RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Track Day Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-19 | 01:44 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Default Track Day Helmet

Looking at signing up for a track day and it required a snell SA2005 helmet. My Shoei helmet is M rated and not allowed. Any advise on choosing a helmet?
Old 02-09-19 | 04:56 PM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Default My Vote - Bell Star

As one who raced Ducatis for years I've tried every high end Helmet built, some sponsored. Really dont know what's required and accepted for cage racing. I bet Race Car Helmets differ than bikes, but can give you some professional insight based on my experience. These are my two faves:

Bell Star - they patented the Transition Shield so you never need sunglasses, and is by far the most comfortable and seriously vented helmet on market (IMHO of course)
Bell Racing

Arai - serious racing helmet that is seriously fitted, almost too tight - which is why they have several Head Shapes.

Shoei makes fine helmets too and I'm surprised they wont permit you to use it, unless it's an older model?

One thing that Tech was always serious about was "How Old" the helmet was. Anything stamped older than 5 years meant you weren't allowed on the track! Like bulletproof vests, they all have a shelf life and could possibly fail after a certain period. Just something to think about. Of course there are definitely some serious RCF Track Addicts here who can give better advice than myself. Just my input from a guy who misses draggin his knee on the pavement at 110mph. 😎

Old 02-09-19 | 05:09 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

The issue with using M rated is they are not made with fire proof materials. Great helmet, just doesn't meet the requirements for SA rating.
I will look at the Bell.
Looks like 2 localish events and one at Mid Ohio. I haven't tried before, but REALLY interested.
Old 02-09-19 | 05:40 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

You can typically rent helmets from the HPDE organizer or from a local shop. Several places will rent them online as well.

https://autointerests.com/helmet-rental

I'd advise renting until you decide you want to do more of this, but get an inexpensive nomex balaclava for some added comfort

My wife's latest is an Arai (right), her old one was a Bell.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 02-09-19 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-09-19 | 05:57 PM
SoSlow
Pole Position

Good to know. Autointerest is running the events I'm looking at. Rental may be a decent idea. I definitely would like to try one on before buying. I would think Indianapolis would have a couple shops I could visit for fit and feel.
Old 02-09-19 | 06:01 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yep. If it’s a busy event there usually is a vendor or two trackside that sells helmets so you can try them on at the event. Just make sure you have the rental lined up before showing up (don’t count on them to have one)

good primer thread to read
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/roa...ighlight=Track
The following users liked this post:
lobuxracer (02-12-19)
Old 02-12-19 | 06:05 AM
SoSlow
Pole Position

How about HPDE insurance? From what I read, my State Farm policy is not going to cover me, my car or any damage I do during a track day. I did an online quote at On Track Insurance and the coverage is basically $300 per event. I'm sure everyone thinks, it won't happen to me but it happens and could 100% not be your fault. Then what? What is everyone using for coverage?
Old 02-12-19 | 06:43 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

My observation is most folks roll the dice. When my wife was climbing through HPDE ranks we only bought it once during an iffy weather event

These guys are fairly prevalent on the east coast (and who we used at the time)

https://locktonmotorsports.com/product/hpde-insurance
Old 02-12-19 | 05:08 PM
skipetenj
Driver

Good and inexpensive helmet