid bushings tend to make a lot less noise under these conditions (but sometimes more noise under normal conditions depending on the roads you normally drive.)
Old 12-27-18, 06:19 AM
Eddiegee
Driver School Candidate

Dang you guys were right lol i did a full lock turn in the warmer weather and sure enough no noise. Weird lol THANKS EVERYONE!
The following 2 users liked this post by Eddiegee:
lobuxracer (01-07-19), LRCSALES (12-27-18)