Cyclical Buzzing/Humming Noise Around 75mph

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-18, 06:02 PM
Jleez099
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyclical Buzzing/Humming Noise Around 75mph

Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this post is elsewhere within the RCF community. I've searched and I only came across a thread within the ISF community that this issue came up in and it's quite dated. Link below if anyone is interested in reading...

​https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-f-2008-2014/758705-low-cyclical-humming-noise-at-70-mph-any-clues.html&ved=2ahUKEwibi9Ge36_fAhUOLKwKHfjsCMkQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3G_FVK0PCakIeg9vCw0yR8

So I have been hearing some faint cyclical humming/buzzing noise at around 70 to 75mph within the cabin.. can't really pin point the source. I can make the noise slightly more noticable on Sports+ mode with manual on 8th gear. I think it's because of the amplified engine noise from the speakers?

A quick history of the car:
  • Bought 2016 Certified Pre-Owned @ Sewell Lexus 11/1/18
  • Had 2,800 miles and driven another 2,200 miles
  • No mods that I am aware of.
  • Previous owner was a Lexus employee. One of the "fleet cars" from what I was told.
  • Performance package
  • In April, 2018 had the fuel pumps replaced. I made sure to ask for all service records. Service records also shows in June, 2016 "customer had asked for a ECM software evaluation" and all they did was just that. No resets or anything.
  • I try to use Shell gas as much as I can but this past month I've used Texaco, Chevron as well.
There is a high possibility that it could just be the tires. However, these are the stock tires and just by visually looking at them, I do not see any uneven wear. I might be paranoid but I'm hoping this has nothing to do with the fuel pumps. From reading about the fuel pump issues, it looks like it was making the noise when the car is on idle vs the noise at 70+ mph.

I would love to swap out my wheels with new tires and see if the noise persist but that purchase won't happen until another 6 months or so (Saving up for them). I just hope that this noise is normal and it won't cause any problems internally.

All I can think of is maybe the tires were damaged during the TX summer months as it had been sitting in the dealership's lot for quite a while. Service records also show that Park Place Lexus did a multi-point inspection in October, 2017 when it had around 2,400 miles and the low tire pressure light was on "per customer". (I'm guessing this was when the car was returned?)

Has anyone experienced anything like this before on the RCF?

Thank you all!

J.

TLDR
Car makes humming/buzzing noise at above 70mph. Fuel pumps were replaced April, 2018. Car had been sitting in the dealership lot for quite sometime before purchasing. Could be damage to the tires or could be the fuel pump showing signs of struggle? Or could be me going bat **** crazy.
Old 12-20-18, 07:41 PM
Burch_RCF
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

There is nothing like a noise to drive you crazy.

Does the car have Mark Levinson? I had an amplifier issue in an older GS and got feedback at higher RPM's. But with amp feedback you should be able to recreate at other speeds and even by revving. Could be totally unrelated, but thought i would share.

Could definitely be a tire issue, but i highly doubt they were damaged by being at the dealer. Cars are often times rotated and moved for various reasons around the lot. Tire pressure could have just been routine maintenance or a decrease in the temp causing it to be a couple pounds low.

The fleet vehicles at corporate are taken care of and very well maintenanced so i wouldn't worry there. Also LCPO inspections are extremely thorough and carry a great warranty. Sewell is an awesome dealer have you spoke to them about it?

Last edited by Burch_RCF; 12-20-18 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-21-18, 09:26 AM
Jleez099
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right, I went on to buy this car since it's LCPO and Sewell has a pretty good reputation so I don't think they would put their name on the line doing anything shady.

Just this noise is driving me crazy... It might just be me. I'll swing by Sewell later today to see if I can replicate it with one of their techs in the car.

Thanks for your input!
Old 12-21-18, 12:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,484 Likes on 1,788 Posts

Is it your rear fuel pump? The known issue for which a TSB is out. You will have to get your ECU reflashed.